VWoA Strikes Again

Old March 11th 05, 01:54 PM
Charles Fregeau

"Ben Boyle" > wrote in message
> The original Isetta was made by Iso, an Italian refrigerator manufacturer.
> But, the Isettas that BMW built under license
> were reworked quite a bit. They had BMW drivetrains and most of their
> components are unique to them, and not to the Iso
> Isettas.

That would explain the front of the design then. Not to put the Isetta
down, but people that drive the new 5 series might be a bit embarrased to
admit that BMW ever did something called the Isetta. Just like the Jag
drivers might be embarrased by Swallow Sidecar Company. I get the feeling
the current VWoA is feeling the same way about the Beetle to a certain
extent. . . .

Charles of Kankakee

Old March 11th 05, 02:21 PM

Tony,
VWoA does not really have a leg to stand on here. This is a
bullying tactic used often by large companies on us small guys. You
should really read
http://www.paypalsucks.com/domain-name-disputes.shtml as this falls
into the same catagory as their dispute with Paypal over the name...
There is a LOT of case law in your favor here.

www.onlineaircooledparts.com. Please change our web link
>"www.suncoastbug.com" on your club website to
>"www.onlineaircooledparts.com" to help us comply with their demands.
>*
>I'm sorry for any inconvenience this might cause. Believe me this is not
>something that I feel very good about. Thank you for your help. We look
>forward to seeing you at your upcoming show.
>*
>*
>Tony,
>OnLine AirCooled Parts"

- Chris
eldgrim(at)yahoo.com
Old March 11th 05, 02:38 PM
jjs

"Ben Boyle" > wrote in message
> The original Isetta was made by Iso, an Italian refrigerator manufacturer.

Cool!

Old March 11th 05, 02:40 PM
jjs

"Charles Fregeau" > wrote in message

> Yes but it was branded BMW, and a far cry from the stuff they put out
> today. Although those little Isettas seem to survive. I saw one in near
> mint condition in Palatine a year ago.

There is one just two blocks from my house. It has been under tarps for
forty years. I did some snapshots of it for him so he could eBay it. He
looked at it and put it back under the tarps where it will probably sit
forever again. *sigh*

Old March 11th 05, 07:50 PM
Seth Graham

On 2005-03-11, Busman > wrote:
> Yup, this is why I no longer buy anything from VW. I think we need to get a
> letter writing camapign going where we all take pictures of our VWs with the
> logos blotted out (or maybe changed to Swastikas?) and send them to VW with
> a note telling them that you'll never buy anything until they end this
> stupid policy. Assinine.

It is stupid, but the way I understand it US law actually obligates
them to do this sort of thing.

If they don't defend it as a trademark, eventually they will lose the
right to claim it as theirs. While it would certainly be nice of them
to drop the name into the "public domain", the bug is one of the most
recognized symbols of the last century and probably still has some
real value attached to it.

From what I gather, trademark law and being nice don't mix very well.

Not saying this puts VWoA into a better light, heck I'd still be at
the front of the lynch mob. Just saying that their hand is being
forced. If there was some way for them to maintain the trademark and
ignore the classic VW community, I'd lay my money on them turning a
blind eye to all of us.
Old March 11th 05, 10:07 PM
John Willis

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:51:35 GMT, "Busman" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>Yup, this is why I no longer buy anything from VW. I think we need to get a
>letter writing camapign going where we all take pictures of our VWs with the
>logos blotted out (or maybe changed to Swastikas?) and send them to VW with
>a note telling them that you'll never buy anything until they end this
>stupid policy. Assinine.
>Andy
>63 Caravelle Camper

I have several "X" emblems left. They are designed to be just a fit as
a replacement part for the "VW" symbol on most Beetles.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old March 12th 05, 05:07 AM
Bernd Felsche

Seth Graham > writes:

>On 2005-03-11, Busman > wrote:
>> Yup, this is why I no longer buy anything from VW. I think we
>> need to get a letter writing camapign going where we all take
>> pictures of our VWs with the logos blotted out (or maybe changed
>> to Swastikas?) and send them to VW with a note telling them that
>> you'll never buy anything until they end this stupid policy.
>> Assinine.

>It is stupid, but the way I understand it US law actually obligates
>them to do this sort of thing.

>If they don't defend it as a trademark, eventually they will lose the
>right to claim it as theirs. While it would certainly be nice of them
>to drop the name into the "public domain", the bug is one of the most
>recognized symbols of the last century and probably still has some
>real value attached to it.

>From what I gather, trademark law and being nice don't mix very well.

>Not saying this puts VWoA into a better light, heck I'd still be at
>the front of the lynch mob. Just saying that their hand is being
>forced. If there was some way for them to maintain the trademark and
>ignore the classic VW community, I'd lay my money on them turning a
>blind eye to all of us.

"Bug" came from common use and was adopted by VW's marketing
agents from the vernacular. It would have been trademarked way
*after* (if at all) the word was commonly used as as synonymn for
the car. As such, the trademark, if it exists, would be weak.

Lawyers get paid to send out cease and decist letters.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
X against HTML mail | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \ and postings | to help me spread!

VWoA buys into Hollywood jjs VW air cooled 1 January 13th 05 10:28 PM
EA strikes again Indy Simulators 63 January 12th 05 10:27 PM
Semi OT VWoA Bill Berckman VW air cooled 17 November 14th 04 06:21 AM