88 Fox poor starting

Old November 29th 04, 03:38 AM
Randolph

Lambert Moonen wrote:

> Dave Would you be able to expliane to me the function of the thermo switch
> and connection to starter motor because you know wher you are talking about.
> thanks moony

I am no Dave, but I have worked on CIS-e a bit. The switch is actually
referred to as a thermo-time-switch. It has a bimetal type switch and a
small heating element in it. When the switch goes above a certain
temperature it opens up. It is heated both by the engine and by the
heating element. After you apply power, it will heat up and then shut
off. The colder the engine is, the longer it will take to shut off. The
delay time can be as high as a dozen or so seconds. If the engine is
warm, the switch will be off and stay off.

The switch turns on the cold start valve (the fifth injector) and the
goal is to turn it on when you first turn the key to "start" and then
turn it off shortly thereafter. Thus the connection to the starter
solenoid. If the car doesn't start on the first attempt, the second
attempt will give little or no cold-start valve action, as the thermo
time switch was already heated on the first attempt.
Old November 29th 04, 04:29 AM
Lambert Moonen

Thank you genteman for your profesional answers
great help study the books but got confused
has been bogging me for years to find out now I got it. hope to restore the
car because it gave me 10 years service and I know wat I got I buy another
how knows wat problems I buy in this electronic gismos age car world
.......OOOO the good old times of simple carburateurs and chokes en ignition
curse be on the new cars only the dealers get rich liltle mechanic is out of
bussines. or screws the customer because he don't know what he is doing
thank again for your time and help. moony.
nk.net...

Old November 29th 04, 04:29 AM
Lambert Moonen

Old November 29th 04, 05:08 AM
dave

>From: Randolph
>
>Lambert Moonen wrote:
>>
>> Dave Would you be able to expliane to me the function of the thermo switch
>> and connection to starter motor because you know wher you are talking

>about.
>> thanks moony

>I am no Dave, but I have worked on CIS-e a bit. The switch is actually
>referred to as a thermo-time-switch. It has a bimetal type switch and a
>small heating element in it. When the switch goes above a certain
>temperature it opens up. It is heated both by the engine and by the
>heating element. After you apply power, it will heat up and then shut
>off. The colder the engine is, the longer it will take to shut off. The
>delay time can be as high as a dozen or so seconds. If the engine is
>warm, the switch will be off and stay off.
>
>The switch turns on the cold start valve (the fifth injector) and the
>goal is to turn it on when you first turn the key to "start" and then
>turn it off shortly thereafter. Thus the connection to the starter
>solenoid. If the car doesn't start on the first attempt, the second
>attempt will give little or no cold-start valve action, as the thermo
>time switch was already heated on the first attempt.

I was about to post.............Randolph are you sure about that? Does it have
a heating element in it?
I was thinking that the thermo switch would only open the circuit when the
coolant got warm enough. So when the coolant was cold the circuit would be
closed and would allow the cold start valve to function.
This switch was/is only heated by the coolant thus if the engine did not start
during the first attempt, the cold start could continue to operate during the
next attempts also.

These sites agree with you so now I believe that it DOES have a heating element
in it!
http://www.mirafiori.com/~thad/fi/thermot.html
http://www.international-auto.com/in...m?fa=ad&aid=15
http://www.ffp-motorsport.com/glossary/thermo.php

As I understand that heating element will help to lessen an engine full of gas
if it does not start after a few attempts!

I am constantly learning more and more each day.
Thanks Randolph! ;-)

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old November 29th 04, 05:08 AM
dave

Old November 29th 04, 08:50 AM
Lambert Moonen

Boy I ame learning a lot even with me being 72
well you never to old to learn new tricks except with the ladys das ist
kaput.!!!!!! danke

Old November 29th 04, 08:50 AM
Lambert Moonen

Old December 12th 04, 10:42 AM
Lambert Moonen

Old December 12th 04, 10:42 AM
Lambert Moonen

Old March 3rd 05, 07:16 AM
Lambert Moonen

Had to renew my gastank in my 1967 V.W.beetle. Since the car is in storage
and seldom used how can I prevent rust and condence from acumilating in the
tank.
should I coat it with some oil.?
Thanks Moony.