The 1967 VW Homepage

Old February 14th 05, 08:10 PM
bill may

early 67's have a inside unlock knob that is round on top not flat like
your jan 67 on ones in picture(like my aug.66 produced) while oct-dec.
had knob had no "flutes" on bottom. 1968 went to post with nuts to hold
ring terminals on generater in stead of 67 pushon spade type. also my
early 67 (aug. 66) did not have spring on inside door latch as my oct
66 productin one has.

Old February 15th 05, 05:48 AM
veedub1967

> I've never seen a Beetle with a dealer fitted Becker. These were very
> expensive when new, so mostly ended up in Porsche or Mercedes!

That's great to hear! My '71 1302 (bought it from 1st owner) came with a
Becker Europa with cassette!

Old February 15th 05, 10:21 PM
cloud8

"veedub1967" > wrote in news:eafQd.1927364
:

> My '71 1302 (bought it from 1st owner) came with a
> Becker Europa with cassette!

Cool. What bands did the Becker tune?

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.
Old February 16th 05, 12:31 AM
Howard Rose

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 04:48:10 GMT, "veedub1967" >
wrote:

>That's great to hear! My '71 1302 (bought it from 1st owner) came with a
>Becker Europa with cassette!

Extra cool!

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old February 16th 05, 05:05 AM
veedub1967

AM & FM...

but something strange.. it had those old mercedes knobs with the chrome ring
in the middle!

">

Old February 16th 05, 05:17 AM
veedub1967

Hey Jim,

Got a pic of a sapphire v he
http://www.geocities.com/veedub1967/sapphirev.jpg

As for the crank knobs, I got a pair from germany but just simply too
precious to put on as i believe they crack easily.. no wonder vw changed
them after a year.. I'm pretty confident they're the right ones as the user
manual shows them to be chrome and black..:
http://www.geocities.com/veedub1967/7.jpg Anyway, wolfsburg west claims to
have reproed them, but they're never in stock! :
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/De...?ID=113837581e

Thanks for all the much valued info!

Ken

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Monday, February 14 2005, @ 10:01 AM (-0800 GMT)
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> I've only seen Sapphire IV and Sapphire VI "ALL TRANSISTOR," made by
> Bendix, here in the U.S. I suppose, like you say, the Sapphire V is
> here also, it has to be, but I've never seen one. Both the IV and the
> VI are EXACTLY as you describe below. Both have fake "chrome" buttons
> and knobs. Judging by what I've seen over many years, the "IV," which
> is AM only, was the most popular. Only a small percentage of Bugs had
> the "VI," which was AM/FM. The reason for that, I suspect, (other than
> a higher price), was that in 1966/67, there were relatively few FM
> radio stations here.
>
> The window crank knobs you show on your web page "look" original,
> certainly more original than the smaller diameter black plastic after
> market types I had. I've never seen the originals. I've just been told
> they are "rubbery" and large diameter just like the dash knobs. I
> assumed they were all black. I'm surprised to see yours
> are/silver/black.
>
> Jim
>
> http://www.ClassicVWBug4Sale.info
>
> Many fotos - many links - many pages. <g>
>

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:11:10 GMT, "veedub1967" >
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for that. Sapphire was only available to the US market, while UK
>>and
>>Asia were offered Blaupunkts and Beckers. I'm rather confused, I thought
>>67's in the US used Sapphire V, which had chrome buttons and chrome knobs.
>>
>>As for the door knobs, were the ones I have on the site orignal? I had
>>those
>>on my car when I bought them, and I managed to find another pair at a swap
>>meet when I was in the US for a holiday. They have a tendency to bend over
>>time, but I got spares!
>>
>>Thanks again, and please clarify if you can..
>>
>>Ken

. ..

Old February 16th 05, 05:39 AM
veedub1967

Hey Bill,

> early 67's have a inside unlock knob that is round on top not flat like
> your jan 67 on ones in picture(like my aug.66 produced) while oct-dec.
> had knob had no "flutes" on bottom.

I noticed that on the other 67s in Singapore.. always thought they were for
68 and after.. can anybody confirm? My parts book claims the part number
111837187B..

>1968 went to post with nuts to hold ring terminals on generater in stead of
>67 pushon spade type. also my
> early 67 (aug. 66) did not have spring on inside door latch as my oct
> 66 productin one has.

So let me get this straight... the 67 generator was a spade connector like a
66, except it was 12 volt?

Thanks
Ken

Old February 16th 05, 07:48 AM
veedub1967

Hi Howard,

I've checked and triple checked... and you're right!
Thanks for that!

Ken

Old February 16th 05, 01:02 PM
Howard Rose

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 04:39:42 GMT, "veedub1967" >
wrote:

>So let me get this straight... the 67 generator was a spade connector like a
>66, except it was 12 volt?

IIRC, the '67 dynamo was the same as a '66 type, except it was 12v.
The starter was another odd one, having 12v but the earlier style
flywheel size. Another 1-year-only part!

Old February 16th 05, 05:05 PM
Jim

Wednesday, February 16 2005, @ 7:56 AM (-0800 GMT)

Hmmm.... The picture of a Sapphire V looks just like a Sapphire VI
which is (I thought?) the first AM/FM in the series. In your pic the
chrome horizontal "bar," is, in the Sapphire VI, a "slider." You slide
it to one side for AM or the other way, maybe a 1/2 inch, for FM. I
can't see the numbers on the dial too clearly on your pic, but it
appears to be a single row? In that case the "V" would probably be an
AM type and the "slider bar" fixed in position. On ther "VI" you can
clearly see TWO rows of numbers on the dial, one for AM stations and
the other for FM. I think (maybe?) the high res photo of the dashboard
of my '67 shows the double number set.

Wow, thanks for posting the links to the 67 crank handles. They really
look MUCH better than the aftermarket ones on my car. The black knob
is twice the size and likely much easier to crank up/down.

Wolfburg West is, if I remember right, the place where I got the
bumpers for my 67. They were hand fitted "jewels" that were then
triple plated and polished, with the inside area being in a grey
primer-like paint. Each bumper cost about $300 and came in a
"leather-like" bag, kinda like what you might carry gold clubs in.
:-)

Jim
http://www.ClassicVWBug4Sale.info

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 04:17:51 GMT, "veedub1967" >
wrote:

>Hey Jim,
>
>Got a pic of a sapphire v he
>http://www.geocities.com/veedub1967/sapphirev.jpg
>
>As for the crank knobs, I got a pair from germany but just simply too
>precious to put on as i believe they crack easily.. no wonder vw changed
>them after a year.. I'm pretty confident they're the right ones as the user
>manual shows them to be chrome and black..:
>http://www.geocities.com/veedub1967/7.jpg Anyway, wolfsburg west claims to
>have reproed them, but they're never in stock! :
>http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/De...?ID=113837581e
>
>Thanks for all the much valued info!
>
>Ken
>

>"Jim" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Monday, February 14 2005, @ 10:01 AM (-0800 GMT)
>>
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> I've only seen Sapphire IV and Sapphire VI "ALL TRANSISTOR," made by
>> Bendix, here in the U.S. I suppose, like you say, the Sapphire V is
>> here also, it has to be, but I've never seen one. Both the IV and the
>> VI are EXACTLY as you describe below. Both have fake "chrome" buttons
>> and knobs. Judging by what I've seen over many years, the "IV," which
>> is AM only, was the most popular. Only a small percentage of Bugs had
>> the "VI," which was AM/FM. The reason for that, I suspect, (other than
>> a higher price), was that in 1966/67, there were relatively few FM
>> radio stations here.
>>
>> The window crank knobs you show on your web page "look" original,
>> certainly more original than the smaller diameter black plastic after
>> market types I had. I've never seen the originals. I've just been told
>> they are "rubbery" and large diameter just like the dash knobs. I
>> assumed they were all black. I'm surprised to see yours
>> are/silver/black.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> http://www.ClassicVWBug4Sale.info
>>
>> Many fotos - many links - many pages. <g>
>>

>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:11:10 GMT, "veedub1967" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for that. Sapphire was only available to the US market, while UK
>>>and
>>>Asia were offered Blaupunkts and Beckers. I'm rather confused, I thought
>>>67's in the US used Sapphire V, which had chrome buttons and chrome knobs.
>>>
>>>As for the door knobs, were the ones I have on the site orignal? I had
>>>those
>>>on my car when I bought them, and I managed to find another pair at a swap
>>>meet when I was in the US for a holiday. They have a tendency to bend over
>>>time, but I got spares!
>>>
>>>Thanks again, and please clarify if you can..
>>>
>>>Ken

1967 VW Bug: Special and 1-year only features... Jim VW water cooled 19 February 16th 05 05:36 PM
1967 Fury III sunnyinaz Chrysler 6 February 14th 05 11:17 PM
F.S.Olds 1967 Delta 88 Conv. Parts [email protected] Antique cars 1 January 4th 05 04:41 PM
1967 Ford Galaxie JP Antique cars 0 August 14th 04 03:11 AM
FS: 1967 Mustang Convt Mark Antique cars 0 April 22nd 04 07:41 PM