Deer Danger

Old May 24th 05, 12:29 PM
Joe Canuck

Garrison Hilliard wrote:

> This is a peak time of year for deer crashes, even in heavily populated
> areas.

The best way to stay on guard is to always expect the unexpected.

Old May 24th 05, 01:35 PM

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
> This is a peak time of year for deer crashes, even in heavily

populated
> areas.

Grass becomes the main food for deer during the summer months and
since there isn't much grass growing in the woods the deer head for the
areas next to the highways where there is plenty of grass growing to
graze (feed) on. That's why you see so many deer at night along the
highways during the summer, they're feeding. Generally, deer don't
cross busy roads unless they've been spooked by a predator (the deer
came out of no where!). Never swerve abruptly to avoid hitting a deer,
you have a good chance of rolling your car. It's better to just hit
the deer. Deer tend to eat farmer's crops in the fall months and
stuff like acorns and bark in the winter.

John

Old May 24th 05, 02:00 PM
RonSonic

On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:18:40 -0700, "greggery peccary" <.@.> wrote:

>"Garrison Hilliard" > wrote in message
>> This is a peak time of year for deer crashes, even in heavily populated
>> areas.
>>

>i almost crushed a squirrel yesterday, but hitting a deer on a bike would be
>something...anyone ever?...naw!

It happens. A buddy nearly got creamed on his MTB going up some wooded single
track. Seems someone up ahead had spooked this deer who went barrelling down the
trail right into Wayne. He saw the antlers coming at him and ditched. If he were
riding faster, he'd have eaten it.

Ron

Old May 24th 05, 02:12 PM
Maggie

Ken wrote:

> I have never seen or heard of anyone hitting a deer on a bicycle!
> But the bike woould probably get the worst of it.
>
> Ken

I was thinking the same thing. I ride my bike up in PA with my
brother. He has deer all around him. He actually feeds them. They
come to his back door for food. Along with every other creature that
lives on the acres of land he bought up there. I was there once while
the Mama's were bringing their little babies around. It was cute.

Anyway, to get back on track. We all ride around that area, and I
can't even imagine how we could not avoid a deer on a bicycle. Unless
you are training for an event and really going fast.

As far as I am concerned, I doubt very seriously if they are a huge
threat to someone on a bike. A car is a different story. Even in that
instance, if you hit the deer, the animal is dead and you have a
wrecked front end. (happened to my brother)

My husband hit a big dog that got loose in our suburban town. The dog
got up and left, my husband had alot of damage to the front end of the
car. I think the deaths happen when we try to avoid the deer and end
up hitting a wall or another car coming in the opposite direction.

Maggie.

How did this car/deer thread get on a bicycle NG. We never go OT. ;-)

Old May 24th 05, 03:20 PM
LL bean

In article >,
"Ken" > wrote:

> I have never seen or heard of anyone hitting a deer on a bicycle!
> But the bike woould probably get the worst of it.
>
> Ken

Well, I hit a deer on my motorcycle. I almost died. I really don't
remember how it happened. I was in and out of a coma.
The deer whistles didn't help.

g adds.
MONEY , what a concept

Old May 24th 05, 04:36 PM
Ted B.

> My husband hit a big dog that got loose in our suburban town. The dog
> got up and left, my husband had alot of damage to the front end of the
> car. I think the deaths happen when we try to avoid the deer and end
> up hitting a wall or another car coming in the opposite direction.
>
> Maggie.

Actually, large animals like deer have an annoying tendency to roll up over
the hood and crash through the windshield. Imagine taking a hoof to the
face at 70MPH. -Dave

Old May 24th 05, 05:11 PM
Maggie

Ted B. wrote:
Imagine taking a hoof to the face at 70MPH. -Dave

Thanks but no thanks.....
-Mags

DANGER DONT DO THIS TO YOUR ENGINE [email protected] Ford Mustang 4 May 7th 05 08:04 AM
Car accident while saving a deer aspadda Driving 21 March 31st 05 03:52 AM
Deer Whistlers - Any Good? pws Mazda 13 November 20th 04 02:20 AM
miata versus deer pws Mazda 6 October 2nd 04 12:32 AM