95 Wrangler O2 Sensor Wiring HELP!

Old February 28th 05, 08:36 PM
JMH

Default 95 Wrangler O2 Sensor Wiring HELP!

I just purchased a 95 Wrangler with the 2.5L 4 Cyl. engine. I get a code
21, which is related to the 02 sensor. The guy I got the jeep from just
replaced the 02 sensor. The connector was bad, so he cut it out and
spliced the wires together and got mixed up. He said ever since then the
light comes on. The engine runs fine, but does not idle well when it heats
up, I am hoping this is related to the sensor, but it may not be. I just
want to get the light out.

Can anyone tell me how to wire this thing? There are the following wires
coming from the wiring harness:

Black
Black with Blue Stripe
Black with Green Stripe
Green with Orange Stripe

and coming from the sensor:
White
White
Black
Gray

This is how it is currently (runs this way):
Black - White
Black/Blue - White
Blk/Green - Gray
Green/Orange - Blk

I've played with as many combinations that I can and either the engine will
not crank, or I get the same check engine light code. I can go purchase
another o2 sensor in case this one is fried, but wanted to try to get it
wired right first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jay
Old February 28th 05, 10:40 PM
DougW

JMH did pass the time by typing:

> I've played with as many combinations that I can and either the engine will
> not crank, or I get the same check engine light code. I can go purchase
> another o2 sensor in case this one is fried, but wanted to try to get it
> wired right first.

It's too late for this advice. Hopefully you haven't destroyed the ECU, but wiring the O2 sensor the wrong way can damage it and
the ECU. When it comes to wiring, don't guess.

Unless someone here posts the pinout, your going to have to contact the dealership and get a copy of the wiring diagram. My 93
service books don't have those colors.

My suggestion is buy the service book. It will pay for itself in the first couple of repairs.

--
DougW

Old February 28th 05, 10:54 PM
JMH

"DougW" > wrote in

I figured it would do no harm at this point since the guy I got it from had
already tried all combinations :-). I'll probably purchase another one as
soon as I am sure the wiring is right. I'll look into a service book too.

Thanks!
Jay

Old February 28th 05, 11:01 PM
Mike Romain

Too bad the person tried to put the wrong one in. Anyone with even half
a clue should know better. If the plug doesn't fit, it's the wrong
thing.

You problem now is the wrong O2 colors won't ever be matched in any book
so unless you know how to read the thing and have the right tools to do
so, you are out of luck.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 28th 05, 11:32 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jay,
The previous owner bought an after market Oxygen Sensor for about
half price, knowing he would have to splice it in. I think you are SOL
without those directions. The 21 code is a short between the heating
element and the zero to one volt signal to your computer. Your best bet
is to buy a stock one that plugs into your connections. But with an
ohms/volt meter you may figure it out via the plug timing at:
http://www.billhughes.com/o2sensor.pdf Couple of extra pages in there
just point out the color codes change at a drop of a hat.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 1st 05, 12:00 AM
JMH

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III > wrote in
:

ah this makes sense. He did not tell me the whole story :-) I don't
mind buying a new one at all, I just want to make sure I get the wiring
right before I put the new one in. I need a new plug for the wiring that
goes from the wiring harness, he cut that one off :-). I think I can go
by the colors on the chart you mentioned below.

Thanks!!
Jay

Old March 2nd 05, 01:50 AM
mic canic

please keep in mind the wiring on the sensor side of the connector carries a very
small fraction of air to the sensor so it will work if you cut the wires and
the sensor doesn't get the air and the check engine lite will come on
a factory wiring schematic with the connector views is what you need

Old March 2nd 05, 02:32 AM
Patrick

never pay to be cheap,
"JMH" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> L.W.(ßill) Hughes III > wrote in
> :
>
> ah this makes sense. He did not tell me the whole story :-) I don't
> mind buying a new one at all, I just want to make sure I get the wiring
> right before I put the new one in. I need a new plug for the wiring that
> goes from the wiring harness, he cut that one off :-). I think I can go
> by the colors on the chart you mentioned below.
>
> Thanks!!
> Jay
>
>> Hi Jay,
>> The previous owner bought an after market Oxygen Sensor for about
>> half price, knowing he would have to splice it in. I think you are SOL
>> without those directions. The 21 code is a short between the heating
>> element and the zero to one volt signal to your computer. Your best
>> bet is to buy a stock one that plugs into your connections. But with
>> an ohms/volt meter you may figure it out via the plug timing at:
>> http://www.billhughes.com/o2sensor.pdf Couple of extra pages in there
>> just point out the color codes change at a drop of a hat.
>> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
>>

>> JMH wrote:
>>>

>>> I just purchased a 95 Wrangler with the 2.5L 4 Cyl. engine. I get a
>>> code 21, which is related to the 02 sensor. The guy I got the jeep
>>> from just replaced the 02 sensor. The connector was bad, so he cut
>>> it out and spliced the wires together and got mixed up. He said ever
>>> since then the light comes on. The engine runs fine, but does not
>>> idle well when it heats up, I am hoping this is related to the
>>> sensor, but it may not be. I just want to get the light out.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to wire this thing? There are the following
>>> wires coming from the wiring harness:
>>>
>>> Black
>>> Black with Blue Stripe
>>> Black with Green Stripe
>>> Green with Orange Stripe
>>>
>>> and coming from the sensor:
>>> White
>>> White
>>> Black

Old March 2nd 05, 02:59 AM
Mike Romain

So do you think a long strip and crimp connector would work to let the
air in still? Do you know which wire carries the air charge? Not
necessarily the color, but the purpose of the wire. Is it the ground or
something that would make sense?

Mike

Old March 2nd 05, 04:39 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's hard for me to believe, the sensor's wires have to be
spliced for the cheapies: http://www.billhughes.com/95YJo2sensor.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

mic canic wrote:

> please keep in mind the wiring on the sensor side of the connector carries a very
> small fraction of air to the sensor so it will work if you cut the wires and
> the sensor doesn't get the air and the check engine lite will come on
> a factory wiring schematic with the connector views is what you need

Bring back the Brat or modernize the Wrangler Carl Taylor 4x4 26 March 6th 05 07:06 AM
Bring back the Brat or modernize the Wrangler Carl Taylor Jeep 41 March 6th 05 07:06 AM
95 Jeep Wrangler Shifting problems [email protected] Jeep 12 January 21st 05 06:56 PM
Wrangler MTR Tires Mladen 4x4 6 September 14th 04 07:04 PM
Goodyear Wrangler AT/R Expedtion Report Peter Strong 4x4 2 September 7th 04 07:05 PM