Opinions on shocks?

Old February 1st 05, 05:32 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Default Opinions on shocks?

My '01 GC (Laredo, I-6, towing pkg., OEM 'oversize' tires, otherwise
stock suspension) has about 50K on it and I'm feeling weak shocks.
Does this sound about right for the lifespan of the OEM units? At any
rate, it's bouncing around more than the wife's Jaguar X-Type *Sport*,
so I figure *something's* got to be done. Since I'm used to strut
insert replacements on German cars, Jeep shocks are no huge deal
financially and I've been shopping and reading what I can find. I
don't currently do any offroading, but I won't rule it out in the
future.

It appears that the Rancho RS9000 is my best choice for its
versatility, warranty, and pricing (in that order - I like the idea of
adjustability, lifetime warranty is *always* good, and I've found them
online for just a tad under $300 for a set of four). The most recent
posts I could find here were for pre-'99 installations and I'm
wondering if, with more experience, any of your opinions have changed
since then.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there, haven't done *that*)

Old February 1st 05, 05:44 PM
Jerry Bransford

They're still a very good shock and a very good choice for your GC if
you need various settings. If you don't need adjustability, OME's
shocks also have a very (!) good ride and they too come with a lifetime
warranty.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old February 1st 05, 06:05 PM
twaldron

Jerry, I think you're talking OME and he's talking OEM.

Jerry Bransford wrote:

> They're still a very good shock and a very good choice for your GC if
> you need various settings. If you don't need adjustability, OME's
> shocks also have a very (!) good ride and they too come with a lifetime
> warranty.
>
> Jerry
>
> Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
>
>> My '01 GC (Laredo, I-6, towing pkg., OEM 'oversize' tires, otherwise
>> stock suspension) has about 50K on it and I'm feeling weak shocks.
>> Does this sound about right for the lifespan of the OEM units? At any
>> rate, it's bouncing around more than the wife's Jaguar X-Type *Sport*,
>> so I figure *something's* got to be done. Since I'm used to strut
>> insert replacements on German cars, Jeep shocks are no huge deal
>> financially and I've been shopping and reading what I can find. I
>> don't currently do any offroading, but I won't rule it out in the
>> future.
>>
>> It appears that the Rancho RS9000 is my best choice for its
>> versatility, warranty, and pricing (in that order - I like the idea of
>> adjustability, lifetime warranty is *always* good, and I've found them
>> online for just a tad under $300 for a set of four). The most recent
>> posts I could find here were for pre-'99 installations and I'm
>> wondering if, with more experience, any of your opinions have changed
>> since then.
>> --
>> C.R. Krieger
>> (Been there, haven't done *that*)

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old February 4th 05, 03:14 AM
Lon

Motorhead Lawyer proclaimed:

> My '01 GC (Laredo, I-6, towing pkg., OEM 'oversize' tires, otherwise
> stock suspension) has about 50K on it and I'm feeling weak shocks.
> Does this sound about right for the lifespan of the OEM units? At any
> rate, it's bouncing around more than the wife's Jaguar X-Type *Sport*,
> so I figure *something's* got to be done. Since I'm used to strut
> insert replacements on German cars, Jeep shocks are no huge deal
> financially and I've been shopping and reading what I can find. I
> don't currently do any offroading, but I won't rule it out in the
> future.
>
> It appears that the Rancho RS9000 is my best choice for its
> versatility, warranty, and pricing (in that order - I like the idea of
> adjustability, lifetime warranty is *always* good, and I've found them
> online for just a tad under $300 for a set of four). The most recent
> posts I could find here were for pre-'99 installations and I'm
> wondering if, with more experience, any of your opinions have changed
> since then.

I have the RS9000X adjustables on a ZJ model GC. I personally like
them, but then my other vehicle is a sports car so I am used to a
bit of kidney rattle. Unless you regularly switch from highway to
rough trail, the adjustable [although trewly kewl] is probably
overkill. For highway and mild off roading, you might prefer the
Edelbrock IAS that is self adjusting.
Old February 4th 05, 03:23 AM
DougW

Lon did pass the time by typing:
> Motorhead Lawyer proclaimed:
>
>> My '01 GC (Laredo, I-6, towing pkg., OEM 'oversize' tires, otherwise
>> stock suspension) has about 50K on it and I'm feeling weak shocks.
>> Does this sound about right for the lifespan of the OEM units? At any
>> rate, it's bouncing around more than the wife's Jaguar X-Type *Sport*,
>> so I figure *something's* got to be done. Since I'm used to strut
>> insert replacements on German cars, Jeep shocks are no huge deal
>> financially and I've been shopping and reading what I can find. I
>> don't currently do any offroading, but I won't rule it out in the
>> future.

> I have the RS9000X adjustables on a ZJ model GC. I personally like
> them, but then my other vehicle is a sports car so I am used to a
> bit of kidney rattle. Unless you regularly switch from highway to
> rough trail, the adjustable [although trewly kewl] is probably
> overkill. For highway and mild off roading, you might prefer the
> Edelbrock IAS that is self adjusting.

I like the Edelbrock IAS shocks. Fairly tight higway ride that will
still handle some rough driving.

Old February 4th 05, 03:54 AM
Lon

DougW proclaimed:

> Lon did pass the time by typing:
>
>>Motorhead Lawyer proclaimed:
>>

>>>My '01 GC (Laredo, I-6, towing pkg., OEM 'oversize' tires, otherwise
>>>stock suspension) has about 50K on it and I'm feeling weak shocks.
>>>Does this sound about right for the lifespan of the OEM units? At any
>>>rate, it's bouncing around more than the wife's Jaguar X-Type *Sport*,
>>>so I figure *something's* got to be done. Since I'm used to strut
>>>insert replacements on German cars, Jeep shocks are no huge deal
>>>financially and I've been shopping and reading what I can find. I
>>>don't currently do any offroading, but I won't rule it out in the
>>>future.

>> I have the RS9000X adjustables on a ZJ model GC. I personally like
>> them, but then my other vehicle is a sports car so I am used to a
>> bit of kidney rattle. Unless you regularly switch from highway to
>> rough trail, the adjustable [although trewly kewl] is probably
>> overkill. For highway and mild off roading, you might prefer the
>> Edelbrock IAS that is self adjusting.

> I like the Edelbrock IAS shocks. Fairly tight higway ride that will
> still handle some rough driving.

Yeah, but with the Rancho's you have no problems at all finding loose
items that may have dropped. Or loose trim. Or loose roof rack
adjusters, or door rubber that needs replacing, etc. etc. etc. >:-)

Old February 4th 05, 06:36 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Lon wrote:

> I have the RS9000X adjustables on a ZJ model GC. I personally

like
> them, but then my other vehicle is a sports car so I am used to a
> bit of kidney rattle.

Our other vehicles are an '88 BMW 535is on Eibach springs and Bilstein
HDs and an '02 Jaguar X-Type Sport. Neither is known for its cushy
ride but I just noticed that the wife's sport-suspended Jag on 16"
Dunlop 60-series snow tires is smoother over some of our local winter
roads than the Jeep. And that's just plain wrong ...

> Unless you regularly switch from highway to
> rough trail, the adjustable [although trewly kewl] is probably
> overkill. For highway and mild off roading, you might prefer the
> Edelbrock IAS that is self adjusting.

Well, the other Rancho (RS5000) is also self-adjusting. Are these both
gas-pressurised? Is the 9000? Still, for the small price
differential, I may just go for kewl. After all, I'm only buying these
things *once* for this GC ... =;^)
--
C.R. Krieger

Old February 4th 05, 06:57 PM
Mike Romain

Motorhead Lawyer wrote:

> Well, the other Rancho (RS5000) is also self-adjusting.
> C.R. Krieger

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Do they adjust before or after they knock all your fillings out?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 4th 05, 09:31 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If you want a bone jarring ride, ride in any stock Corvette. My
Brother's 735 V12 Bimmer, rides like a Cadillac:
http://www.billhughes.com/jerrybmw.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old February 4th 05, 10:47 PM
Dave Milne

I think the 735 is a V8 isn't it ? It used to be a straight six. The V12 is
the 750i IIRC.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ