CD Changer wire harness colours/what they do?

Old November 29th 04, 11:32 PM
Rob Guenther

Default CD Changer wire harness colours/what they do?

Hello Everyone.

Is there anyone here that knows what the different wires do for the VW 6-CD
changer? Car is a 1999.5 with the stock wiring harness... I'm trying to make
an adaptor so I can use my VW changer in my parents 1993 Volvo 960 - I have
to drive it almost 1000kms this weekend, and the car only has a tape deck,
but it's pre-wired for a CD changer in the trunk... I'm hoping I can
jerry-rig some sort of adaptor into place so I can use the unit it both
cars.

Old December 1st 04, 07:48 PM
William Maslin

In article >,
"Rob Guenther" > wrote:

> Hello Everyone.
>
> Is there anyone here that knows what the different wires do for the VW 6-CD
> changer? Car is a 1999.5 with the stock wiring harness... I'm trying to make
> an adaptor so I can use my VW changer in my parents 1993 Volvo 960 - I have
> to drive it almost 1000kms this weekend, and the car only has a tape deck,
> but it's pre-wired for a CD changer in the trunk... I'm hoping I can
> jerry-rig some sort of adaptor into place so I can use the unit it both
> cars.

You can probably find the info in the web somewhere but modern changers
seem to involve digital electronic and just swapping wires around
probably won't work or will fry the changer. There are a variety of
adapters made for matching up head units and changers. Do a Google
search or just start with Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...ter/car/change
rs_oem.html

or look he

http://www.pie.net/oemapplx.htm

However, I suspect you will not find a solution. The adapters seem to
be made for a very limited range of changers for any particular car.
Your best bet for this weekend is probably a cheap cassette adapter and
a Diskman.

Bill

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email
Old December 1st 04, 07:48 PM
William Maslin

Old December 1st 04, 10:22 PM
Rob Guenther

I have an adaptor, but I can't find it... and my other one is broken... And
my brother (who I am picking up) has my diskman - so i'll have it for the
return trip... Maybe i'll load up some songs onto my Mindisk player and find
my tape adaptor... Someone on the Volvo group has had luck with an Alpine CD
changer in a 1995 960 and a 1998 VW Cabrio, with only the adaptor for each
car needed... so I'm hoping I may luck out, he's trying to help me sort it
out.

Basically this little project is purely to see if it CAN be done - I'm an
industrial controls electrician, so electronics is a big part of my job, and
I enjoy tinkering with stuff like this... just seeing if I can do it - seems
possible.

Old December 1st 04, 10:22 PM
Rob Guenther

Old December 2nd 04, 12:33 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

According to Bentley:

Harness connector T20 (blue)
Harness connector T12

Radio Terminal Wire color
CD terminal
13 - CD Changer DATA IN blue
1
14 - CD Changer DATA OUT green
4
15 - CD Changer CLOCK yellow
2
16 - CD Changer Positive (B+ in), terminal 30 red
6
17 - CD Changer - Control signal, turn on grey
8
18 - CD Changer - Ground (GND) and shield black 9
19 - CD Changer - Line OUT, left (CD/L) lilac
10
20 - CD Changer - Line OUT, right (CD/R) white 7

brown 3 to radio harness ground

But don't blame me if you fry the changer ....

Old December 2nd 04, 12:33 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

Old December 2nd 04, 12:42 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

Damn text wrap ... let's try again

Old December 2nd 04, 12:42 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

Old December 2nd 04, 09:42 PM
Rob Guenther

Thank you very much - don't have time to try it before the weekend tho
:-(... But i'll get to it eventually, and maybe i'll make a little website
with pictures if it works.