replacing Miata top or window

Old October 3rd 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default replacing Miata top or window

I own a '91 Miata with the original top. The rear window recently
cracked. I would like to get a new top but I dont know which one will
be the best for me and the way I use the car. I am not extremely
concerned about appearance although my car is all original and in good
condition. Typically I throw the top down when I get in and then
throw it back up (but don't latch it, primarily to protect the
interior from sun damage) when I get out. I need a top which will
handle the abuse of being put up and down several times a day without
being too careful. Any suggestions? Is there much difference between
glass and plastic windows in terms of care required when putting the
top up and down. The top itself still looks ok although there is a
bit of rain that gets in on the sides or at the carwash sometimes ( I
know your not supposed to run it thru a car wash but i like to get the
undercarriage thoroughly washed after salt in the winter) , how
difficult is it to replace the window? Are there advantages /
disadvantages in ease of operation of the zip vs no zip windows?

Thanks for any comments
Old October 5th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_11_]

In general, a 91's top should be old enough to be on it's last legs. If this
is the case, replacing the whole top makes sense.
Don't forget to replace the rain rails if this is what you end up doing.

The zip in rear window can also be replaced. There may be fitting problems,
and you will likely have to also replace the rain rail.

I'd at least see if a junkyard had a good top (complete) that can be just
bolted into your car. Again the rain rail will likely need replacing.

As to a new top, I can't say which aftermarket top would be best. All have
had problems here and there. That's why I would rather find a good used top
and mechanism that can be just bolted down and more or less done.

I've had problems with factory tops as well. My 99 is on it's third factory
top. (All warrenty)

I actually prefer the zippered back window, since it can be lowered with the
top still up.
And, while I don't like the problems associated with the plastic windows, I
do like the additional visibility that the three window tops had.