Window Tinting in reverse?

Old October 2nd 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default Window Tinting in reverse?

I have the film type tint applied to the vent windows and side windows
of my Miata and AFAIK it's been there since 1992. The vent window have
bubbles and other bad spots, the side windows have scratches so I
thought maybe I'd remove the stuff.

The question is how? Anyone know an easy way to do it?

It's all still intact, it's an idea I've not persued yet but it really
does need to come off because it's looking pretty bad.

I don't know if I'll re-tint or not but if I do, I'd need to get that
done professionally since my hands don't work often or very well when
they do work. If I took it to a place that does tinting I suspect
they'd charge me a bunch extra to remove the old before putting on the
new, does any one know about that?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old October 2nd 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
OzOne

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 22:57:12 -0700, XS11E >
wrote:

>I have the film type tint applied to the vent windows and side windows
>of my Miata and AFAIK it's been there since 1992. The vent window have
>bubbles and other bad spots, the side windows have scratches so I
>thought maybe I'd remove the stuff.
>
>The question is how? Anyone know an easy way to do it?
>
>It's all still intact, it's an idea I've not persued yet but it really
>does need to come off because it's looking pretty bad.
>
>I don't know if I'll re-tint or not but if I do, I'd need to get that
>done professionally since my hands don't work often or very well when
>they do work. If I took it to a place that does tinting I suspect
>they'd charge me a bunch extra to remove the old before putting on the
>new, does any one know about that?

Hair dryer gently on the outside, lift a corner with a blade and
gently, slowly peel off taking care not to tear it up too much.

Reality check...take it to a pro, he'll charge a smidgeon of what the
job is worth in your time to remove it if you have a retint done.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
Old October 2nd 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

OzOne wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 22:57:12 -0700, XS11E >
> wrote:
>>The question is how? Anyone know an easy way to do it?

> Hair dryer gently on the outside, lift a corner with a blade and
> gently, slowly peel off taking care not to tear it up too much.

Thanks, that's what I'll do.

> Reality check...take it to a pro, he'll charge a smidgeon of what
> the job is worth in your time to remove it if you have a retint
> done.

I don't doubt you a bit but I'd really like to go tintless for awhile
before deciding if I want the windows tinted. I'm not sure tinted
windows make much sense in a convertible when the top and windows are
usually down..... <G>

Old October 2nd 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

a google search coughs up a lot of methods for removal which all amount to
about the same advice of using diluted amonia, heat, and a razor.
http://www.tintdude.com/remove.html
this step by step approach involves useing steam...
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...t-messy,-chea/

. ..

Old October 2nd 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> a google search coughs up a lot of methods for removal which all
> amount to about the same advice of using diluted amonia, heat, and
> a razor. http://www.tintdude.com/remove.html
> this step by step approach involves useing steam...
> http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...dow-tint:-the-
> not-messy,-chea/

Interesting.... I found this:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10098019
The nearest store doesn't have it in stock.

And this:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4dxeyp
On line only.

I REALLY like this one but who knows what it'll cost?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4a48dz

Ebay has multiple pages of them!

I could use a steamer for my clothes but I'm thinking of getting the
whole thing done professionally, I'm going to shop around a bit....

window tinting steve Chrysler 0 October 30th 07 09:45 PM
window tinting steve Jeep 2 October 21st 07 09:24 PM
window tinting steve General 0 October 21st 07 03:56 PM
window tinting steve Simulators 3 October 21st 07 12:24 PM
window tinting steve Antique cars 0 October 20th 07 03:07 AM