1970 VW Beetle

Old February 2nd 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Juper Wort

Default 1970 VW Beetle

> > ok... thxs, i'm still w8ing on my STUPID book...
> >

> from what I have seen, you don't NEED a "STUPID" book...you have it
> covered...

Wow, well done for holding off, Chris, I was expecting one of those alot
earlier !!

Scotty, please send each message once only, thanks

James

Old February 2nd 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Michael Cecil wrote:

> Hey Speedy Jim, do you know of any pics online showing how to hook up the
> heating flap on a stock air cleaner for a 70 bug? I reverted to the stock
> from a cheap paper filter that the previous owner had installed but I've
> always had the hot air hose valve flapper doohicky wired shut (since it's
> usually warm here in TX.)

It's buried in the parts book:
http://www.oldbeetle.com/pcat/epc.html
but not very cear.

'70 had a small crank arm sticking out of
the "front" of the fan shroud (facing you).
A tiny Bowden cable connected that to the flap
under control of the thermostat.

If you don't have all that mech in place, it won't
do any good...

Jim
Old February 4th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Andy

I'd keep that oil bath air cleaner. It does a great job.
Andy

Old February 4th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

I am with Andy here.
The oil bath air cleaner also keeps the fuel/air mixture correct at higher
engine rpms.
The paper might lean out the mixture some at the higher engine rpms, but
that should depend on your carb too.

Now if you ask for proof, I would have to search through years of
books/magazines. :-|

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)