Hard Start Relay...

Old January 10th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

Default Hard Start Relay...

I have a hrad start relay on ym 71 VW Bug SUpper Beetle. I have it
screwed on the top of the extra luggage compartment as it's has a big
hole (Rusted out). I am about to have a good piece off of another car
welded it. The only place with out putting a whole for the hard start
relay on the top is underneath. But I am worried abut it working loose
and dangling. It will be screwed it but should I be worried about it
coming loose?

Thanks Steven

Old January 10th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

You should straighten out your wiring to elluminate the relay, or
atleast relocated to the starter where it is supposed to be mounted in
the first place.

Anton

Old January 10th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

I thought my Starter was where it was suppose to be. By the way it's a
Autostick.

THanks Steven

Old January 11th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_3_]

Noice87 kirjoitti:
> I thought my Starter was where it was suppose to be. By the way it's a
> Autostick.
>
> THanks Steven

It is not SUPPOSED to be anywhere!

This is one of my favorite complaints.....

People find a problem with their original wiring after 30-40 years of
(flawless) service, and what do they do? They make the system more
complicated by ADDING another gadget, that
a) does not belong
b) creates a bunch of new opportunities for bad connections
c) dangles around if mounted carelessly
d) keeps them from fixing the original damn problem!!

FIX your wiring, and enjoy another 30+ years of reliable service. Do not
HIDE your problems with band-aid solutions.

Think.

Jan
Old January 11th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Juper Wort

"Jan" > wrote in message
> Noice87 kirjoitti:
> > I thought my Starter was where it was suppose to be. By the way it's a
> > Autostick.
> >
> > THanks Steven
> >

> It is not SUPPOSED to be anywhere!
>
> This is one of my favorite complaints.....
>
> People find a problem with their original wiring after 30-40 years of
> (flawless) service, and what do they do? They make the system more
> complicated by ADDING another gadget, that
> a) does not belong
> b) creates a bunch of new opportunities for bad connections
> c) dangles around if mounted carelessly
> d) keeps them from fixing the original damn problem!!
>
> FIX your wiring, and enjoy another 30+ years of reliable service. Do not
> HIDE your problems with band-aid solutions.
>
> Think.
>
> Jan

Jan. Nice spiel. I had to add one after I found the immobiliser was nicking
too much battery voltage. I attached it to tunnel next to battery, with
wiring going through large grommet to starter.

James

Old January 11th 07, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

EXACTLY!!!

1st clean up all the connections and check the wires.
2nd replace the electrical part of the switch

that usually cures the no start problem.

then ditch the relay its just a band-aid to the real problem.

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
dragenwagen
1966 Type I
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen
"Old VW"s don't leak oil, they mark their territory."

Old January 11th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Jan" > wrote in message
> Noice87 kirjoitti:
>> I thought my Starter was where it was suppose to be. By the way it's a
>> Autostick.
>>
>> THanks Steven
>>

> It is not SUPPOSED to be anywhere!
>
> This is one of my favorite complaints.....

hehe...saved me the trouble...

Old January 11th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Juper Wort" > wrote in message

> Jan. Nice spiel. I had to add one after I found the immobiliser was

nicking
> too much battery voltage. I attached it to tunnel next to battery, with
> wiring going through large grommet to starter.
>
> James

so you diagnosed the problem, then covered it up?

Old January 11th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"dragenwagen" > wrote in message
> EXACTLY!!!
>
> 1st clean up all the connections and check the wires.
> 2nd replace the electrical part of the switch
>

> that usually cures the no start problem.
>
> then ditch the relay its just a band-aid to the real problem.

see...here is the sticking point for me.....i am totally against using a
relay to cover up other problems......the relay isn't the devil in disquise,
it is a decent idea(although in my mind, not needed)....adding a relay to
"protect" the starting circuit i am not against....but covering up a problem
with it, i am against....so folks, if you must have a relay, at least fix
your system before installing it....

Old January 11th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

while we are on the subject of wiring. I saw an ad on samba for
replacement wiring $89 same thing going on cip1 for ~$120 or something
like that. Looks like the one i used from wiring works, and yes they
are properly color coded, so if you do replace your wiring you can
still use the manual for wiring diagrams. Very decent and can't beat
the price. I've bought from Steve a couple of times, no problems.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=136872

So now there is really no excuse for that relay.

All the best,
Anton

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Jan" > wrote in message
> > Noice87 kirjoitti:
> >> I thought my Starter was where it was suppose to be. By the way it's a
> >> Autostick.
> >>
> >> THanks Steven
> >>

> > It is not SUPPOSED to be anywhere!
> >
> > This is one of my favorite complaints.....
> >

> hehe...saved me the trouble...

1994 Hard start and dies on accel [email protected] Chrysler 14 May 2nd 06 09:08 PM
94 Shadow will not start Bill H Dodge 14 April 4th 06 11:07 PM
1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101 HeadlessHorseman Dodge 2 January 12th 06 11:12 PM
hard to start Jim85CJ Jeep 2 July 4th 05 03:09 AM
EFI Main Relay operation description... John Ings Honda 4 February 17th 05 04:19 PM