Coils vs. Coilovers

Old April 26th 05, 10:51 PM

Default Coils vs. Coilovers

I'm a new owner of a 1990 civic. I am realizing there are a lot of
options when it comes to aftermarket parts for these cars. I am
interested in lowering my car, but don't know which is the better
option, coils or coilovers. I don't race and am not looking for super
performance, more just for looks. Could anyone recomend one or the
other?

-=Karl

Old April 26th 05, 11:14 PM

Thanks John. From reading more previous discussions about coils and
stuff, I think you're right. Coilovers sound like a pain-in-the-ass.
I guess the next think I have to worry about is wearing out my
shocks/struts and perhaps getting one of those camber kits. The ****
ads up quick!!

Old April 26th 05, 11:54 PM
halo2 guy

In a few years you might look back and think what a waste of money it was
to lower a 15 year old car. Just save your money, drive this car into the
ground and buy a new car in a few years.

oups.com...

Old April 27th 05, 12:00 AM

Ok, I'm looking on eBay and the ones that I can afford are the Tenzo,
Skunk2, and Tein S Tech. I've heard a lot of good things about Eibach
and Neuspeed, but unfortunately their twice as much as I want to spend.
Out of the cheaper ones i listed above, which do you think will serve
their purpose the best and last the longest? Thanks for your time
John.

Old April 27th 05, 12:33 AM
Steve Bigelow

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Ok, I'm looking on eBay and the ones that I can afford are the Tenzo,
> Skunk2, and Tein S Tech. I've heard a lot of good things about Eibach
> and Neuspeed, but unfortunately their twice as much as I want to spend.
> Out of the cheaper ones i listed above, which do you think will serve
> their purpose the best and last the longest? Thanks for your time
> John.

I recently lowered with Canuck Motorsport springs, for about 125 shipped.
Got them off ebay, I'm very happy with them.

Old April 27th 05, 12:59 AM
John

For looks, I'd go with coils (not worth it to spend more money on the
coilovers).

There are adjustable coilovers where you can adjust the height of your ride
as well as adjust the dampness of the shock (the ride smoothness).

oups.com...

Old April 27th 05, 01:56 AM
John

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks John. From reading more previous discussions about coils and
> stuff, I think you're right. Coilovers sound like a pain-in-the-ass.
> I guess the next think I have to worry about is wearing out my
> shocks/struts and perhaps getting one of those camber kits. The ****
> ads up quick!!

The only reason I don't recommend coilvers is they can be costly and you
said you only need it for appearance. Lowering springs/coils can do the job
you require and are less expensive than coilovers. If you're looking for
function and easy replacement/adjustment, I'd get coilovers. They're more
expensive, and the really good ones can run you over one grand. Of course
there are cheaper ones which still can solidify the stock handling.

Links:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-41379.html
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...ht=coilove rs

Good luck!