Moving to Europe - what to do with the 03 Cobra

Old December 23rd 04, 01:55 PM
Mike Schultz

Default Moving to Europe - what to do with the 03 Cobra

Guys:

I'm moving to Belgium in April, and am unsure about what to do with my 03
Cobra. I figure the best bet is to sell it (even though I'm upside down on
it) and forget about it until I move home in 3 years. But does anyone know
what would be involved in importing it over there? I know the $6/gallon gas
and road taxes and stuff would be obnoxious, but would I also have to pay to
get lots of modifications done? And would I be able to sell it at a premium
over there when I was done (I'm guessing its an uncommon car).

Thanks,

Mike

Old December 23rd 04, 05:45 PM
SVTKate

Tell ye what Mike,
I'll store it for you, If I can take it for a spin now and then.
Not everyday mind you, just now and then *innocent smile*

Kate

newsfzyd.15464$ql2.4305@okepread04...

Old December 23rd 04, 05:46 PM
SVTKate

Oh, forgot to mention,
It would have company parked in the garage next to my 98 Cobra...

Old December 23rd 04, 07:25 PM
WindsorFox[SS]

SVTKate wrote:

> Tell ye what Mike,
> I'll store it for you, If I can take it for a spin now and then.
> Not everyday mind you, just now and then *innocent smile*
>
> Kate

I don;t THINK so, you already have one. He can store it at my
house and I'll even send pictures once a month...

--
YOU are the real piece of work in this post. I think you are
a couple of drumsticks short of a picnic there bud. - SVTKate
Old December 23rd 04, 08:05 PM
punk

This topic has been discussed in numerous threads in rec.travel.europe.

Based on my recollection, it is *not* recommended. First, it's expensive
since you would have to ship it in a container to protect it from damage and
so this would cost about $1500. Second, since you are staying more that 6
months, you would have to register it over there and I believe it requires
some certification process that it is fit for European use, whatever that
means. Third, you will probably have difficulty getting parts for this car
and finding some mechanic to work on it. Fourthe insurance for type of car
is probably super-expensive over there. Lastly, there are some complications
if and when you decide to sell the car over there but I can't remember what
these complication are.

Old December 23rd 04, 08:42 PM
Spike

It is not that expensive to ship over... several companies are geared
to do just that and can be found especially near military
installations. I took my Mustang to Portugal. No changes required. Of
course that was pre-catalytic... so it might need to have that
changed. Most aspects, except for glass were no problem. Glass was
only a problem for importing into the US. Smog rules are extreme in
some countries and very lax in others. Same applied to mechanics
(brakes, etc) and cosmetics (cars in bad condition - rusted out-
being immediately de-registered during inspection for re-registering).

If nothing else, there were a lot of people overseas who wanted cars
like Mustangs , Firebirds, Camaros, etc. My neighbor sold his 6 cyl
Firebird, 10 years old and "well used", for $16,000 cash in Japan. How
that compares with Europe is in question. If you have any contacts
where you are headed I'd check with them for the latest information
since I was in Portugal before the EU formed.

Driving is an experience! Hopefully Belgium changed their laws... It
used to be that if you bought a new car you had to have a license and
insurance, but not if you bought a used car. In Portugal, it was not
required to use headlights at night if you were in a well lit area
(which was having the light from a store window reach the street).
Even something as simple as hitting a farm animal can get weird. In
Portugal, if the owner is with the animal, you're at fault; if the
owner is not present, the owner is at fault. In some places, run over
a chicken and you have to pay for the chicken and all the eggs/chicks
it would have produced for a specified period. Japan, if you hire a
taxi and there is an accident, you are responsible. The taxi would not
have been there to have an accident if you had not hired it. Advice to
Americans was, have the money in hand and if there is an accident,
toss the money to the driver and disappear. The gist of this is to
learn the laws as best you can. And they use cameras everywhere to
monitor traffic.

Roads were actually quite good, though the cobblestone patches were a
bit rough on the suspension. Traffic in cities can be a horror show.
Very congested. But not bad in the countryside.

You will likely need to get an international driver's license before
leaving the states. I think AAA used to help with that.

Insurance ran in the neighborhood of $1000 a year in Belgium in 1981.

Public transportation is pretty darn good. My advise would be to
consider taking the car with the idea of selling it, not driving it.
If you do any traveling, the trains are excellent, and in the cities,
the buses and taxis are great. If you want to drive, either rent;
there are rental places all over; or look for something there to buy.

You may be able to pick up a desirable (in the US) European car to
bring back to sell. They can be ordered to meet US requirements if on
the approved list for import (smog and glass are the biggest problems
with import). Import fees generally work out to far less than if you
bought the same car in the US. Simple example; and realizing the rates
are different for different categories of imported goods; a bottle of
wine can be bought in Portugal for $1.00. The import fee was 6 cents.
The same bottle could be bought in the states for $6.95. Not to
mention you were allowed to bring in one wine gallon exempt. We
brought back cases.

I was able to pick up a brand new MG Midget for $2K in 1971. Shipped
it back to the states in 74 for $116.00. Sold it in 77 for $2.5K to a
neighbor who was going to Germany. You get the idea.

Again... I would check with any possible contact you might have
already there since the laws vary from place to place, and are apt to
have changed both since I was there and since the founding of the EU.
Possibly Google for embassies which might have more information or a
phone number you can call.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:55:48 -0600, "Mike Schultz"
> wrote:

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old December 23rd 04, 09:08 PM
Hurt

Mike, are you in the military? 3 years in Belgium sounds like an
overseas long tour. If you are than your current base should have an
area for storing your vehicle. Check with the MPs/SPs.

Dan

Old December 24th 04, 12:17 AM
Spike

That varies from base to base depending on available space. The only
bases where I saw this done was when the individual was either TDY
status, or on a tour with a guaranteed return. And military had REALLY
cheap shipping.... no containers though. Accidents do happen. Saw the
Army TTU drop a vette from the crane.... and on another ship they
stored cement above the level where the cars were. They had some
leakage and one of the cars had sold concrete down the windshield and
into the vents. I shipped cars twice. Both went through without a
scratch. The PCS to Portugal was free, and the PCS return from Japan
cost $116 because as an E4 I wasn't entitled to ship a car. It had to
go Space A. Shipment from the east coast was from Bayonne, NJ where
they had a unit essentially dedicated to shipping vehicles. Pickup at
the same place. On the west coast, it was San Diego. Authorized
shipment took about 30 days, and Space A took about 90 days.

Old December 24th 04, 12:54 AM
SVTKate

Hey you...
I already called dibbs.

Kate

Old December 24th 04, 09:24 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

SVTKate wrote:

> Hey you...
> I already called dibbs.
>
> Kate

I have a heated and air conditioned garage. Neener! <sticks out
tongue>