Service manual for 98 Camry: Haynes or Chilton?

Old June 29th 05, 07:45 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> isn't room inthe Owner's Manual for every torque spect that is out there,

....because all the space is taken up with idiotic warnings about how
you're not supposed to run the car in an enclosed garage, how you're
supposed to wait for the mist to clear from the windows before driving
off, how you're supposed to turn on your headlights if it's dark outside
and you want to drive, etc.

> Having said that, I can't encourage anybody to buy a Haynes or a
> Chilton. If one needs to know the stuff between those covers, and can
> reasonably use the information contained therein, they would be much
> better off with the vastly superior factory service manual, even with a
> cost differential of quadruple the cost. A single mistake averted can
> cover the cost of the manual.

Precisely.
Old June 29th 05, 10:39 PM
Erik

> ...because all the space is taken up with idiotic warnings about how
> you're not supposed to run the car in an enclosed garage, how you're
> supposed to wait for the mist to clear from the windows before driving
> off, how you're supposed to turn on your headlights if it's dark outside
> and you want to drive, etc.

Next time you see a lawyer, thank him/her for all this crap.

Erik
Old June 29th 05, 11:05 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, larry moe 'n curly wrote:
>
> > I looked at the library's Chilton and Haynes manuals for
> > my 1997 Nissan and found them to be really deficient,
> > with pictures that were too fuzzy or dark to let me
> > identify the parts and information that either wasn't
> > there or applied to a different vehicle.

> http://u225.torque.net/haynes_instructions.html

Thanks! That finally fixed it!

Autozone stores around here used to be really generous toward people
"borrowing" their Haynes manuals (almost every copy was greasy) because
it helped them sell parts, but now they actually want to _sell_ the
manuals. At least www.autozone.com now has some free repair
information for some vehicles.

Old June 29th 05, 11:18 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Erik wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "larry moe 'n curly" > wrote:

> > I looked at the library's Chilton and Haynes manuals for
> > my 1997 Nissan and found them to be really deficient, with
> > pictures that were too fuzzy or dark to let me identify
> > the parts and information that either wasn't there or
> > applied to a different vehicle.

> > I ended up spending $140 on a Nissan factory manual and
> > found it to be worth it. Some people sell bootleg
> > copies of these on CD-ROM for $15 on eBay

> Alldata is also available online now too... looks like
> $25, but don't know the details, will look later. They're
> pretty up to date, complete with service bulletins and all that.
>
> http://www.alldata.com/
>
> Mitchell manuals are also excellent, but pricey...
>
> http://www.mitchellrepair.com/

Many libraries have AllData or Mitchell available online at no charge,
but Mitchell is a whole lot better, although it seemed that the paper
version of Mitchell included some important stuff that the online
version lacked.

Old June 30th 05, 12:29 AM
hachiroku

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:17:15 +0000, badgolferman wrote:

> hachiroku, 6/28/2005, 6:53:49 PM,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:40:11 -0500, Ray O wrote:
>>
>> Found out where Jim Petrin went. He's at a dealer about 14 miles away.
>> Perhaps if I can I'll swing down and tell him you said "Hi"
>>
>> If I get a free minute sometime!

> Hachiroku,
> I think you are one of the reasonable regulars here and would like to
> show something to you.

Oh. My. God. Somebody thinks I'm reasonable! I'm going to print this one
out and hang it on my wall!!!

> What you have done here is called "hijacking a thread" and
> unfortunately is far too common in this group. We had a perfectly good
> automotive discussion going on and all of a different OT subject is
> interjected into the mix.

Aw, shucks; yeah, I know (kicks at ground with one foot...)

> This is a mild example of why filtering on OT in the subject line is
> useless within this mostly OT group.

Message received and acknowledged...
Old June 30th 05, 12:33 AM
hachiroku

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:13:57 -0400, Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>> > ...and they're equally worthless whether the price be $20 or $30.

>> I find them adequate for filling holes in my knowledge for things *I*
>> would tackle.

> You're making the faulty assumption that the "knowledge" contained in
> these pieces of garbage is accurate, which it often is not.

It comes with learning how to READ the damn things!

I have been a 'technocrat' all my life and have read manual after manual.
Once you learn how to read one, they're all the same.

But, I have been left scratching my head on more than one occasion.

What I do. I RTFM BEFORE touching a tool, to make sure i uunderstand the
procedure. Then, I do what I used to do when taking tests in college: the
answer to one question is often contained in another question. So, I
peruse the manual further to see if there is a better explaination. If
there is, Gravy. If not, the phone number is inside the front cover...

Old June 30th 05, 06:39 PM
ray

Erik wrote:
>>...because all the space is taken up with idiotic warnings about how
>>you're not supposed to run the car in an enclosed garage, how you're
>>supposed to wait for the mist to clear from the windows before driving
>>off, how you're supposed to turn on your headlights if it's dark outside
>>and you want to drive, etc.

> Next time you see a lawyer, thank him/her for all this crap.
>
> Erik

Or next time you see an idiot, slap him upside the head. They need to
release a regular 15 page car manual with a special 800 page idiot
supplement. I swear, it takes 20 pages in the manual to tell you how to
start your car and put the seatbelt on.

Old July 5th 05, 06:48 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
ray > wrote:
>Or next time you see an idiot, slap him upside the head. They need to
>release a regular 15 page car manual with a special 800 page idiot
>supplement. I swear, it takes 20 pages in the manual to tell you how to
>start your car and put the seatbelt on.

How about 5 pages on how to use the automatic transmission? Interestingly,
the same owner's manual had less than a page on how to use the manual
transmission.

Timothy J. Lee
Old July 5th 05, 11:23 PM
Nate Nagel

Timothy J. Lee wrote:
> In article >,
> ray > wrote:
>
>>Or next time you see an idiot, slap him upside the head. They need to
>>release a regular 15 page car manual with a special 800 page idiot
>>supplement. I swear, it takes 20 pages in the manual to tell you how to
>>start your car and put the seatbelt on.

> How about 5 pages on how to use the automatic transmission? Interestingly,
> the same owner's manual had less than a page on how to use the manual
> transmission.

Well, that's probably because a) anyone who actually *buys* a manual
transmission probably doesn't need any special instructions or b) if
they included a section on heel-and-toe downshifting, there'd be all
sorts of liability issues (pick whichever explanation you like better)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Anyone need '83 Prelude factory service manual Craig W Honda 0 June 26th 05 12:29 AM
TJ Service Manual Dave Jeep 0 May 9th 05 03:59 PM
Please help me read the Haynes civic/crv manual Thomas G. Marshall Honda 1 December 31st 04 08:15 PM
Audi A6 '95 V6 - service manual... robbie Audi 0 August 11th 04 07:17 PM
F.S in UK. Audi 100 & A6 Haynes Manual 1991-1997 Models Petrol & Diesel joe landy Audi 0 June 14th 04 06:33 PM