Jeep Toad

Old September 2nd 06, 03:44 PM
BuntRVer BuntRVer is offline
Junior Member

Location: North Texas
Thumbs up Jeep Toad

What's the best Jeep for a fun vehicle to be towed behind an RV for some retired Jeep fun? Not a hard core rock hound or sand drag nut, just wanna have good light weight 4X4 to tow behind my RV and have available for absolutely ANY transportation needs I might have in the mountains or where ever, for cheap......Did I say FOR CHEAP? Yes I said and mean a ride for value. And may want to load it up with Vintage Bultaco Trials bike or what ever......and don't forget the fish........fly fishing is my life now.
Old September 2nd 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Default Jeep Toad

Probably an XJ, (Cherokee). These days they are pretty inexpensive and
with the 4.0 and 4x4 are about as capable and tough as anything out there.

Jeff DeWitt (of course I might be a bit biased<G>)

Old September 2nd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
AJ[_2_]

BuntRVer wrote:

> What's the best Jeep for a fun vehicle to be towed behind an RV for some
> retired Jeep fun?

We tow a Libby and have a ball with it. You might need a lift kit in
it if you get too far off road. We go almost anywhere with it except
for rock crawling type stuff. We use it all over the Az. desert during
our snowbird run in the winter. On the road it is great and the air
conditioning don't hurt. If we have to replace it we will get another
Libby.

--
Jim
Old September 3rd 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Simon Juncal

BuntRVer wrote:
> What's the best Jeep for a fun vehicle to be towed behind an RV for some
> retired Jeep fun? Not a hard core rock hound or sand drag nut, just
> wanna have good light weight 4X4 to tow behind my RV and have available
> for absolutely ANY transportation needs I might have in the mountains or
> where ever, for cheap......Did I say FOR CHEAP? Yes I said and mean a
> ride for value. And may want to load it up with Vintage Bultaco Trials
> bike or what ever......and don't forget the fish........fly fishing is
> my life now.

Cherokee... you basically described it in your post... light (lighter
than many mustangs) more so than any Jeep built in the last 30 years.
The 4.0 is the best powerplant ever put in a Jeep (by a factory) IMHO.
For power, durability, reliability ease of working on, cheap and easy to
get parts for. It's got better climate control than a Wrangler, it's
lighter and still has more room. Best of all they are all over the place
for extremely cheap prices... You can get a lifted 10 year old Cherokee
off ebay for a couple thousand dollars (3 to 4k with nice paint and no
mechanical issues). early 90's bone stock XJ's commonly go for around a
grand, fully running (of course over 100k miles) because there are a ton
of them for sale... This combo (4.0 equipped Cherokee with an AX15
manual or AW4 Automatic) commonly goes over 200k miles on normal maint.

Oh yeah and it gets excellent fuel mileage (mid to low 20's stock)...
not just for an SUV, but for anything with a engine over 3 litres and a
curb wight over 3000 pounds. I recently looked at a Toyota Camry V6 for
the wife; that got worse mileage than my stock XJ, and comparable
mileage to my lifted 33 inch rubber clad 4.6 stroker Cherokee.

--
Simon
"I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain." -- Robert A. Heinlein
Old September 3rd 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

I owned a Libby for awhile, if I were looking for something like you are
wanting, I would definitely consider it but I think the Cherokee will fit
more into your CHEAP budget and the Cherokee is a great rig!

Kate
06 Rubicon

Old September 3rd 06, 03:18 AM
BuntRVer BuntRVer is offline
Junior Member

Location: North Texas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ
BuntRVer wrote:

What's the best Jeep for a fun vehicle to be towed behind an RV for some
retired Jeep fun?

We tow a Libby and have a ball with it. You might need a lift kit in
it if you get too far off road. We go almost anywhere with it except
for rock crawling type stuff. We use it all over the Az. desert during
our snowbird run in the winter. On the road it is great and the air
conditioning don't hurt. If we have to replace it we will get another
Libby.

--
Jim

What's a Libby? How does that compare to a CJ5 or CJ7?
Old September 3rd 06, 03:20 AM
BuntRVer BuntRVer is offline
Junior Member

Location: North Texas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey DeWitt

BuntRVer wrote:
What's the best Jeep for a fun vehicle to be towed behind an RV for some
retired Jeep fun? Not a hard core rock hound or sand drag nut, just
wanna have good light weight 4X4 to tow behind my RV and have available
for absolutely ANY transportation needs I might have in the mountains or
where ever, for cheap......Did I say FOR CHEAP? Yes I said and mean a
ride for value. And may want to load it up with Vintage Bultaco Trials
bike or what ever......and don't forget the fish........fly fishing is
my life now.

I was thinking more in terms of a CJ5 or CJ7. Remember I said CHEAP.
Old September 3rd 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

CJ-5:
http://search.ebay.com/Jeep-CJ-5_eBa...ee pQ20CJQ2d5
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 3rd 06, 07:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

It doesn't: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/LibertyAndTraction.mpeg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old September 3rd 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Keep in mind the youngest CJ-5 you'll find is over 25 years old and will
have a host of mechanical problems in the budget you are talking about. Try
a mid-90s or later Cherokee for utility, or a 97-up Wrangler for top down
wind in your face fun.