dented frame rail - problem?

Old October 24th 04, 01:57 AM
pws

Default dented frame rail - problem?

I am helping a friend look for a used miata. We have found one, the
price is right for her, the only thing that I have noticed is that one
of the frame rails has been compressed, it looks like by either hitting
a rock or more likely by being jacked up by a scissor jack at the wrong
point.
The frame rail distorts about 1/2 inch upwards for a length of about 1
inch, this is just beyond the jacking point towards the rear. It hasn't
broken through the rustproof coating, and is probably just more cosmetic
than anything, but I wanted to see what you thought before giving a yes
or no recommendation on taking it to a mechanic for a more complete
inspection. The car is a fairly low-mileage 1995 with all service
records, almost no dings, etc.

So, the question is, should I be concerned about this dent in the frame
rail or is it probably not a problem?

Pat
'96M

coming soon, pictures of a 1996 M edition minus the hood, fenders,
headlight assemblies, radiator and A/C condensor. It appears that the
deer did zero frame damage. Pretty cool looking, actually.
Old October 24th 04, 03:43 AM
KWS

My guess would be to have the alignment checked. If it's ok, then this is
likely cosmetic.

On the other hand, MIatas are so plentiful that you might keep looking.
Congratulations on being so observant.

Ken