2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi

Old June 6th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]

Default 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi

After driving on the highway for an hour or so then parking my Jeep, I
hear a loud vibration/groaning come from the rear of the Jeep when I
drive it again. It only happens when I steer left or right. It
sounds like the rear of my car is about the break off! Usually, after
making a three-point turn (or any sharp turns and/or putting it in
reverse), there will be a loud pop and the vibration goes away. Does
anyone know what might be wrong?

Chrysler-Jeep doesn't know what's wrong because the vibration usually
goes away before I can get it to them.

Thanks for any ideas!

Old June 6th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Clay B Carley

wrote:
> After driving on the highway for an hour or so then parking my Jeep, I
> hear a loud vibration/groaning come from the rear of the Jeep when I
> drive it again. It only happens when I steer left or right. It
> sounds like the rear of my car is about the break off! Usually, after
> making a three-point turn (or any sharp turns and/or putting it in
> reverse), there will be a loud pop and the vibration goes away. Does
> anyone know what might be wrong?
>
> Chrysler-Jeep doesn't know what's wrong because the vibration usually
> goes away before I can get it to them.
>
> Thanks for any ideas!

Do you have a limited slip rear diff? You should be able to tell by
looking at the rear end and seeing a tag attached stating the use of
friction modifier needed (or special fluid, something to that effect).
Also check your manual, see what it says about a limited slip or
"locking type differential" as my manual says. You may need a fluid
change on it.

I had a similar problem on my '87 Grand Wagoneer, the rear diff makes a
bit of noise when warm. As it turns out, changing the fluid & making
sure the correct fluid for a limited slip is put in helped solve the
problem (although mine is a bit older & much more worn out!).

Good luck,
Clay
Old June 6th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

wrote:
> After driving on the highway for an hour or so then parking my Jeep, I
> hear a loud vibration/groaning come from the rear of the Jeep when I
> drive it again. It only happens when I steer left or right. It
> sounds like the rear of my car is about the break off! Usually, after
> making a three-point turn (or any sharp turns and/or putting it in
> reverse), there will be a loud pop and the vibration goes away. Does
> anyone know what might be wrong?
>
> Chrysler-Jeep doesn't know what's wrong because the vibration usually
> goes away before I can get it to them.
>
> Thanks for any ideas!

Unfortunately they put an aluminum rear end in some of those that is
extremely hard to keep wheel bearings in.

If it ever gets jacked up by the pumpkin like some tire shops like to
do, it will get destroyed usually or bend the tubes enough that you will
never hold a wheel bearing in it again.

You should look for this aluminum housing. If yours is steel, ignore
the above and check the fluid level or the fluid for water contamination.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Jan/06
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
Old June 20th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
dans1942

On Jun 5, 4:48 pm, wrote:
> After driving on the highway for an hour or so then parking my Jeep, I
> hear a loud vibration/groaning come from the rear of the Jeep when I
> drive it again. It only happens when I steer left or right. It
> sounds like the rear of my car is about the break off! Usually, after
> making a three-point turn (or any sharp turns and/or putting it in
> reverse), there will be a loud pop and the vibration goes away. Does
> anyone know what might be wrong?
>
> Chrysler-Jeep doesn't know what's wrong because the vibration usually
> goes away before I can get it to them.
>
> Thanks for any ideas!

Tell jeep to keep it until it's fixed if they don't use the Lemon Law,
it kinda sounds like the limited slip diff is acting up.