4x4 conversion

Old July 8th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Amber

Default 4x4 conversion

I have a 1984 pontiac parisienne full size station wagon and i am very
interested in converting it into a 4 wheel drive. I"ve seen many cars
such as olds cutlasses and even camaros that have been changed to 4x4's
and i was just wondering if someone could point me in the right
direction on how to go about the conversion. Any replies appreciated

Old July 8th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Matt Mead

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 14:36:49 -0400, (Amber) wrote:

>I have a 1984 pontiac parisienne full size station wagon and i am very
>interested in converting it into a 4 wheel drive. I"ve seen many cars
>such as olds cutlasses and even camaros that have been changed to 4x4's
>and i was just wondering if someone could point me in the right
>direction on how to go about the conversion. Any replies appreciated

I'm guessing your wagon has a full frame with the body mounted to it.
What type of rear suspension do you have?

Your simplest conversion would be using a full 4x4 set up from an
older fullsize truck or Blazer. Basically you would want the front
and rear axles (with leaf springs), and the transmission and transfer
case.

If the engine is a V-8 or maybe a 4.3 V-6, you should be able to mount
up the 4x4 transmission and T-case with little trouble. I'm guessing
the tunnel in the wagon won't have room for the T-case, meaning you
will either need to rework it, or maybe you can go with a 2-3" body
lift.

After you gut the old suspension, custom leaf spring mounts would be
needed front and rear and then you could bolt in the axles. (If you
already have leaf springs in the back, you may be able to work with
those mounts and springs.

Of course there are a million small details to handle including
brakes, steering, shocks, shifting mechanisms, driveshafts and etc.
This is a BIG project.

Some might offer up the solution of finding a 4x4 frame with a
matching or near matching wheelbase and just bolting your wagon body
on to it. Lots of folks did them this way back in the day. Of course
you still have to deal with body mounts, steering and electrical
issues. Still a BIG project.

If you go ahead with it, post pics and a writeup on the web so we can
all see.

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

E85 Conversion Mike Stafford VW water cooled 2 May 31st 07 01:27 PM
BMW M3 3.2 conversion to LPG joćo oliveira BMW 3 January 5th 06 06:18 PM
5 lug conversion Chad Woodhams Ford Mustang 4 February 8th 05 03:28 AM
H23 conversion? VAMP MADNESS Honda 0 January 5th 05 06:44 AM
6 to V8 conversion William Oliveri Jeep 7 December 6th 04 11:38 PM