Newer cars a lot safer? Worth the expense?

Old January 27th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

Default Newer cars a lot safer? Worth the expense?

I have a 1991 Honda Civic and it runs well, but I feel like I should
probably buy a newer car with airbags for more safety in a crash.
Another reason I might want to buy another car is that mine is a
compact. A larger car would probably provide additional protection.
On the other hand, if I keep my current car I'd save money. Does
anyone think it's not necessarily worthy spending the money for a
bigger car with airbags?
Old January 28th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

When you're driving you're always at risk of being in an accident, no
matter how good a driver you are.

Old January 28th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Yes, and every time I get out of bed in the morning, I am at risk of
slipping and breaking my neck, but that doesn't stop me. More so than
most people as I have hardwood floors (ooooh, living dangerously.) I
can't live in fear of what "might" happen if the risk is so small.

nate

Old January 28th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

On Jan 28, 4:48 am, Shawn Hirn > wrote:
> In article
> >,

What about airbags? They give a lot of extra protection. Do you
think they're worth it?

Old January 28th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

> How much money is your safety worth to you?

It's worth a lot. That's why I feel like it's probably worth getting
a bigger car with airbags.
Old January 29th 08, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Garth Almgren

Around 1/28/2008 1:09 PM, wrote:

> On Jan 28, 4:48 am, Shawn Hirn > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>>
>> wrote:
>>> I have a 1991 Honda Civic and it runs well, but I feel like I
>>> should probably buy a newer car with airbags for more safety in a
>>> crash. Another reason I might want to buy another car is that
>>> mine is a compact. A larger car would probably provide
>>> additional protection. On the other hand, if I keep my current
>>> car I'd save money. Does anyone think it's not necessarily
>>> worthy spending the money for a bigger car with airbags?

>> If your car is working well, keep it until it isn't working well. A
>> bigger car isn't necessarily a safer car. What's most important is
>> how safely you drive. I am sure if you google for "auto safety
>> rating" or some similar term, you can find plenty of information on
>> auto safety ratings.

> What about airbags? They give a lot of extra protection. Do you
> think they're worth it?

As implemented in North American spec vehicles? Probably not worth it,
unless you make a habit of driving around without your seat belt.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.