NSR Review By Randy Magruder

Old February 17th 05, 09:57 PM
David G Fisher

Default NSR Review By Randy Magruder

http://pc.ign.com/articles/588/588381p1.html

9.2 out of 10.
--
David G Fisher

Old February 17th 05, 10:41 PM
PC24

Never heard of the guy. Does he own a wheel.
Or is he just an EA brown noser ?
In article >, says...

Old February 17th 05, 10:51 PM
John Wallace

PC24 wrote:
> Never heard of the guy. Does he own a wheel.
> Or is he just an EA brown noser ?

You've never heard of Randy Magruder!??! Must be 10 years or more he's
been involved in sims, reviewing, on this newsgroup etc.

I guess he owns a wheel....! Maybe someone more "recent" than I can
comment on the nasal shade?
Old February 17th 05, 10:52 PM
Schooner

"For multiplayer racing, EA has finally raised their game to the point where
you can theoretically race in a full 43-car grid online. I did some test
races with the folks at EA, as well as some members of the NASCAR gaming
community, and I have been pleased with the results. There's not too much
lag, and all the options Papyrus gave us for setting up and running race
servers are here in abundance, including a dedicated race server program if
you're running a league or just feel charitable."

Hmm, so its good but laggy and has all the admin features we need yet I have
read many posts already that states it has hardly any admin features at all.

"Unfortunately, even if you follow every audible and visual instruction, the
game can shaft you when it gets confused about where you are and what you
should be doing."

"In the course of a single caution, while accurately following the
computer's directions, I still managed to go a lap down and earn a stop and
go penalty. The in-game instructions in that situation were neither accurate
nor timely: I was told to slow down to get behind a certain car. When I
slowed down, I got a warning that I was going too slow and almost
immediately was told I'd lost my place in the line for going too slow, even
though I was just waiting for the other car to catch up to me."

"After pitting, I exited the pit lane as the pace car was going by, and
slowed to fall back to the end of the line, only to be told that I had
lapped the field under yellow and would be assessed a stop and go. Things
like this forced me to turn on the "auto-drive" feature during cautions. But
even that mode didn't work right. I was told that I was the "Lucky Dog" and
that I should proceed past the pace car to get my lap back. But the AI
driving my car refused to budge. And I could not override it! So, I didn't
feel like such a "Lucky Dog" after all.

That will be an issue if it cannot properly track car placements.

"Fortunately, you can turn off yellows and tweak other rules to minimize the
negative effects of these problems until a fix is available. For
multiplayer, it is a serious issue that will probably have many leagues
resorting to turning off yellow flags until it is fixed."

Thats nice, just turn off yellows for now for online.

And it got a 9.2

Maybe a patch will fix all these issues but it seems to have some glaring
bugs already

.. .

Old February 17th 05, 11:18 PM
Pete

ROFL Randy may have even worked for Papy. I certainly remember him in
beta testing
in the closed beta days before Hawaii. John you're showing your age take it
easy the newbies. :-)
Good to see you still around. Do you ever hear anything about Crammond?

Pete

Old February 18th 05, 01:00 AM
Dave

In article >, PC24 > wrote:

>Never heard of the guy. Does he own a wheel.
>Or is he just an EA brown noser ?

Randy has written most of the best racing sim reviews I've had the
pleasure of reading ... for years. Good to see he is still
around. Now off to that review ...
Old February 18th 05, 02:53 AM
Steve Smith

He's extremely knowledgable, has done some R/W racing, and has been a
respected reviewer @ Digital Sportspage since forever.

Old February 18th 05, 03:18 AM
Steve Smith

Randy seems to have a blind eye for ISI. A close look at the file structure
shows NSR is far more closely related to ISI's sims than Papy's. And since
First bought the rights to Papy's code, it looks like the divide will
continue (if First ever actually stops feeding the lawyers and gets some
product out the door).

Randy has also forgotten some sims he must have played. He yearns for an
"automatic difficulty" system to speed up or slow down the AI cars based on
the player's speed. Need for Speed had that in the previous century. Grand
Prix Legends had that seven years ago (everybody hated it). But otherwise,
I agree with his review. The graphics are great. The UI works. The AI and
rules algorithms need some work. Even the road-racing is serviceable.

Papy's games have always been more realistic to drive, but that was all you
got. EA has dicked around with various "career" modes in an effort to
bolster gameplay. Most have been hokey, but at least somebody is trying to
put something on the table besides a great physics model. There is more to
racing than going fast...but probably less than depicted in "Days of
Thunder." If Papy sims have always been "Le Mans," EA's sims have been
"Grand Prix."

The amazing thing is that EA allowed its code monkeys to produce a hard-core
(well, maybe more Jessica Simpson than Jenna Jameson) sim that's still
accessible to casual players. IMO, EA/Tiburon's biggest contribution to
advancing the art of racing sims, IMO, are the "stackable" info screens.
Great idea!