First time BMW owner

Old October 24th 04, 05:19 PM
NTLWorldNewsGrps

Default First time BMW owner

Hi all,

As I am now the proud owner of my very first BMW.
It's a 520i SE Auto with tiptronic (R reg 1998 UK), I
thought I would check-in and ask if anyone can tell me
what to keep an eye out for on this model. It has done
65K miles to date.

It came with AirCon Climate control, seperate controles
forthe passenger and driver, ASC, 6 disc CD changer
multifunction steering wheel (cruise control, music channel
changer, air recycler, airbags just about everywhere,
hidden tape deck under walnut effect dash, drinks holders
front and rear, Central locking, Alarmed, self dimming
rear view mirror - [most impressed with that, should be
on all cars !!!], all tools and spare wheel etc etc etc.

I had a VW Golf GTi (8 valver) for 17 yrs from new
and loved it. The engine and body work took everything
from -25 to +100 deg and without fault, I did have it
dealer serviced each year though.

I am very impressed with the quietness within the BM's
cabin while driving and how relaxing it feels to drive, I love it. Just
about got used to the size of the thing now
but does still feel like a barge when trying to park in multi
storey car parks. I am going to have rear parking sensors
fitted soon to make reversing easier (I hope), as I still can't tell how far
back I can go before hitting something.

Fuel consumption is around 31mpg I think (according to
the computer anyway. My only gripe about the car is that
STUPID FULE CONSUMPTION SWINGOMETER.
What is the point I ask myself.

Anyway, love the car thus far and am always wanting
to drive it. So if anyone can tell me what I need to be
weary of It would be most appreciated.

Regards to all
Neil

Old October 24th 04, 11:24 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
NTLWorldNewsGrps > wrote:
> My only gripe about the car is that
> STUPID FULE CONSUMPTION SWINGOMETER.
> What is the point I ask myself.

It's a BMW tradition best ignored. It's not something that catches the eye
like a flashing light or whatever. I don't even notice mine is there
anymore.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 25th 04, 03:56 AM
Somebody

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> NTLWorldNewsGrps > wrote:
> > My only gripe about the car is that
> > STUPID FULE CONSUMPTION SWINGOMETER.
> > What is the point I ask myself.

> It's a BMW tradition best ignored. It's not something that catches the eye
> like a flashing light or whatever. I don't even notice mine is there
> anymore.

It can also, on rare occasions give you a clue into an abnormal running
condition... for example if it fluctuates when you're at steady state, or
otherwise doesn't behave as you expect. It can also point to a bad state of
tune if you *know* what it should be at in given conditions and it's reading
higher.

So, my first reaction was "yuk" but I grew to appreciate it somewhat.

-Russ.

Old October 25th 04, 10:12 AM
John Burns

> As I am now the proud owner of my very first BMW.
> It's a 520i SE Auto with tiptronic (R reg 1998 UK), I
> thought I would check-in and ask if anyone can tell me
> what to keep an eye out for on this model. It has done
> 65K miles to date.

BMW will tell you these cars have "lifetime" gearbox fluid. At 65k I
would change mine regardless of what the dealer says, cheap insurance.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old October 25th 04, 10:42 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Somebody > wrote:
> > It's a BMW tradition best ignored. It's not something that catches the
> > eye like a flashing light or whatever. I don't even notice mine is
> > there anymore.
> >

> It can also, on rare occasions give you a clue into an abnormal running
> condition... for example if it fluctuates when you're at steady state,
> or otherwise doesn't behave as you expect. It can also point to a bad
> state of tune if you *know* what it should be at in given conditions and
> it's reading higher.

Never thought of that.

> So, my first reaction was "yuk" but I grew to appreciate it somewhat.

I've also seen it on other German cars and sort of wondered if it was a
legal requirement at one point in that country.

Basic inlet manifold vacuum gauges used to be a popular aftermarket add on
in the UK many years ago. Known as Redex gauges after the maker who also
made (and still does) fuel additive designed to keep the engine 'clean'.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Old October 25th 04, 05:32 PM
NTLWorldNewsGrps

Thanks to all who replied,
I did notice some threads about gearbox oil requiring
changing, irrespective of what BMW says.
So, now that Mr J Burns has highlighted it again, I
think I will have it done. at next service, I have one
green bar lit up out of the five on the dash when I start
her up.

thanks again
Neil

Old October 25th 04, 06:13 PM
Raybender

NTLWorldNewsGrps wrote:

> Fuel consumption is around 31mpg I think (according to
> the computer anyway. My only gripe about the car is that
> STUPID FULE CONSUMPTION SWINGOMETER.
> What is the point I ask myself.
>
> Regards to all
> Neil

Well, as others here have said, if you pay attention and learn the "normal"
consumption for frequent drives, you can often spot something going wrong.

I find it quite useful - though I seem to be one of very few. Here in the
Western US, I'm able to tell when our "rotten" gas has changed from summer to
winter blend etc. More importantly, I often drive long stretches across open
CA and Nevada deserts where gas stations are few and far between. The
consumption meter makes it easy to tell how much trouble I might be getting into
fighting a headwind, for example, so that I can adjust my driving and planned
fuel stops accordingly. A 30 mph headwind added to 90 mph speed can make a big
difference in fuel consumption.

Frank

Old October 25th 04, 06:47 PM
Ramone Cila

"NTLWorldNewsGrps" > wrote in message

> Fuel consumption is around 31mpg I think (according to
> the computer anyway. My only gripe about the car is that
> STUPID FULE CONSUMPTION SWINGOMETER.
> What is the point I ask myself.

BMWs are quirky eccentric automobiles in lots of ways. The fuel consumption
metter is just one example of that. I don't know why it's there and I don't
think anyone can draw any reasonable information from it. Other car
companies probably laughed when BMW put the battery rear and starboard for
balance. BMW, and their history, are full of eccentricities like this. Some
of them matter, some of them don't. Truth is: for 99.9% of BMW owners the
battery location doesn't affect or enhance their driving. But one of the
things I like most about BMWs is that they do not try to be everything to
everybody...ala current Audi offerings. For that small slice of drivers whom
benefit from the battery location, it is the thing to do.

If you think about it, the idea of offering a sporting sedan at a time when
everyone else was offering luxury sedans, is the ultimate eccentricity. BMW
has carried on in that vein, and everyone else has tried to follow, but at
it's heart of hearts BMW has never been a car company in which everything
about their cars had to make sense or follow the norm. The only thing that
really mattered was how they drove.

As strange as it sounds I think you see that now in their current
designs.....a chassis, suspension and compliant ride other companies still
cannot match, but styling that is decidedly outside the norm.

It is one of the things I have always loved about BMWs and I
suspect....always will.

Old October 25th 04, 07:16 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Ramone Cila > wrote:
> Other car companies probably laughed when BMW put the battery rear and
> starboard for balance. BMW, and their history, are full of
> eccentricities like this. Some of them matter, some of them don't. Truth
> is: for 99.9% of BMW owners the battery location doesn't affect or
> enhance their driving. But one of the things I like most about BMWs is
> that they do not try to be everything to everybody...ala current Audi
> offerings. For that small slice of drivers whom benefit from the battery
> location, it is the thing to do.

Lead acid batteries dislike excessive heat. More than one maker has
enclosed an engine compartment mounted one and added a fan to help keep it
cool. The snag with boot mounting is that it is more likely to be ignored
when checking things. Not so much a problem with modern low maintenance
types and decent charging systems, though.

One other down side is the cost of the heavy duty cable to the starter.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Old October 25th 04, 08:10 PM
Ramone Cila

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ramone Cila > wrote:
> > Other car companies probably laughed when BMW put the battery rear and
> > starboard for balance. BMW, and their history, are full of
> > eccentricities like this. Some of them matter, some of them don't. Truth
> > is: for 99.9% of BMW owners the battery location doesn't affect or
> > enhance their driving. But one of the things I like most about BMWs is
> > that they do not try to be everything to everybody...ala current Audi
> > offerings. For that small slice of drivers whom benefit from the battery
> > location, it is the thing to do.

> Lead acid batteries dislike excessive heat.

I understand your assertion, yet I doubt it's relevance to the battery being
located in the boot. BMW has always maintained they did it for balance
issues. After all, it could just as easily be on the drivers side of the
boot and the changer on the passenger side.

> One other down side is the cost of the heavy duty cable to the starter.

As well as the homerun from the alternator.

Audi owner research David Leonard Audi 3 December 23rd 04 08:25 PM
How to set the time on 86 E30 crystalandsean BMW 2 October 7th 04 03:07 AM
new owner of 03 A4 Quattro JJ Audi 1 June 9th 04 10:39 PM
New Audi Owner Len S. Audi 1 May 26th 04 03:02 AM
2004 S4 - Owner Opinions? Randy S Audi 2 May 20th 04 12:54 AM