Overheating problem '97 TJ

Old July 17th 05, 06:15 PM
Endo

Default Overheating problem '97 TJ

I was idling in traffic on the 4th waiting to get into parking at the new
Heinz Field in Pittsburgh for fireworks and all of a sudden my temp jumped
up to just below the red and the 'check gauges' light came on. I did a
quick u=turn and got into a non-congested lane and got moving to get some
air flowing and it calmed down to a little over 210, but just a hair higher
than usual. I was running the a/c on max since i had the top on still.
Shortly after it cooled back down to a more reasonable level I noticed
another strange problem....when I came to a stop the oil pressure would dive
down to zero and the light would come on again. Once it cooled down for
good after parking for awhile this went away too. It's done it a few more
times since and it's usually during slow driving with the a/c on. The oil
level seems fine and it's Valvoline full synthetic 10w30. Coolant is topped
off and is a nice green color, not nasty stuff.

Any theories for this happening?

Shawn

Old July 17th 05, 09:07 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Endo,
I'd flush your system like you've doing every two years to avoid
the electrolysis that'll eat the head gasket, water pump seal, and core
plugs. And go ahead and replace the fan clutch.
The oil temperature lags behind the water, but eventually catches
up, if you had checked it you would have seen it with the constancy of
water, with about the same lubricating qualities. If your going to get
caught in traffic jams, then switch to 20/40, or 20/50 like I use at
three hundred thousand miles. Remember pickups with the trailer package
also have oil coolers.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 18th 05, 02:43 AM
Endo

The fan clutch sounds probable, and I will probably flush it too just to be
safe but the antifreeze in it is only about a year old and still nice and
green. Maybe it's too strong a mixture and I need more water.I will get a
bottle of the Redline Water Wetter too just to help out.

I will consider a heavier weight oil also, i'm due for a change now anyway.
Too bad Wally-World only carries Valvoline full synthetic in 10w30 so i'm
going to have to go to a 'real' parts store like Auto Zone. (sic)

Shawn

Old July 18th 05, 02:58 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Get the thermo activated clutch, the centrifugal saves gas, but
will over heat at high revolutions per minute, below forty miles an
hours like we do in the lower gears off road.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 18th 05, 03:53 AM
BillyRay

What about a possible water pump problem Bill? He did not mention any
unusual noise but that doesn't always happen.

I would (and did) install one of those $3.99 Flush-N-Fill Kits in the heater
hose. It is remarkable how much junk it can flush out of a motor/radiator.

I would skip the water wetter. DC advises against it.

Make sure you get old fashioned 'American Green" or Zerex G-05 antifreeze
and not the Texaco-GM "Dex-Cool" based formula which have a reputation for
clogging and eating radiators metals.

The concentration should be 50-60% antifreeze in your area. Less offers
little corrosion protection.

Old July 18th 05, 04:06 AM
Endo

No strange noises so far. Seems like this is only a problem when the A/C is
on and i'm idling in park or moving at very slow speeds. I can and have
cooled it down by increasing RPMs while sitting still in park. It has been
the hottest it's been here all summer recently. It's been 85F or higher and
while I know that's nothing compared to Arizona or Florida it is damn hot to
us temperate climate people.

I'm curious to the reason DC doesn't like the water wetter. I never heard
anyone refer to it before.

And yes I am staying a far and wide path around the Dex-Cool stuff. I used
that once on a car and regretted it dearly. I might as well have filled the
f-ing thing with battery acid for all the damage it caused. My '99 Merc.
Cougar came factory with it, so I left it alone. Maybe thats the key,
unless it's put in at the factory never try to use it.

And yes I usually run 50%, but with the color of it now i'm worried it may
be a lot higher percentage of antifreeze than water. Hose water is good to
flush with but does anyone prefer distilled water to fill with?

Oh, and lastly I wonder if I have a sticking thermostat or maybe a bad
radiator cap? I heard one noise that I think was the rad. cap letting go
when it overheated once...

Shawn

Old July 18th 05, 04:50 AM
Jerry Bransford

There's no way I'd ever switch away from the '97 TJ's factory
recommended 10W-30 to anything as heavy as 20W-40 or 20W-50. The 40 and
50 viscosities those operate at when warmed up are more difficult to
pump through the engine's oil journals than is necessary and just makes
the oil pump work harder. Plus the 20W viscosity it is before it warms
up is harder to get pumped into the engine when it's cold which can
cause reduced lubrication at startup, which is where much of an engine's
wear comes from. Leading oil manufacturers are now even recommending
5W-30 over 10W-30 since it gets into the engine faster at startup yet it
is still a good 30 weight viscosity when it gets up to normal operating
temperature.

On your coolant and water mixture, it should be no stronger than 50:50.
The more antifreeze used, the less efficient the mixture is at cooling
the engine.

Jerry

http://www.billhughes.com/

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old July 18th 05, 05:28 AM
Dave Milne

The dealers here use Mobil 1 0W-40.
I don't think I have ever seen a 10W-30 on the shelves; 10W-40 is the norm.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Old July 18th 05, 06:06 AM
Billy Ray

Sounds like the pump is turning then but the problem was there wasn't enough
air flowing through the radiator. The Ohio Valley weather isn't always fun,
it may be only 85 degrees but the humidity is also 85 percent.

I assume that DC doesn't like the additives as there is an increased
possibility of unintended chemical interactions whenever you start dumping
stuff into a complex piece of machinery. They say it isn't needed.

With the new antifreezes you have to use distilled water to get the greater
benefit. I just flushed my WJ and I thought it was worth 79 cents/gallon
for the distilled water. I got the "new" DC approved antifreeze (Zerex
G-05) and was only able to find it at Pep Boys which is across town (in
Cincinnati). It is NOT available at Auto-Zone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA,
Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, or Meijer. They carry Prestone or Peak. Zerex
G-05 is about the same price as "American Green", I paid $9.99/gal

I've not looked into any prices but my WJ has an electric fan that is
temperature controlled.

Thermostats and radiator caps are cheap. If I was having problems I would
replace them as a matter of course.

As far as oil is concerned I am a great believer in the synthetics and
synthetic blends. They flow more easily, clean better, increase mileage,
and decrease emissions. They sometimes cause a drop in oil pressure because
greater fluidity (reciprocal of viscosity), they flow so much easier than
Dino oil. (You will recall that an oil pressure gauge measures the
resistance to flow coming out of the pump). I run 10w-30 in the WJ (and
5w-30 in the Audi) but have no philosophical problems with using a slightly
heavier multi-grade oil. I used Rotella-T 15w-40 or Pennzoil 20w-50 for
many years and would not expect any problems in an 8 year old vehicle. I
will cause your gasoline mileage to drop.

Old July 18th 05, 02:32 PM
Mike Romain

Our 'new' fan clutch just gave up the ghost. They (DC) are selling
really crappie parts these days. Ours is only about 4 years old.

To test the fan clutch, heat up the engine fully and have someone shut
it down while you watch the fan. A working clutch will stop the fan
almost instantly. If it keeps spinning, replace. Or shove a screw in
the SOB to make it a fixed fan like I think I am gong to do. If their
crappie parts only last 3 or 4 years, screw them.

I would get a cheap hydrometer to check the antifreeze. Playing a
guessing game with it is a sure way to destroy the engine. Too thick
will overheat, 50/50 is best for all round use.

'I' sure wouldn't swap oil types unless mine turned into an oil burner.
We have over 300K on ours and 10W30 still only uses a liter between
changes.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's