Who Says Cars Aren't an Investment?

Old April 14th 05, 12:32 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 4/13/2005 1:10 PM, C.H. wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:05:58 -0700, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:14:14 -0700, "C.H." >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>No, the person driving the Prius will have emitted a lot more carbon
>>>dioxide than my car will do for the rest of its lifespam just by having
>>>their Prius built.

>>Was that some sort of Freudian Slip?

> How was that a Freudian slip?

"Lifespam".

Clearly a typo, but a funny one.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old April 14th 05, 01:40 AM
C.H.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:22:48 -0700, N E One wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:06:46 -0700, "C.H." >
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:49:54 -0700, N E One apparently lost interest in
>>the discussion and tried to start a flamewar.
>>
>>Nice try. Come back when you have arguments instead of personal attacks.
>>

> WTF?

Thanks for proving my point.

> I haven't attacked you at all. In fact, it is you who attacked Prius
> drivers.

No, I merely stated an obvious fact.

> I simply don't believe that none of them actually care about the
> environment.

I didn't say that and you know quite well that I didn't. I said that care
for the environment is not a major factor in buying a Prius.

> I'd also love to see you back up any of your claims regarding the
> environmental costs of hybrids vs. conventional cars with facts.

And I'd love to see you behave in a civilized manner.

Chris
Old April 14th 05, 01:58 AM
C.H.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:51:01 -0500, Brent P wrote:

> In article >, N E One wrote:
>> Hybrids haven't been around long enough for you to make such a
>> comparison.

> I doubt most of the owners of these hybrids will keep their cars more
> than 5 years before they seek out something new. Thusly they are consuming
> resources at a far greater pace than I.

Correct.

> Yet, to them, I am not good to the environment because I have one car
> with a V8 and another that is 32 years old. I can drive many many years
> on what they consume each time they replace a car.

What do you care what other people think? (R.P. Feynman)

I know that taking good care of my current car is going to be much better
for the environment in the long run than consuming a Prius every few years
and if someone thinks bad of me for that he is stupid.

Chris
Old April 14th 05, 02:02 AM
L Sternn

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:40:42 -0700, "C.H." >
wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:22:48 -0700, N E One wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:06:46 -0700, "C.H." >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:49:54 -0700, N E One apparently lost interest in
>>>the discussion and tried to start a flamewar.
>>>
>>>Nice try. Come back when you have arguments instead of personal attacks.
>>>

>> WTF?

>Thanks for proving my point.

Show us a personal attack in this thread that didn't emanate from your
own keyboard.

>> I haven't attacked you at all. In fact, it is you who attacked Prius
>> drivers.

>No, I merely stated an obvious fact.

Your opinion is not fact.

>> I simply don't believe that none of them actually care about the
>> environment.

>I didn't say that and you know quite well that I didn't. I said that care
>for the environment is not a major factor in buying a Prius.

You're splitting hairs.

>> I'd also love to see you back up any of your claims regarding the
>> environmental costs of hybrids vs. conventional cars with facts.

>And I'd love to see you behave in a civilized manner.

There's another personal attack.

To quote you:

Old April 14th 05, 02:10 AM
C.H.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:02:04 -0700, L Sternn wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:40:42 -0700, "C.H." >
> wrote:
>
>>> WTF?

>>Thanks for proving my point.
>>

> Show us a personal attack in this thread that didn't emanate from your
> own keyboard.

Read your own postings and you will find a whole bunch.

>>> I haven't attacked you at all. In fact, it is you who attacked Prius
>>> drivers.

>>No, I merely stated an obvious fact.

> Your opinion is not fact.

My opinion isn't, but the fact that Prius owners buy there cars for
appearance instead of for the environment, is. Even funnier is, that some
people openly admit that they buy a Prius for the money savings at the
pump only. They get the equivalent of a Corolla for 10000-15000 dollars
more than they would pay for the Corolla just to be able to save a few
cents at the pump.

A Corolla gets 30mpg, a Prius (under ideal coditions) maybe 45mpg. So over
90000 miles the Corolla uses 3000 gallons, the Prius 2000 plus an $5000
battery. Very economical indeed, not to mention so environmentally
friendly. Even at 5 dollars a gallon and not taking the batteries into
account a Prius would have to last at least 180000 miles until it breaks
even with the lowly Corolla.

Good thing for Toyota, that math is not a strength of their average
customer.

>>> I simply don't believe that none of them actually care about the
>>> environment.

>>I didn't say that and you know quite well that I didn't. I said that care
>>for the environment is not a major factor in buying a Prius.
>>

> You're splitting hairs.

No, I simply corrected your lie.

>>> I'd also love to see you back up any of your claims regarding the
>>> environmental costs of hybrids vs. conventional cars with facts.

>>And I'd love to see you behave in a civilized manner.
>>

> There's another personal attack.

No, it's a statement of fact.

> To quote you:
>
> "Nice try. Come back when you have arguments instead of personal
> attacks."

Feel free to.

Chris
Old April 14th 05, 02:12 AM
L Sternn

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:56:35 -0700, "C.H." >
wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:23:25 -0700, N E One wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:40:47 -0500,
>> (Brent P) wrote:

>>>I pollute less than the hybrid driver by the mere fact that I keep my
>>>cars for a very long time. I don't require a new car to be built for me
>>>anywhere close to as often.
>>>

>> Hybrids haven't been around long enough for you to make such a
>> comparison.

>Hybrids have custom parts like batteries which have a) limited lifespans
>like all batteries

|How long does the Prius battery last and what is the replacement cost?
|
|The Prius battery (and the battery-power management system) has been
|designed to maximize battery life. In part this is done by keeping the battery
|at an optimum charge level - never fully draining it and never fully recharging it.
|As a result, the Prius battery leads a pretty easy life. We have lab data showing
|the equivalent of 180,000 miles with no deterioration and expect it to last the
|life of the vehicle. We also expect battery technology to continue to improve: the
|second-generation model battery is 15% smaller, 25% lighter, and has 35% more
|specific power than the first. This is true of price as well. Between the 2003 and
|2004 models, service battery costs came down 36% and we expect them to
|continue to drop so that by the time replacements may be needed it won't be a
|much of an issue. Since the car went on sale in 2000, Toyota has not replaced a
|single battery for wear and tear.

Granted, that's from Toyota's website but feel free to point out
specifically where they are wrong.

>, b) are custom made for this specific car and c) will
>simply be unavailable 10-15 years from now.

If there's a market for them, they will be available.

>Regardless of how well taken
>care of your Hybrid is, it will be a paperweight.
>
>Chris

Patrick's Agenda -- CJ Explains It All [email protected] Ford Mustang 14 February 27th 05 05:26 AM
American cars Dave Antique cars 6 February 13th 05 05:27 PM
Vintage Cars Get Hot with Makeovers Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 2 December 5th 04 05:13 AM
European Cars Least Reliable Richard Schulman VW water cooled 3 November 11th 04 10:41 AM
FS: 1991 "Classic Cars" (Of The World) Cards with Box J.R. Sinclair General 0 May 27th 04 07:31 AM