"Sobriety Checkpoints"

Old January 10th 05, 09:14 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >, .
says...

>But they have SOME amount of probable cause.Do they really stop people just
>for driving the speed limit? I'm doubtful about that.

don't doubt it. Someone, maybe Corey, posted of such an incident. They
were stopped because by obeying the law they looked suspicious and stuck
out like a sore thumb. As Brent says, they will use any excuse they think
they can get away with.

>No,there is no PC for stopping anyone passing by their checkpoint.They are
>just general fishing expeditions;stop a large enough group,some criminals
>are bound to turn up, that's prohibited by the Constitution.

Great. Now convince the folks who have let this go on for so many years.
-------------
Alex

Old January 11th 05, 10:46 PM
Bob Lutz

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:07:59 -0500, Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> Chow down on some onions and then breath hard in his face when he comes
> near you.

Thats a good thought that hadn't occurred to me....

The cop that looked in my window, had been served in my drive-thru
probably an hour before I was stopped...

Common sense dictates that if you're going to harass someone, the person
with his hair plastered to his head after serving people for 10 hours is
probably not the best choice...

Old January 11th 05, 10:46 PM
Bob Lutz

Old January 11th 05, 10:54 PM
Bob Lutz

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:43:17 -0700, Olaf Gustafson wrote:

> I've heard they often announce where and when they'll be. I have yet to
> find any of these notices where I live now, but the conventional wisdom
> holds that they only do them on major holiday weekends and in the 2 years
> I've lived in a state fascist enough to have such checkpoints, I've never
> seen one.

They do them around here during a lot of non-holiday times, like on Friday
and Saturday nights, on the major streets leading out of downtown.

This of course, from the city that got tired of people 'cruising' the main
drag, and thusly closes it to vehicular traffic on Friday and Saturdays.
This is a US highway they are doing this on.