Power Drum Brakes

Old May 31st 05, 08:58 PM
Willis

Default Power Drum Brakes

Good afternoon all,

Does anyone know of a good online resource to explain and show how to
bleed out and refill power drum brake lines, and how to adjust the
drums? I have a 1963 Ford Galaxie with optional power drums, and I
have to stand on the pedal to get it to stop! Any help would
definitely be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

Old May 31st 05, 09:45 PM
N8N

Willis wrote:
> Good afternoon all,
>
> Does anyone know of a good online resource to explain and show how to
> bleed out and refill power drum brake lines, and how to adjust the
> drums? I have a 1963 Ford Galaxie with optional power drums, and I
> have to stand on the pedal to get it to stop! Any help would
> definitely be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jason

I prefer to use a pressure bleeder, I don't like the vacuum ones and
pump-bleeding tends to wipe out your MC if the system hasn't been
regularly flushed every couple years.

That said, a car with power drums should have no problem locking them
up when you stop. I wonder if you have an issue with the power
booster. Do you have a "hot" cam in the car? Sure you're getting
vacuum to the booster? When you stand on the brakes and then start the
engine, can you feel the pedal fall a little bit?

Other things to check - old hoses are no good, replace them all if you
don't know when they were last done. They can swell up inside and
choke off fluid flow which will also cause your brakes to drag.
Finally for the adjustment, I assume you have the star wheel adjusters,
if so adjust them until they can't be tightened any more and then back
them off until you can feel a light drag while rotating the wheel by
hand. Adjust them again after a couple drives if they're way out of
adjustment. If you have self-adjusters you will need to release the
self-adjusters when backing off the adjustment, someone who's familiar
with your particular brake system will have to tell you how to do that
(most of my drum brake experience is on Studebakers with no self
adjusters)

good luck,

nate

Old May 31st 05, 09:57 PM
*

Willis > wrote in article
. com>...

> Good afternoon all,
>
> Does anyone know of a good online resource to explain and show how to
> bleed out and refill power drum brake lines, and how to adjust the
> drums? I have a 1963 Ford Galaxie with optional power drums, and I
> have to stand on the pedal to get it to stop! Any help would
> definitely be appreciated.

Sounds more like problem with the vacuum - or lack thereof - in the
booster rather than air in the hydraulics.......

Air makes the pedal mushy - not hard!

Check out the booster and its vacuum source.

Old May 31st 05, 10:20 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> old hoses are no good, replace them all if you
> don't know when they were last done

While agreeing with the people who suggest that this sounds like a
problem with the booster or the vacuum supply thereof, let me wave the
flag for a whole-system brake overhaul.

At the very least, I would suggest replacing all undercar rubber in
the brake system, all the way out to the wheel cylinders, unless you
know it to be good. Inspect the metal tubes carefully their entire
length while you're at it (or see if you can get replacements for them
too).

Worst case, that stuff has been down there undergoing oxidation and
wear and tear since the Kennedy administration... whereas dual circuit
brakes didn't come along until late LBJ or early Nixon. With these
older ones, a single rupture anywhere in the system can drain the whole
thing! (Not that suddenly having only half your brakes is any picnic,
but it's better than none at all.)

I also presume that an older brake system unknown to me has some
potentially horrifying water content, amid the particles of
disintegrated rubber and, of all things, rust.

Meanwhile, something to keep in the back of your mind is that the
parking aka emergency brake has a *mechanical* connection to the rear
brake shoes and gives you some stopping power even if you lose the
hydraulic stuff.

As for manuals, I think you need the Ford shop manual for that car. If
you're really lucky you'll chance upon _Fix Your Ford_ and/or _How To
Fix Up Old Cars_ in a flea market or garage sale somewhere. See if
the Galaxie club or some individual or affiliated vendor has the shop
manual. Public libraries might still have the aftermarket manuals
appropriate to the car.

Two other big tips for repairing the wheel end of brakes, especially
drum brakes, are
1. Only do one side at a time so you can use the other side (with
appropriate mirror imaging) as a cheat sheet.
2. Take a good long look, drawing as many pictures as you care to, at
how the parts go together in three dimensions before you dive in with
your brake pliers.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old May 31st 05, 10:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Willis wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good online resource to explain and show how to
> bleed out and refill power drum brake lines, and how to adjust the
> drums? I have a 1963 Ford Galaxie with optional power drums, and I have
> to stand on the pedal to get it to stop! Any help would definitely be
> appreciated.

Not enough info -- on our end or on yours.

1) You need a factory service manual. They are not difficult or expensive
to buy. Check ebay or autolit.com . Do not attempt to use an aftermarket
(Haynes, Chilton, Motor, etc.) manual; get the genuine Ford book. This is
the FIRST tool to buy if you're going to work on your own car -- not the
last.

2) You don't mention if your car is stock or modified. That has a large
potential impact on the cause of your problem.

3) As others have mentioned, power drum brakes on a '63 Ford should be
very easy to lock up with little more than a tiptoe touch. If that's not
the case, the problem could lie in the booster itself, the booster's
ancillary vacuum transport and storage systems, and/or in the brake
hydraulic and/or frictional systems.

Old May 31st 05, 11:18 PM
Steve

Willis wrote:

> Good afternoon all,
>
> Does anyone know of a good online resource to explain and show how to
> bleed out and refill power drum brake lines, and how to adjust the
> drums? I have a 1963 Ford Galaxie with optional power drums, and I
> have to stand on the pedal to get it to stop! Any help would
> definitely be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jason

Bleeding is exactly the same as with disk brakes- open the bleeder,
depress pedal (helper does this) close bleeder, release. Repeat many
times to fully flush the lines.

Adjusting- turn the starwheel adjuster (using a screwdriver or a
brake-adjusting tool) through the slot on the back cover plate until the
shoes *just* barely begin to drag. After that, the auto-adjuster should
take care of it.

If you "have to stand on the pedal," odds are that somethings wrong.
Power booster not working, drums out of round, brake linings hardened, etc.
Old June 1st 05, 01:48 PM

Willis wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good online resource to explain
> and show how to bleed out and refill power drum brake
> lines, and how to adjust the drums? I have a 1963 Ford
> Galaxie with optional power drums, and I have to stand
> on the pedal to get it to stop!

If you absolutely can't get a factory manual, use a Mitchell from a
library -- much better than Haynes or Chilton.

www.fordforum.com should be useful, especially about any
particularities.

If you bleed the brakes by pumping the pedal, don't pump it down any
farther than it normally travels or the seals will scrape against the
rusty, debris-filled part of the cylinder and be ruined. Even pumping
just 3/4" is enough to bleed the brakes.

Old June 2nd 05, 08:53 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 31 May 2005, Willis wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a good online resource to explain and show how to
> > bleed out and refill power drum brake lines, and how to adjust the
> > drums? I have a 1963 Ford Galaxie with optional power drums, and I have
> > to stand on the pedal to get it to stop! Any help would definitely be
> > appreciated.

> Not enough info -- on our end or on yours.
>
> 1) You need a factory service manual. They are not difficult or expensive
> to buy. Check ebay or autolit.com .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...atego ry=6759

Ted

Old June 27th 05, 12:41 AM
Willis

Service manual is on the way!!! Thanks for the advice!

Jason

Adjusting Rear Drum Brakes Mel P. Jeep 2 April 30th 05 02:13 PM
'91 Accord Radio Power Question Phil Honda 4 March 25th 05 07:25 AM
breaking in new drum brakes? ant Technology 0 January 29th 05 06:01 AM
'66 Mustang drum -> power front disc conversion rw Ford Mustang 12 December 5th 04 08:32 PM
Turning key kills power...until I step on brakes! rocklob Saturn 1 October 13th 04 12:20 AM