Copy of email to [email protected]

Old March 8th 05, 12:21 PM
Andy Turner

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:01:51 -0500, Dean Dark
> wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:43:06 +0000 (UTC), Andy Turner
> wrote:
>
>>Of course not - it was the point I was moving towards and the reason I
>>asked the question in the first place. "Do try to keep up".

>I have no way of knowing what your fevered mind is "moving towards"
>before you have articulated (and I use the term loosely) it.

Nope, and no-one expected you to. However, you only got confused about
it *after* I'd presented it (you quoted it after all..), not "before".

once I did present my *subsequent* point based on *your* answer, you
did get rather confused and believe it was some sort of strawman. I'd
like to think you

> I can
>only go by what is actually said, and on *that* score, there was a
>simple question (not a "request for an opinion"

It's an opinion since Mary's answer may well be different to others.
Mary might even disagree with the answer you proposed - especially
since it drops him into a huge vat of hypocrisy.

> as you so quaintly put it) that was answered in a pretty
> definite manner.

It was answered with a metaphor that didn't make sense. You claim it
did make sense, but rather revealingly, you have failed to explain how
it relates despite repeated requests for you to do so. Moving to a
conclusion m'lud...

>You can go dancing off in all directions now, scattering strawmen
>around as you go, but you don't fool me.

LOL! Dean fella, you should look in the mirror on this one. I'm
*still* asking you to explain the metaphor as I have *three* times
now. That's hardly "dancing off in all directions", now is it.

>>Once again, I look forward to your explanation....

>I'm not going to explain it to you yet again.

You haven't explained it once. You credit people with little
intelligence if you think that snipping most of the quotes away and
then LYING that you've already explained it is going to fool anyone.

> Why don't you just carry on winging it and hoping that no one will notice?

LOL! Oh the irony!

So for the *third* time, I ask you to explain how the parts of the
metaphor relate to the aspects of my question. Hey - you could even
use quotes of that imaginary time you answered it before if you
like...

I await your explanation with interest and mild amusement.

andyt

Old March 8th 05, 12:33 PM
Andy Turner

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:21:59 +0000 (UTC), Andy Turner
> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:01:51 -0500, Dean Dark
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:43:06 +0000 (UTC), Andy Turner
> wrote:
>>
>>>Of course not - it was the point I was moving towards and the reason I
>>>asked the question in the first place. "Do try to keep up".

>>I have no way of knowing what your fevered mind is "moving towards"
>>before you have articulated (and I use the term loosely) it.

>Nope, and no-one expected you to. However, you only got confused about
>it *after* I'd presented it (you quoted it after all..), not "before".
>
>once I did present my *subsequent* point based on *your* answer, you
>did get rather confused and believe it was some sort of strawman. I'd
>like to think you

Ack, I clearly hadn't finished writing that bit.. I'll try again:

>>I have no way of knowing what your fevered mind is "moving towards"
>>before you have articulated (and I use the term loosely) it.

Nope, and no-one expected you to. However, you only got confused about
it *after* I'd presented it (you quoted it after all..), not "before".
However, once I did present my *subsequent* point based on *your*
answer, you did get rather confused and believe it was some sort of
strawman WRT the original question.

andyt

Old March 8th 05, 01:25 PM
Linz

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:45:12 -0000, "Oldun"
> wrote:

>Why don't you lot GROW UP or SHUT UP.
>
>This newsgroup is concerned with BMW and nothing else.

"This newsgroup"? Having trouble reading headers?
--
The point of education is to correct ignorance. It cannot deal with stupidity.
(Mortimer Hebblethwaite, uk.misc)
Old March 8th 05, 02:39 PM
Mary Pegg

Andy Turner wrote:
> Self-centredness is having your head so much up your own arse that you
> believe that the preferences of you and others are the only
> preferences that must be allowed and that they must be forced on those
> who have different preferences.

Nobody's forcing anybody to do anything.

Least of all post to, or read, uk.misc. However those that choose to
post to uk.misc are requested to abide by the norms of the group.

--
Happy, sad, cross and concentrating.
Old March 8th 05, 02:45 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

I would posit that the metaphor could also have referred to the contents of
the thread, not to the style of posting in it...

:-)
DAS

---

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message

[...]
> She answered the question. If you read carefully above, you can see.
> I think it's her metaphor and sarcasm that's confusing you. Her
> answer was "no."

[...]

Old March 8th 05, 02:46 PM
Mary Pegg

Adrian wrote:

> The newsgroup I'm reading this in is concerned with any miscellaneous
> topics to do with cars in the UK.

That's nice, dear.

--
Happy, sad, cross and concentrating.
Old March 8th 05, 02:50 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

I have to tell that although I am also viewing this via the BMW newsgroup
the thread is cross-posted to two others.

Don't you find these intra-English exchanges of fairly polite insults so
much better then the US habit of simply effing and blinding when people get
frustrated?

DAS

---

Old March 8th 05, 02:52 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

LLLLoL.

I wonder if you have the same source of wise sayings as Dave Plowman does.
I am sure I once saw such a website but I forgot to bookmark it...

DAS
---

"Peter Corlett" > wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Old March 8th 05, 02:55 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Come on, now, such ill-defined swearing is not in the spirit of this
exchange of insults, which has been remarkably free of such basic
Anglo-Saxon.

DAS

---

"JAF" > wrote in message
[...]

> You stupid ****.

[...]

Old March 8th 05, 03:17 PM
Stephen Gower

Andy Turner > wrote:
>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:52:04 GMT, Mary Pegg wrote:
>>Andy Turner wrote:
>>> mean, would *you* change to top-posting if you joined a group where
>>> most people did?

>>Would I gag if I plunged my head into a bucketful of ****?
>>Why yes, I think I would.

>Great. And what relevance does that have?

Do you have to be so tedious? I think it is clear Mary is implying
that joining a such a group would be distasteful and would only be
done if forced or for some sort of perverse pleasure. With that
caveat established, the answer "yes" is there.

[Follow-ups set, since this has nothing to do with cars anymore]
--
Selah