I'm looking for a hard top

Old November 13th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

Default I'm looking for a hard top

On 2006-11-13, Mr Q > wrote:

>> In the US you first have to cut away some plastic moldings to
>> create a place for the side latches. In Aussie models to they
>> really just bolt on with no cutting?

> Just the same. I did say "pretty much" just bolt on.
>
> It's not a difficult job in any case.

No, it's pretty easy. The side-latches cover up the cut edges
of the plastic, so you don't have to do a particularly neat or
clean job of cutting. Some people have talked about taking the
plastic moldings out to do the cutting. Apparently there are
markings molded into the back side showing where to cut.

I decided to just fire up the dremel tool and hack a hole
roughly where the bolts needed to go through and then
enlarge/move the hole until the latches fit.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Life is selling
at REVOLUTIONARY HAIR
Old November 15th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

After you have accumulated things and installed but not tightened the side
latch plates - - -
There is a single screw on each of the chrome boxes at the rear of the hard
top. These allow you to move the chrome top aside to access adjustable stops
inside.
The idea is to have a small amount of force against the stops when the top
is latched to the windshield frame with the front latches. Next, adjust the
side latches and plates so that the latch operates smoothly, and pulls the
hard top down slightly. This helps to prevent leaks and squeaks. Some of
the early Miatas and hard tops had heated rear windows. this gets into a
wiring, switch and interlock issue that may or may not exist on your Miata.
It's possible that the hard top has a rear window heater and your Miata does
not have the wiring, etc. to make it operational.

"Don" > wrote in message
> Pat (or others for that matter)
>
> can you point me to an article or how to on installing the hard ware for a
> hard top. I have the hard top but my 2001 model car doesn't have the
> hardware. Had hoped to install the parts myself if its not too hard as my
> local dealer has quoted $900!!
>
> regards
>
> Don from Down Under
> "pws" > wrote in message
> > chazman wrote:
> >> Hi, I'm looking to purchase a new or used hardtop for my 91 Miata.

Anyone
> >> know of a place near Dana Point in S. California that sells them or

does
> >> anyone have one for sale near the area?

> > There are always some for sale on the www.miata.net classifieds. You can
> > also put a wanted to buy ad up there. You shouldn't have any trouble
> > finding one in Southern California.
> > You may have to travel a bit, but shipping them is so expensive that

this
> > is probably a better option, just be sure to mount your hardtop hardware
> > before you go pick it up if it is not included with the hardtop.
> > Otherwise, be ready to install the hardware there before you leave. It

is
> > not a hard or long process.
> >
> > There are a lot of people who own them, rarely or never use them, and

end
> > up selling them.
> >
> > You might also try Craigslist for your area, again with a WTB. Expect to
> > pay $800.00 to $1000.00 depending on condition and color unless you get
> > lucky or buy a damaged one to fix.
> > I did see a pristine black one with defroster and headliner on

Craigslist

Old November 15th 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don[_7_]

Chuck

thanks, good hint. Lots of folk have said to no worry about the side
latches. Do you have a view on this.

regards

Don from Down Under

Old November 17th 06, 11:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Getting the side latches installed and adjusted properly seems to help
"stiffen" things a bit. This may also reduce possible squeaking when the
rubber gaskets shift.
I don't know anything about collision damage with and without the latches.

"Don" > wrote in message
> Chuck
>
> thanks, good hint. Lots of folk have said to no worry about the side
> latches. Do you have a view on this.
>
> regards
>
> Don from Down Under
> "Chuck" > wrote in message
> > After you have accumulated things and installed but not tightened the

side
> > latch plates - - -
> > There is a single screw on each of the chrome boxes at the rear of the
> > hard
> > top. These allow you to move the chrome top aside to access adjustable
> > stops
> > inside.
> > The idea is to have a small amount of force against the stops when the

top
> > is latched to the windshield frame with the front latches. Next, adjust
> > the
> > side latches and plates so that the latch operates smoothly, and pulls

the
> > hard top down slightly. This helps to prevent leaks and squeaks. Some

of
> > the early Miatas and hard tops had heated rear windows. this gets into a
> > wiring, switch and interlock issue that may or may not exist on your
> > Miata.
> > It's possible that the hard top has a rear window heater and your Miata
> > does
> > not have the wiring, etc. to make it operational.
> >
> > "Don" > wrote in message
> >> Pat (or others for that matter)
> >>
> >> can you point me to an article or how to on installing the hard ware

for
> >> hard top. I have the hard top but my 2001 model car doesn't have the
> >> hardware. Had hoped to install the parts myself if its not too hard as
> >> my
> >> local dealer has quoted $900!!
> >>
> >> regards
> >>
> >> Don from Down Under

> > Anyone

> > does

> > this

It
> > is

> > end

get

> > Craigslist

Hard brake pedal when cold [email protected] VW water cooled 1 June 23rd 05 11:45 PM
hard to start curbrider Jeep 7 June 6th 05 02:11 AM
90 FORD F150 PICKUP STARTS HARD, THEN DIES websthes Technology 1 December 26th 04 10:39 PM
Assistance needed with Spider '91 hard top Dimitris Alfa Romeo 0 September 3rd 04 02:40 PM
Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156) Steven Spits Alfa Romeo 1 July 16th 04 12:02 PM