Do you back into your driveway?

Old July 18th 05, 06:49 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article . net>,
Skip Elliott Bowman > wrote:
>"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
>> In article .com>,
>> Ed Stasiak > wrote:
>>
>>>But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
>>>sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
>>>in my backyard.

>> You, in your backyard, are an eyesore. Maybe we can ban you?

>People have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their backyards, no
>matter what they look like. That's a lot different than using the
>right-of-way to store a land whale; you can't help but see that.

Right-of-way? I'm referring to restrictions on storing it on private
property, not on the street. Particularly restrictions based on
aesthetic concerns.
Old July 18th 05, 07:22 PM

John David Galt wrote:

> >> Rotten place to live.

> > Not at all, it keeps the city from looking like a storage
> > lot.

> Mere aesthetics are not proper cause for a law.

Oh, but it *is*. Property values mean something. And when they are
diminished by the action or inaction of others, there's legal cause.

Remember, we're not talkin' hi-falutin' philosophy here - this is about
*money.*

E.P.

Old July 19th 05, 06:54 PM
Robert Briggs

Don Phillipson wrote:
> Kevin Spencer wrote:
>
> > Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
> > unusual?

> This is usual in England although no rule mandates it.

That said, the Highway Code certainly recommends it:

177: Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When
using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/19.htm#177

In the thick end of seventeen years, I have driven forwards into
my drive:

to use a gate to check headlight alignment;

to get my working battery close enough to my neighbour's
flat one to use jump leads;

er ... I think that's about it.
Old July 19th 05, 07:01 PM
Robert Briggs

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> The ones who **** me off and crack me up at the same time are those who
> drive tiny cars *all the way into* parking spaces flanked on either side
> by much bigger cars. That's moronic; the smart way is to pull in only so
> far as to put the trailing end (whichever that be) of the small car more
> or less even with the outer extent of the parking space lines.

IMO, correct procedure in such circumstances is to "bury" your
"trailing end" a few inches into the row: enough that the big
boys take the risk of being hit by passing traffic, but not so
much as to obscure your presence.
Old July 19th 05, 07:16 PM
Robert Briggs

KLS wrote:
> Ed Stasiak wrote:
>
> > I've always understood that it was a state ordnance

> Perhaps you intended to use that last word, so if you did,
> your sentence is funny.

When I spotted the error in his previous post, I thought of:
"Praise the Lord! And pass the ammunition!"

> If, however, you intended to refer to a type of law, the
> spelling is "ordinance."

It's quite a common error, although (perhaps because one of
my regular haunts is rec.aviation.military) munitions seem
to be written up as edicts more than the other way round.
Old July 19th 05, 07:34 PM
Robert Briggs

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Kevin Spencer wrote:
>
> > I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
> > moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years)

> A few YEARS?

That doesn't seem particularly unusual: quite a few folk go
abroad for a few years (for work, as missionaries, etc.) and
want to return to their houses at the end.

There are also folk who spend significant periods away from
home "at Her Majesty's pleasure" - not that I have any reason
to suppose that the owner of Kevin's residence is in such a
position.
Old July 19th 05, 09:35 PM

I do the same, but my driveway's as straight as can be. It goes along
the side of my house to the rear-facing garage. Backing in or out would
be rather frightening since it's a 70+ feet long single car width with
a brick wall on one side, and a drop-off to the neighbors house on the
other.

Old July 20th 05, 12:32 AM
Jim Yanik

Robert Briggs > wrote in
:

> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>
>> The ones who **** me off and crack me up at the same time are those who
>> drive tiny cars *all the way into* parking spaces flanked on either side
>> by much bigger cars. That's moronic; the smart way is to pull in only so
>> far as to put the trailing end (whichever that be) of the small car more
>> or less even with the outer extent of the parking space lines.

> IMO, correct procedure in such circumstances is to "bury" your
> "trailing end" a few inches into the row: enough that the big
> boys take the risk of being hit by passing traffic, but not so
> much as to obscure your presence.

How do you know those folks didn't park "fully in" BEFORE the larger
vehicles parked next to them?

Besides,the way some people back out of their parking spaces and into other
cars,I'd definitely use the larger vehicles as protection from them.
If you're in as deep as you can,then they'll strike the other big vehicles
first. B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 20th 05, 04:19 AM
DTJ

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:49:48 -0500,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

>In article . net>,
>Skip Elliott Bowman > wrote:
>>"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message

>>> You, in your backyard, are an eyesore. Maybe we can ban you?

>>People have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their backyards, no
>>matter what they look like. That's a lot different than using the
>>right-of-way to store a land whale; you can't help but see that.

>Right-of-way? I'm referring to restrictions on storing it on private
>property, not on the street. Particularly restrictions based on
>aesthetic concerns.

Sorry Matt, but I disagree with you here. Although it depends on how
far they go.

For example, in an upscale neighborhood, parking a semi nearby is
illegal. Why should lower income people have to put up with this
****?

As to boats and RVs, I have mixed feelings. I have a neighbor who
violates the local laws all the time. He just moves his RV from one
street to the next (lives on a corner) and gets away with it. He is a
builder, and so the village won't enforce the law. Why should I have
to risk getting hit every time I drive by his house because he has a
40 foot camper parked at the stop sign on a curve?

What is the right answer, I don't know. I do know that boats belong
on water, not in a driveway in front of a house.