97 Explorer 5.0L V8 Idles rough

Old December 5th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Uncle Albert

Default 97 Explorer 5.0L V8 Idles rough

Hello All.

I tried to start my Explorer last night. The engine turned, but it didn't
start. I tried again. The engine didn't start either, but this time smoke
came from under the hood. It wasn't an electrical fire, but had the odor of
unburnt gas. I checked under the hood. Everything looked OK. The engine
started this time. After the engine rpm reached idle, the engine stumbles.
It's idling rough. It drives fines until I have to wait at a light. The
engine feels like it's about to quit. I also noticed a wheezing sound under
the hood. It could be a vaccum leak. I made it home from a 5km drive. It's
wet and cold outside. I'll have look at it in the morning.

I'll check any hose leaks. I'll also clean the MAF and the IAC.

Do you have any words of wisdom? Has anybody seen this before?

Thanks
Old December 5th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Roadie[_1_]

In article >, Uncle
Albert > wrote:

> Hello All.
>
> I tried to start my Explorer last night. The engine turned, but it didn't
> start. I tried again. The engine didn't start either, but this time smoke
> came from under the hood. It wasn't an electrical fire, but had the odor of
> unburnt gas. I checked under the hood. Everything looked OK. The engine
> started this time. After the engine rpm reached idle, the engine stumbles.
> It's idling rough. It drives fines until I have to wait at a light. The
> engine feels like it's about to quit. I also noticed a wheezing sound under
> the hood. It could be a vaccum leak. I made it home from a 5km drive. It's
> wet and cold outside. I'll have look at it in the morning.
>
> I'll check any hose leaks. I'll also clean the MAF and the IAC.
>
> Do you have any words of wisdom? Has anybody seen this before?

Do a good cleaning of the throttle body too.
Old December 7th 06, 07:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert > wrote in
.211:

> Hello All.
>
> I tried to start my Explorer last night. The engine turned, but it
> didn't start. I tried again. The engine didn't start either, but this
> time smoke came from under the hood. It wasn't an electrical fire, but
> had the odor of unburnt gas. I checked under the hood. Everything
> looked OK. The engine started this time. After the engine rpm reached
> idle, the engine stumbles. It's idling rough. It drives fines until I
> have to wait at a light. The engine feels like it's about to quit. I
> also noticed a wheezing sound under the hood. It could be a vaccum
> leak. I made it home from a 5km drive. It's wet and cold outside. I'll
> have look at it in the morning.
>
> I'll check any hose leaks. I'll also clean the MAF and the IAC.
>
> Do you have any words of wisdom? Has anybody seen this before?
>
> Thanks

Here is an update.

Cleaned the MAF and IAC...no changes.

Replaced Air filter and IAC...no changes.

Checked for vacuum leaks. I didn't see any, but the V8 is bear to work
around. I can't be certain there isn't any leaks. The Check engine lit
hasn't come on yet. The engine runs very rough. It will stall unless I
add gas.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am just about ready to tow it
to the shop.

Old December 7th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
flies4fun

had to replace my IAC when this happened on 96 V8 AWD

.211...

Old December 23rd 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Uncle Albert

Here is an update.

I had it towed to the shop.

The guys spent 3 hours working on it. The computer spilled out all sorts
of trouble codes, but the Check engine light never came on. The codes call
for a lean mixture. The problem was the Mass Air Flow. There was no
signal out. They replaced it and the engine ran smooth enough to hear the
source of the vacuum leak. A plug was blown off. There was a recall on
the V8 for the removal of the PCV system because it could freeze in
extremely cold weather. The PCV was bypassed. I think that's what the
plug was for.

Anyways, it's running fine now. It did cost me $600 for the repair. Three
hours shop time at $300. $250 for the MAF plus taxes and shop supplies.
That's quite a mark up on the MAF. I could have bought one from NAPA for
$120. Oh well. I am glad to have the Explorer back.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

After this episode, I like to get a code scanner for the vehicle. I am
thinking of the Elm5 from scantools. Do Anybody have any experience or
recommendations for a code scanner?