starting problems

Old October 16th 04, 05:01 PM
sandra312

Default starting problems

Our '96 Voyager has an inconsistent starting problem. When the key is
turned, all you hear is a "click." The only way to start the van is to
jiggle the gear shift repeatedly, or sometimes try to start while in
neutral. Was told that this may be a problem with the neutral safety
switch or some such creature. Can we try to fix this ourselves?

Old October 16th 04, 10:06 PM
maxpower

you dont specify what engine, but if i was to guess i would say the 3.3 and
you dont specify the mileage, once again i would guess at least 60k and then
i would guess again and bet you that the starter contacts are bad,,replace
the starter
lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 16th 04, 10:06 PM
maxpower

you dont specify what engine, but if i was to guess i would say the 3.3 and
you dont specify the mileage, once again i would guess at least 60k and then
i would guess again and bet you that the starter contacts are bad,,replace
the starter
lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 17th 04, 03:35 AM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:06:53 -0400, "maxpower" >
wrote:

>you dont specify what engine, but if i was to guess i would say the 3.3 and
>you dont specify the mileage, once again i would guess at least 60k and then
>i would guess again and bet you that the starter contacts are bad,,replace
>the starter
>"sandra312" > wrote in message
alkaboutautos.com...
>> Our '96 Voyager has an inconsistent starting problem. When the key is
>> turned, all you hear is a "click." The only way to start the van is to
>> jiggle the gear shift repeatedly, or sometimes try to start while in
>> neutral. Was told that this may be a problem with the neutral safety
>> switch or some such creature. Can we try to fix this ourselves?

Given the symptoms, I'd be starting with the Nuetral Safety switch. If
it was the starter contacts, wiggling the shifter or using nuetral
would have no effect.
High resistance in the switch will often allow a solenoid to pull in
ALMOST far enough to crank the engine.
Chrysler used to get around this problem by using both a starter
relay and an integrated starter solenoid - so the starter switch only
had to handle the trip currrent of the relay. I've installed lots of
Chryco starter relays on vehicles as varied as Austins, Toyotas, and
Volkswagens to solve similar problems .

Usual scenario is the vehicle won't crank when warm - but
occaisionally they also misbehave hot.

Definitive test is voltmeter between solenoid control terminal and
ground. If less than battery voltage when in the crank position and
not cranking, suspect the switch.
Old October 17th 04, 03:35 AM

wrote:

>you dont specify what engine, but if i was to guess i would say the 3.3 and
>you dont specify the mileage, once again i would guess at least 60k and then
>i would guess again and bet you that the starter contacts are bad,,replace
>the starter
alkaboutautos.com...

Old October 17th 04, 12:48 PM
maxpower

replace the starter and be on your way, not relay, not neutral saftey
switch, replace the starter
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech

Old October 17th 04, 12:48 PM
maxpower

Old October 17th 04, 03:53 PM
mic canic

starter, starter relay, bad ing. switch,bad wiring from the battery to the
starter
or battery issues

Old October 17th 04, 03:53 PM
mic canic

Old October 19th 04, 05:11 PM
Bob Shuman

I agree it is the starter! If you are mechanically inclined, you can get
away with replacing just the starter solenoid contacts. I've done this
several times on many different Chrysler vehicles. Here is a web site that
provides nice procedure and pictures and also can provide the contacts
themselves for $5.00 each (you need a pair of them and they are different).

http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

Bob