New tank: water still not cloudy in 6 days...bad?

Old November 21st 03, 04:46 PM
Anonymous

Default New tank: water still not cloudy in 6 days...bad?

New tank setting question:

Just set up a 29-gallon tank.
=================
Setting & Cycling:

Use 3 gold fish and one 3-spot gourami to start the cycle. 1 day
later add 3 danio zebras.

It's been 6 days so far and the water is still crystal clear. Is it bad
and tend to a longer cycle time? I can see the fish are happy roaming
about and eating good (twice a day, got eaten within 2-3 min).

It's a 36"x11"x17" (29 Gallon) tank,

Fluval 103 filter (Output 390L(86gal) per hour) with water outlet under
water and the current upside disturbing the surface for aeration. (love
it, so quiet, can sleep 5 feet away from my head).

Hagen Optima air pump with 1 air stone and one 14" air curtain. turned
on for 1-2 hours a day, not always on because of the noise.

One 50W heater set to 74F (23C) but always off because the room is
always 74F and the water is always 76-78F (why water is hoter? Maybe
from lighting). Keep it in just in case.

Normal water washed round pebble gravel, 25lbs. 5mm-8mm size.
=======================
Lightly planted, 2-3 small plant.

1 Anubias barteri (spade-like leave, slow growth, tolerate low light)
2 Ophiopogon japonicus 'Kyoto Dwarf'(slow growth, medium light)

Tend to use low-medium light and don't use a top-cover, instead a mesh
to keep air circulated.
=======================
Tend to introduce later:

1-2 pearl gourami (love it, but the existing female 3-spot is an
aggressive one, already chased a smaller male out of tank, well, I took
it out .
2 sunset gouramis.
2 dowarf gouramis.

4 platies (yellow micky mouse or red-all platy)

2-4 Cory cats. (Albino or green or whatever I can get from LFS)

1 clown loach (afraid of its uprooting habit)

Maybe more plant, low light pro.
=======================

So, anyone see ploblem about the setting, just shout...

(Maybe if I get all the fish, it will be a over-populated tank? As gold
fish seem happy in the tank, I may keep them in after the cycling )

Hope you enjoy helping ...

--
Layne
Old November 21st 03, 05:05 PM
Anonymous

The Fluval 103 may be output at 103GPH, it's a 110v US model. 86GPH
output is a 220v model I found at web.

--
Layne

Old November 21st 03, 05:35 PM
RedForeman

midposted

"Anonymous" Nobody wrote in message

New tank setting question:

Just set up a 29-gallon tank.
=================
Setting & Cycling:

Use 3 gold fish and one 3-spot gourami to start the cycle. 1 day
later add 3 danio zebras.

It's been 6 days so far and the water is still crystal clear. Is it bad
and tend to a longer cycle time? I can see the fish are happy roaming
about and eating good (twice a day, got eaten within 2-3 min).

It's a 36"x11"x17" (29 Gallon) tank,

Fluval 103 filter (Output 390L(86gal) per hour) with water outlet under
water and the current upside disturbing the surface for aeration. (love
it, so quiet, can sleep 5 feet away from my head).

Hagen Optima air pump with 1 air stone and one 14" air curtain. turned
on for 1-2 hours a day, not always on because of the noise.

That's alot of bubbles in a 29g, I too had a curtain, eventually took it
out.. aesthetics...

One 50W heater set to 74F (23C) but always off because the room is
always 74F and the water is always 76-78F (why water is hoter? Maybe
from lighting). Keep it in just in case.

Yes the lights can and usually do help keep the water warmer...

Normal water washed round pebble gravel, 25lbs. 5mm-8mm size.
=======================
Lightly planted, 2-3 small plant.

1 Anubias barteri (spade-like leave, slow growth, tolerate low light)
2 Ophiopogon japonicus 'Kyoto Dwarf'(slow growth, medium light)

Think about some crypts, wenditti, red/green, and others.. they'll be a nice
contrast color against the green... Anachris, Horwort, MoneyWort, Wisteria,
Sunset Hygro, many others.

Tend to use low-medium light and don't use a top-cover, instead a mesh
to keep air circulated.

That's certainly interesting.... where are your lights and how much lighting
do you have???

=======================
Tend to introduce later:

1-2 pearl gourami (love it, but the existing female 3-spot is an
aggressive one, already chased a smaller male out of tank, well, I took
it out .
2 sunset gouramis.
2 dowarf gouramis.

4 platies (yellow micky mouse or red-all platy)

2-4 Cory cats. (Albino or green or whatever I can get from LFS)

1 clown loach (afraid of its uprooting habit)

Sounds good, and I really wouldn't worry about a CL's uprooting habits, not
likely... a pl*co will uproot stuff more than a clown...

And you don't mention any algae grazers.... Advice, DON'T get a common
pl*co.... get a dwarf bristlenose, or rubber lipped, or a similar DWARF
pl*co.... very important...commons lose interest in algae, the grow to 16"
in some cases... I've got a 13" common in my 29 and it uproots stuff, my 2
clown loaches have NEVER uprooted anything, although, they are known to eat
the bloom off my anubias, nana and barteri....

Maybe more plant, low light pro.
=======================

So, anyone see ploblem about the setting, just shout...

(Maybe if I get all the fish, it will be a over-populated tank? As gold
fish seem happy in the tank, I may keep them in after the cycling )

You're well on your way, but consider finding a new home for the goldfish,
they are dirty, poop alot, and can really make a mess of a plant...

Keep reading... you'll be amazed at how this hobby can become so much
fun....

Old November 21st 03, 05:59 PM
Anonymous

That's alot of bubbles in a 29g, I too had a curtain, eventually took

it out.. aesthetics...

Yeah, I love bubbles except the noise of the pump, not the bubbles. As
I have goldfish in now, I guess more aeration is better.
=======================
Lightly planted, 2-3 small plant.

1 Anubias barteri (spade-like leave, slow growth, tolerate low

light)
2 Ophiopogon japonicus 'Kyoto Dwarf'(slow growth, medium

light)[/color]

Think about some crypts, wenditti, red/green, and others.. they'll be

a nice contrast color against the green... Anachris, Horwort,
MoneyWort, Wisteria, Sunset Hygro, many others.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will dig into LFS see what they
got...hoho...except I don't intend to keep it planted intensely for now
because of the lighting, lack of CO2 and inexperienced me.

Tend to use low-medium light and don't use a top-cover, instead a

mesh
to keep air circulated.

That's certainly interesting.... where are your lights and how much

lighting do you have???

one 60w incandescent bulb of floor lamp and one 20w Fluorescent light
hanging over the tank above the mesh (come later)

As of algae eater, Yeah, I don't intend to get Pleco so I'm now still
thinking what should I get. I heard that "Chinese butterfly fish" is a
very good algae eater and stays small. But...it's cold water riverband
fish.

Slow-growing plant tend to have algae over leaves under low light? I
will have to go deep into this later then. So far, no algae in sight,
yet.

Thanks for your reply.

--
Layne
Old November 21st 03, 06:31 PM
Peter Gennaro

Go down to the fish store on water change day and get as many gallons as you
can drag home. If their fish look healthy that is....

"Anonymous" Nobody wrote in message

The Fluval 103 may be output at 103GPH, it's a 110v US model. 86GPH
output is a 220v model I found at web.

--
Layne

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old November 22nd 03, 11:29 PM
NetMax

"Anonymous" Nobody wrote in message

New tank setting question:

Just set up a 29-gallon tank.
=================
Setting & Cycling:

Use 3 gold fish and one 3-spot gourami to start the cycle. 1 day
later add 3 danio zebras.

A very unusual mixture of fish.

It's been 6 days so far and the water is still crystal clear. Is it bad
and tend to a longer cycle time? I can see the fish are happy roaming
about and eating good (twice a day, got eaten within 2-3 min).

Ammonia and nitrites at toxic levels can be completely transparent. Fish
are usually pretty oblivious to a bacterial bloom or an algae bloom
(cloudy water). Who told you water clarity had anything to do with water
quality??? Test your ammonia and get ready to start doing 30% water
changes,

It's a 36"x11"x17" (29 Gallon) tank,

Fluval 103 filter (Output 390L(86gal) per hour) with water outlet under
water and the current upside disturbing the surface for aeration. (love
it, so quiet, can sleep 5 feet away from my head).

Hagen Optima air pump with 1 air stone and one 14" air curtain. turned
on for 1-2 hours a day, not always on because of the noise.

The novelty will probably wear off. Hopefully soon, from the fish's
prespective. They can get used to constant noise (like when we use white
noise which masks other noises), or to no noise, but bouncing the noise
levels around is a bit stressful on a fish. Remember that they do much
of their navigation by a 'sonar' system consisting of measuring tiny
vibrations along their lateral line (a line of special scales from their
head to their tail). Now imagine alternating between the turbulence of a
bubble wand to the deafening silence when it turns off. jmo

One 50W heater set to 74F (23C) but always off because the room is
always 74F and the water is always 76-78F (why water is hoter? Maybe
from lighting). Keep it in just in case.

Standard heater for a 29g is 150W. If your ambient ever gets cool, your
heater might not be able to keep up. Aquariums can run a few degrees
warmer than the ambient. Your filter motor, lights and ballast will all
warm the water slightly.

[...]

The goldfish aren't particulary good tank-mates for tropical fish. Zebra
danios grow to about 3" and Goldfish, 8" and they like to put everything
in their mouths ;~) They also prefer cooler water and they generate more
waste. ymmv

have fun
NetMax

Hope you enjoy helping ...

--
Layne

News==----

Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

Moving aquarium? Ricky General 5 December 9th 03 10:21 AM
No Better RO/DI Anywhere!!! Pat Hogan General 0 November 14th 03 06:57 PM
Cloudy water after water change Ron Nelson General 18 July 20th 03 09:36 PM
Cloudy water after water change Jody Pellerin Plants 0 July 15th 03 01:09 AM
Alkalinity problems? D&M General 5 July 15th 03 12:48 AM