Speaker Rethink

Old September 14th 04, 03:10 AM
teem

Default Speaker Rethink

Looked at my rear speakers &(of course) found out they were of the paper
coned type,so,think I will replace them w/more ballsie type,probably the
doors too.

Old September 14th 04, 10:19 PM
marx404

Sony Xplodes fit in and sound nicely.

marx404

Old September 15th 04, 03:59 AM
Dennis

"teem" > wrote in message >...
> Looked at my rear speakers &(of course) found out they were of the paper
> coned type,so,think I will replace them w/more ballsie type,probably the
> doors too.

I'm interested in doing the same thing--I have a '97 SC2, but in order
to do the speakers in the doors, the whole inside trim has to come
off--why didn't they put removable grills over the speakers???????

Anyway, according to my Haynes manual, taking off the inside trim
isn't too bad a job, but I've been fooled before by these manuals.

For anybody's who has done the door speakers, how tough is it take off
and replace the interior trim?

Thanks for any info.
Old September 15th 04, 01:32 PM
Wurm

"Dennis" > wrote in message
om...
> "teem" > wrote in message

> > Looked at my rear speakers &(of course) found out they were of the paper
> > coned type,so,think I will replace them w/more ballsie type,probably the
> > doors too.

> I'm interested in doing the same thing--I have a '97 SC2, but in order
> to do the speakers in the doors, the whole inside trim has to come
> off--why didn't they put removable grills over the speakers???????
>
> Anyway, according to my Haynes manual, taking off the inside trim
> isn't too bad a job, but I've been fooled before by these manuals.
>
> For anybody's who has done the door speakers, how tough is it take off
> and replace the interior trim?
>
> Thanks for any info.

I've never done it myself, but had a guy at FutureShop install my door
speakers for me while I watched. He did a good job, didnt have too many
problems but mentioned on a few occasions that saturns are a bitch to remove
if you have non-power windows (I have a 98 SL2).

Speakers sound awesome now though, the stock ones were pretty unimpressive
(just like the garbage radio / tape player that came stock).

Old September 17th 04, 02:43 AM
teem

Where's a good place to get the better speakers?,Best Buys?,stores like
that?.You saying the cd /cassette radio aren't a top player in the
Saturns?,I think it's alright,I'm getting used to that pop/c&w/flat/rock
settings.Thanks for the info any way! tim.

Old September 17th 04, 01:51 PM
Wurm

"teem" > wrote in message
om...
> Where's a good place to get the better speakers?,Best Buys?,stores like
> that?.You saying the cd /cassette radio aren't a top player in the
> Saturns?,I think it's alright,I'm getting used to that pop/c&w/flat/rock
> settings.Thanks for the info any way! tim.

Well, I was very happy with the service at Future Shop, which I believe is
the Canadian equivalent of Best Buy. I also listen to very heavy / distorted
/ fast music, and I was really unhappy with the sound I was getting when I
first got my car so right away I replaced the stereo with a Pioneer CD
player, and the difference it made was incredible. Even the little paper
speakers sounded ten times better with a real system driving them. I only
replaced my speakers when I blew my stock ones. As for the speakers, since
there was only about a 75 dollar difference between the regular ones and the
almost-best ones they had in stock, I opted for the nicer onces and its been
a year and I still havent blown them (cross my fingers)

Old September 19th 04, 01:45 AM
teem

I'm not replacing the radio & speakers,christ!,you have to learn to live
with some imperfection,never relised music was so "divided" with sound.

Old September 20th 04, 02:11 PM
Wurm

"teem" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm not replacing the radio & speakers,christ!,you have to learn to live
> with some imperfection,never relised music was so "divided" with sound.

Chill dude, just giving you some input. Some of us dont mind paying a few
extra bucks for good quality audio in their car. I put a total of 500 can
into it, and the difference is night and day