98 Dodge Stratus - Leaking Head Gasket, Worth Fixing?

Old October 25th 04, 02:19 PM
MP- Philly

Default 98 Dodge Stratus - Leaking Head Gasket, Worth Fixing?

I have a 98 Dodge Stratus, with the 2.4 DOHC engine. It has about 73K
miles on it. I've been told by the dealer that my head gasket is
leaking. The estimate for repair is $700 - $1000. Is it worth fixing?
At 73K miles, if I fix this, will there be any other big repairs
waiting in the wings? Or should this be the last of it? Is it
reasonable to expect to get another year out of this car?

I don't understand how the head gasket can go, as the car has never
over heated the entire 6 years I had her. And I've always kept up with
recommended maintenance with the vehicle.

On another note, I must admit that my experience with this Stratus
precludes me from ever buying another Dodge vehicle. Has Chrysler
cleaned up its act since Daimler bought them out? I'd like to still
buy American, but if I have to buy an import I will.
Old October 25th 04, 08:11 PM
Roger Sircar

These engines had a manufacturing defects with the head gaskets. Chrysler
knows it, because they had issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to
their dealers about it. HOWEVER they are too damm cheap to fix it for their
consumers by way of a recall. I suggest youcall Chrysler headquarters and
complain LOUDLY and may be they will have their dealer fix it for no charge
or share the cost with you.

This is the problem with American cars! Poort quality compared to european
or Japanese.
om...

Old October 25th 04, 08:11 PM
Roger Sircar

These engines had a manufacturing defects with the head gaskets. Chrysler
knows it, because they had issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to
their dealers about it. HOWEVER they are too damm cheap to fix it for their
consumers by way of a recall. I suggest youcall Chrysler headquarters and
complain LOUDLY and may be they will have their dealer fix it for no charge
or share the cost with you.

This is the problem with American cars! Poort quality compared to european
or Japanese.
om...

Old October 25th 04, 09:03 PM
Kirk Matheson

(MP- Philly) wrote in message . com>...
> I have a 98 Dodge Stratus, with the 2.4 DOHC engine. It has about 73K
> miles on it. I've been told by the dealer that my head gasket is
> leaking. The estimate for repair is $700 - $1000. Is it worth fixing?
> At 73K miles, if I fix this, will there be any other big repairs
> waiting in the wings? Or should this be the last of it? Is it
> reasonable to expect to get another year out of this car?
>
> I don't understand how the head gasket can go, as the car has never
> over heated the entire 6 years I had her. And I've always kept up with
> recommended maintenance with the vehicle.
>
> On another note, I must admit that my experience with this Stratus
> precludes me from ever buying another Dodge vehicle. Has Chrysler
> cleaned up its act since Daimler bought them out? I'd like to still
> buy American, but if I have to buy an import I will.

My 1998 Stratus did the same thing at 53,000 mi. This was a common
problem with the 2.0 and 2.4 litre engines until an updated
multi-layered steel (MLS) gasket was introduced midway though the 1999
model year. I decided to have mine fixed, since the car was in good
shape otherwise. I also figured that the car would have diminished
resale value with a blown gasket.

If you decide to have it repaired, make certain that the shop uses the
correct Chrysler made gasket with the recommended sealer. The price
they quoted you is consistent with what I paid. It is a labor
intensive procedure.

I bought my Stratus when it was a year old. I purchased a third-party
extended warranty that covered most of the repair costs.

According to a Chrysler repair tech that I spoke with, the new gasket
will solve the problem so long as the surfaces are properly cleaned,
and the gasket is installed according to the instructions supplied
with the gasket.

-Kirk Matheson
Old October 25th 04, 09:03 PM
Kirk Matheson

Old October 25th 04, 09:13 PM
maxpower

Contact Chrysler and see if they will give you any assisstance in the
repair, that head gasket had been updated due to servere oil leaks
om...

Old October 25th 04, 09:13 PM
maxpower

Contact Chrysler and see if they will give you any assisstance in the
repair, that head gasket had been updated due to servere oil leaks
om...

Old October 25th 04, 10:58 PM
SRG

Again, Recalls are for SAFETY issues, not defects in the car.

> This is the problem with American cars! Poort quality compared to european
> or Japanese.

My 87 Plymouth Reliant never had a blown head gasket, (got wrecked at 12 yrs
old, 150 k miles on it) but I remember my friend's Toyota truck having one.

Chrysler did have a head gasket problem with the 95 to 98 1/2, 2.0 and 2.4 L
engines. Neons, Breezes, Stratus's all had the problem. Lots of people
were able to get it fixed with Chrysler footing the bill for all or most of
the costs, it they had 80 to 100k miles or less on the car. Sometimes
Chrysler refused to help at all-- it seemed to be whatever dealer you went
to and how they felt that day.
It doesn't cost anything to ask, but for a 6 year old car, I'd be surprised
if Chrysler helped out much.

Good Luck
SRG

Old October 25th 04, 10:58 PM
SRG

Old October 25th 04, 11:19 PM
Roger Sircar

My brother sold his Toyota Tercel with over 200K miles to a mechanic. It did
NOT burn any oil either.

My fatherinlaw is still driving his 1990 Toyota Camry without any problems.

BUT my wifes Voyager gave out after 40K miles same head gasket problem.

If I had a choice, I would stay away from American cars especially Chrysler
products.. The quality is just NOT the same as Japanese and European. Though
price/features is great compared to them.
news

Head Gasket Leak? maxpower Chrysler 4 October 11th 04 03:00 PM
Head Gasket Leak? Mandrake Chrysler 0 October 10th 04 10:16 PM
Dodge 2.5L eats another head (and how long is the bottom end good for) Bob Fourney Dodge 6 August 28th 04 01:07 AM
Head Gasket 98 Neon? Simon Cooke Dodge 6 July 29th 04 12:49 PM