Problems! 2000 Caravan Sport and Infinity Sound

Old October 16th 04, 10:25 PM
Snydley

I got a website http://www.pac-audio.com/oem1kits/oem1search.htm from
someone who replied earlier, did a little research on that site and it said
that if you have sound in the front, but nothing in the rear you need to
turn on the rear amps. Looking over the connections again, I found one wire
from the harness, and from the receiver that weren't being used, turns out
they were the amp "on" wire on the harness, and the power antenna/remote
turn on wire on the receiver. I connected them together without a relay, and
it works ok, UNTIL I turn it up real loud, or have too much bass in the
sound, then the rear channels drop in and out, until I lower the volume.
Maybe the amp is getting too "hot" a signal and causes it to drop out? I
guess I can use it like that for now, until I can get some new speakers in
the back.

Thanks to all!!,
Snydley

"mic canic" > wrote in message
> you can use the stock speakers with amps you just have to power up the

amps
> using a relay and getting it's trigger from the remote turn on wire off

the
> aftermarket radio
>
> Snydley wrote:
>
> > I removed the Infinity CD/Tape/Radio unit from my 2000 Caravan because

the
> > CD player no longer works and I am attempting to replace it with an
> > aftermarket unit. I bought a dash adapter and wiring kit so I wouldn't

have
> > to cut/splice any of the wires.
> > Now that I have it installed the rear speakers won't work. Wanting to

rule
> > out bad rear channels in the receiver, I swapped the front and rear

speaker
> > connections. The front speakers still work using the rear channels of

the
> > receiver, so I know the receiver is ok, and it must be something with

the
> > wiring. I tried to get continuity with my V/Ohm meter and couldn't get

any
> > with the rear speakers.
> > As a last ditch effort, I went to the local Mopar garage and told the

guy at
> > the service counter my story and he told me that "you can put an

Infinity
> > receiver in a non-Infinity vehicle, but you can't put an aftermarket

radio
> > in an Infinity equipped vehicle without replacing the speakers. Each

speaker
> > has it's own amp on the back of it". By that I figured he meant a diode

or
> > transformer of some kind.
> > Is there any way I can use the stock speakers? Remove the

diode/transformer

Old October 17th 04, 04:01 PM
mic canic

most after market radios have a pre amp in them bumping up wattage to say 50
watts per channel and then when u try to run that signal into another amp a
thing called clipping occurs and the speaker cuts out . it's a megahertz thing
u can't amplify a signal twice

Old October 17th 04, 04:01 PM
mic canic

Old October 17th 04, 08:07 PM
Dan C

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:01:27 +0000, mic canic wrote:

> most after market radios have a pre amp in them bumping up wattage to say 50
> watts per channel and then when u try to run that signal into another amp a
> thing called clipping occurs and the speaker cuts out . it's a megahertz thing
> u can't amplify a signal twice

Well, the intent of your message is correct, although the technical
accuracy is not... You most certainly can amplify a signal twice (or even
50 times). It's not a "megahertz thing" at all - clipping is caused by
overdriving an amplifier's input capability, based largely on the biasing
of said amplifier.

Linux Registered User #327951

Old October 17th 04, 08:07 PM
Dan C

Old October 17th 04, 08:32 PM
Matt Whiting

mic canic wrote:

> most after market radios have a pre amp in them bumping up wattage to say 50
> watts per channel and then when u try to run that signal into another amp a
> thing called clipping occurs and the speaker cuts out . it's a megahertz thing
> u can't amplify a signal twice

ROTFL. This statement is hilarious. You can amplify a signal as many
times as you want. Multiple stage amps are very common. "It's a
megahertz thing," now that is a classic.

Matt

Old October 17th 04, 08:32 PM
Matt Whiting

Old October 20th 04, 01:39 AM
mic canic

when you use a scope and amp the signal twice you cut off the freq at the top of
the wave hence the word clipping and you can watch it on a scope it becomes a
stright line then drops bac down
doubt my words try hooking up a eq after a 2 channel high power radio has been
installed and use all high level wires to hook it up

Old October 20th 04, 01:39 AM
mic canic

Old October 20th 04, 01:58 AM
Matt Whiting

mic canic wrote:

> when you use a scope and amp the signal twice you cut off the freq at the top of
> the wave hence the word clipping and you can watch it on a scope it becomes a
> stright line then drops bac down
> doubt my words try hooking up a eq after a 2 channel high power radio has been
> installed and use all high level wires to hook it up

Only if you are overdriving one of the amps. Keep within the capability
of the amp and you can cascade several before distortion becomes a
significant factor.

Matt