'93 F-150 - possible alternator problem?

Old February 5th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default '93 F-150 - possible alternator problem?

hi all

had alt. replaced in '93 F-150 a while back... stopped charging on way
home from work one day. just more recently I noticed slow starting when
cold so had battery replaced. Today I had to drive the truck in a cold
rain so I had lights, wipers, defrost, etc. on. At idle in gear volt
gauge would drop to about "O" in "NORMAL" where it usually sits between
"M" and "A" (sorry, no voltage readings - didn't have meter with me.)
Should I be worried, or is this normal? I have to say I don't
particularly like it, as stop and go traffic is not particularly
uncommon around here (DC-land.) If it's NOT normal, where can I get a
GOOD alternator?

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old February 5th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
hls

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message I have to say I don't
> particularly like it, as stop and go traffic is not particularly uncommon
> around here (DC-land.) If it's NOT normal, where can I get a GOOD
> alternator?
>
> thanks

Nate, it may or may not be normal. If you have a good alternator/starter
shop where you live, that is where I would take it. They can test the
whole system.

I have had a lot betterluck with getting starters there than at most FLAPS.

In fact, I have had some brand new GM starters that didnt last worth
a darn.

Old February 5th 11, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> hi all
>
> had alt. replaced in '93 F-150 a while back... stopped charging on way
> home from work one day. just more recently I noticed slow starting when
> cold so had battery replaced. Today I had to drive the truck in a cold
> rain so I had lights, wipers, defrost, etc. on. At idle in gear volt
> gauge would drop to about "O" in "NORMAL" where it usually sits between
> "M" and "A" (sorry, no voltage readings - didn't have meter with me.)
> Should I be worried, or is this normal? I have to say I don't
> particularly like it, as stop and go traffic is not particularly uncommon
> around here (DC-land.) If it's NOT normal, where can I get a GOOD
> alternator?
>
> thanks
>
> nate

Given the sub-zero temps and 45 ft of snow on the roof of your house, I'd
consider anything that runs to be normal. Wait until good weather before you
get too worked up. I suspect that in good weather, the problem will go away.

Old February 5th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 02/05/2011 04:13 PM, hls wrote:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message I have to say I don't
>> particularly like it, as stop and go traffic is not particularly
>> uncommon around here (DC-land.) If it's NOT normal, where can I get a
>> GOOD alternator?
>>
>> thanks

> Nate, it may or may not be normal. If you have a good alternator/starter
> shop where you live, that is where I would take it. They can test the
> whole system.
>
> I have had a lot betterluck with getting starters there than at most FLAPS.
>
> In fact, I have had some brand new GM starters that didnt last worth
> a darn.

that's the problem, closest auto electric specialty place I know of is
50 miles away, next closest about 70, and while I've had mostly good
luck with the one 70 miles away (used to live near there) the Delco 10SI
in my Studebaker which I had them rebuild for me rather than going with
a parts store reman (which was kind of dumb, because they're super
cheap, and I paid close to $300 to theoretically have it "done right."
Next time I will mail order a kit and do it myself, now that I know the
windings are OK) exhibits the same behavior. In that case I'm not 100%
sure if it's a pulley mismatch or an actual fault with the alternator
though.

I did have the same behavior with the original F*rd alternator on the
truck and when I took it to my FLAPS (not auto electric shop, but an
independent FLAPS that has since become a NAPA) to have it tested they
said to run it and not worry... and it died maybe 4K miles later :/

I am just kinda paranoid as the truck is almost 20 years old and I don't
want to get stranded somewhere... I try to keep everything in top shape
and repair/replace anything questionable immediately, but then I run
into stuff like this... I have also cleaned/greased all accessable
underhood electrical connections prior to alternator/battery
replacement. Not about to give up on it unless something really
tempting comes along as the A/C still works, and it has fairly new (all
within last 10K miles) brakes, shocks, tires, alternator, battery, fan
clutch, wiper motor etc. and I also changed all fluids except for
coolant (PO had just had it flushed) and P/S (been meaning to do that
but haven't yet) in the same period. Only has 145K miles on it now...

nate

Old February 5th 11, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
Tegger[_3_]

Nate Nagel > wrote in news:iik7ol02km1
@news7.newsguy.com:

> hi all
>
> had alt. replaced in '93 F-150 a while back... stopped charging on way
> home from work one day. just more recently I noticed slow starting when
> cold so had battery replaced. Today I had to drive the truck in a cold
> rain so I had lights, wipers, defrost, etc. on. At idle in gear volt
> gauge would drop to about "O" in "NORMAL" where it usually sits between
> "M" and "A" (sorry, no voltage readings - didn't have meter with me.)
> Should I be worried, or is this normal? I have to say I don't
> particularly like it, as stop and go traffic is not particularly
> uncommon around here (DC-land.) If it's NOT normal, where can I get a
> GOOD alternator?

My first approach would be to put a digital voltmeter across the battery
terminals with the engine running. Have you done this?

Park the truck pointing at a wall or someplace where you can easily see the
headlight beams. Rev the enngine. Do the lights get brighter as the revs
rise, then dim as they drop back to idle? Try this with the accessories off
and on.

--
Tegger
Old February 5th 11, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> Nate Nagel > wrote in news:iik7ol02km1
> @news7.newsguy.com:
>
>> hi all
>>
>> had alt. replaced in '93 F-150 a while back... stopped charging on way
>> home from work one day. just more recently I noticed slow starting when
>> cold so had battery replaced. Today I had to drive the truck in a cold
>> rain so I had lights, wipers, defrost, etc. on. At idle in gear volt
>> gauge would drop to about "O" in "NORMAL" where it usually sits between
>> "M" and "A" (sorry, no voltage readings - didn't have meter with me.)
>> Should I be worried, or is this normal? I have to say I don't
>> particularly like it, as stop and go traffic is not particularly
>> uncommon around here (DC-land.) If it's NOT normal, where can I get a
>> GOOD alternator?
>>

> My first approach would be to put a digital voltmeter across the battery
> terminals with the engine running. Have you done this?
>
> Park the truck pointing at a wall or someplace where you can easily see
> the
> headlight beams. Rev the enngine. Do the lights get brighter as the revs
> rise, then dim as they drop back to idle? Try this with the accessories
> off
> and on.
>
> --

If true, what does it mean?

I think the OP is buried under umpteen feet of snow in a climate that is a
bazzilion degrees below what it takes to sustain life, and his electrical
system is simply showing the strains of the environment. For lack of a
better term, he needs to chill out.

Old February 5th 11, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
jim

Tegger wrote:

> Park the truck pointing at a wall or someplace where you can easily see the
> headlight beams. Rev the enngine. Do the lights get brighter as the revs
> rise, then dim as they drop back to idle? Try this with the accessories off
> and on.

That isn't going to tell him anything he doesn't already know. The
lights will get brighter and dimmer. The gauge has already indicated
that the voltage is changing some. The question is that because the
alternator is weak or is the defroster and wiper motors or some other
load drawing more than usual. Does it have fog lamps? Is the idle lower
than normal?

Unless it is a heavy duty alternator these things only put out about
25-30 amps at normal idle speed.

-jim
Old February 6th 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 02/05/2011 05:35 PM, Tegger wrote:
> Nate > wrote in news:iik7ol02km1
> @news7.newsguy.com:
>
>> hi all
>>
>> had alt. replaced in '93 F-150 a while back... stopped charging on way
>> home from work one day. just more recently I noticed slow starting when
>> cold so had battery replaced. Today I had to drive the truck in a cold
>> rain so I had lights, wipers, defrost, etc. on. At idle in gear volt
>> gauge would drop to about "O" in "NORMAL" where it usually sits between
>> "M" and "A" (sorry, no voltage readings - didn't have meter with me.)
>> Should I be worried, or is this normal? I have to say I don't
>> particularly like it, as stop and go traffic is not particularly
>> uncommon around here (DC-land.) If it's NOT normal, where can I get a
>> GOOD alternator?
>>

> My first approach would be to put a digital voltmeter across the battery
> terminals with the engine running. Have you done this?

Not today, it was about 30 degrees and raining and I had stuff that
needed to be moved. Normally I would have...

> Park the truck pointing at a wall or someplace where you can easily see the
> headlight beams. Rev the enngine. Do the lights get brighter as the revs
> rise, then dim as they drop back to idle? Try this with the accessories off
> and on.

accessories off I don't think it's dropping off much, but acc's on they
seem to. Idle in Drive is about 600-700 RPM if the tach in the dash is
to be believed.

nate

Old February 6th 11, 09:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
m6onz5a

On Feb 5, 7:48*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 02/05/2011 05:35 PM, Tegger wrote:
>

> > Nate > *wrote in news:iik7ol02km1
> > @news7.newsguy.com:

> >> hi all

> >> had alt. replaced in '93 F-150 a while back... stopped charging on way
> >> home from work one day. *just more recently I noticed slow starting when
> >> cold so had battery replaced. *Today I had to drive the truck in a cold
> >> rain so I had lights, wipers, defrost, etc. on. *At idle in gear volt
> >> gauge would drop to about "O" in "NORMAL" where it usually sits between
> >> "M" and "A" (sorry, no voltage readings - didn't have meter with me.)
> >> Should I be worried, or is this normal? *I have to say I don't
> >> particularly like it, as stop and go traffic is not particularly
> >> uncommon around here (DC-land.) *If it's NOT normal, where can I get a
> >> GOOD alternator?

> > My first approach would be to put a digital voltmeter across the battery
> > terminals with the engine running. Have you done this?

> Not today, it was about 30 degrees and raining and I had stuff that
> needed to be moved. *Normally I would have...
>

> > Park the truck pointing at a wall or someplace where you can easily see the
> > headlight beams. Rev the enngine. Do the lights get brighter as the revs
> > rise, then dim as they drop back to idle? Try this with the accessories off
> > and on.

> accessories off I don't think it's dropping off much, but acc's on they
> seem to. *Idle in Drive is about 600-700 RPM if the tach in the dash is
> to be believed.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

you need to put a meter on the battery while the motor is running to
see what your charging volts are.. Anything below 13.5v you should
replace the alternator.
Old February 6th 11, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.ford
Scott Dorsey

jim <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote:

>Unless it is a heavy duty alternator these things only put out about
>25-30 amps at normal idle speed.

And if in fact the problem IS just a matter of the severe cold, then
upgrading to a heavy duty alternator may be a solution. Because next
winter is going to be cold too.
--scott