The EV is on fi Don't cut that orange wire

Old January 28th 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Default The EV is on fi Don't cut that orange wire

Tegger wrote:

> Artificial credit kept World War 1 going for 4 years instead of the 6-
> months that everyone expected. Artificial credit destroyed the very-
> healthy banking system that existed right up until December 1913, which
> is when the Fed law was passed.

That statement illustrates the vapid stupidity of your position. Your
claiming that under your system everyone would be so destitute they
couldn't afford to fight a war longer than 6 months.

Not a very convincing argument.
Old January 28th 11, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> Yep, the government does indeed waste some of your tax dollars, however
> they do indeed provide a lot of infrastructure bits you take for
> granted.

They also provide "infrastructure" bits that are neither productive nor
wanted. Bridges to nowhere, and lots of others. They waste a LOT
of our tax dollars.

"Government" has lost the ability to manage the affairs of the nation
effectively, fairly, and economically. We need some downsizing.
Old January 28th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "hls" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message > Maybe not what
>> you are thinking of but where I would start would be to
>>> cutting spending on any "program" that buys "stuff" if that "stuff"
>>> is being made in some OTHER country. So if, for example, we are
>>> buying $60billion worth of land mines from Austria, we stop. Let the
>>> Austrians lose their jobs. You or whoever said it, is right, if we
>>> just "cut spending" without regard to where we cut there will be some
>>> significant negatives, like increased unemployment.

>> I think everybody had good points.
>>
>> Personal debt may have been the big factor that caused the Great
>> Depression. And the theory goes that personal debt rises because
>> too much money is locked into the hands of very few people.

> The Great Depression was caused primarily by a severe contraction of the
> inflation of the 1920's.

There is more to it than that. My statement on personal debt was not
pulled past a sphincter. It comes from an analysis of the depression
at about that time in history.There is a book on it, if you are interested

Old January 28th 11, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

jim wrote:
"The US voting public is not very bright
but they have a pretty good sense that the libertarians
would lead them where they don't want to go."

Don't be so sure. See you in 2012.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Old January 28th 11, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"AMuzi" > wrote in message news:ihvd70
> jim wrote:
> "The US voting public is not very bright
> but they have a pretty good sense that the libertarians
> would lead them where they don't want to go."
>
> Don't be so sure. See you in 2012.

Both major parties got a little bit of a surprise in November, 2010.
The surprise CAN get worse for them both.

Old January 28th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

AMuzi wrote:

> jim wrote:
> "The US voting public is not very bright
> but they have a pretty good sense that the libertarians
> would lead them where they don't want to go."
>
> Don't be so sure. See you in 2012.

What's going to happen in 2012?
Will the libertarians win?
Will we dump the Federal reserve and the FDA and the DEA and the EPA?
Will we balance the budget and close down all the foreign military
bases?

Sure and pigs will be flying all over too.
Old January 28th 11, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

ben91932 wrote:
> On Jan 24, 6:56 pm, bob urz > wrote:
>> http://eetweb.com/applications/EV_fi...111/index.html
>>
>> bob

> +So...correct me if I'm wrong, but arent first responders equipped
> with insulated cable cutters?
> Seems like quickly breaking the high voltage circuit would make things
> safer..
> Ben

Not usually. We cut the battery cables as a last resort. I like to just
pull the connector if possible. But it depends on the damage.
In the case of an EV you don't want to cut the cable because then you
have a high voltage source out in the open. Not a good thing. Also if
the vehicle is a hybrid you could have fuel leakage. Ever see the spark
that a high voltage cable causes when it grounds out?

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Old January 29th 11, 08:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"hls" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> "hls" > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> "Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message > Maybe not what
>>> you are thinking of but where I would start would be to
>>>
>>> I think everybody had good points.
>>>
>>> Personal debt may have been the big factor that caused the Great
>>> Depression. And the theory goes that personal debt rises because
>>> too much money is locked into the hands of very few people.

>> The Great Depression was caused primarily by a severe contraction of
>> the inflation of the 1920's.
>>

> There is more to it than that.

Yes, but that was the gist of it. Plus Hoover's and FDR's appalling and
repeated mistakes.

> My statement on personal debt was not pulled past a sphincter.

You cannot have excessive debt without someone to lend it. You cannot
have excessive lending unless somebody's been insulated from the risk,
and/or has been /ordered/ to lend. There's your personal debt, in a
nutshell.

Everybody has always wanted credit so as to be able to live beyond their
means. That is NOT new in history. What IS new is the modern obsession
with cheap and abundant credit.

Excessive credit, and the mandates to lend, can only come from one
place. Guess what that place is?

> It comes from an analysis of the depression
> at about that time in history.There is a book on it, if you are
> interested

There are several for you too, if you are interested:

"The Bubble that Broke the World", by Garet Garrett.

"America's Great Depression, by Murray Rothbard.

Also good is "The Forgotten Man", by Amity Shlaes. Although her book
has, to me, a fatal flaw in that she begins in 1929, not in 1913.

I also recommend extensive and long-term reading of The Wall Street
Journal, Forbes, Reason magazine, and the various leftish publications.
Tons of tiny historical tidbits tend to get revealed here and there over
the years.

--
Tegger
Old January 30th 11, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 22:36:19 -0500, "Steve W." >
wrote:

>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>>
>> I'm not surprised. At the state level our safety people (don't know
>> if they dreamed it up or it was some new regulation) said we had to
>> replace ALL hard hats every two years and the interior suspension
>> every one year. To have a couple guys climb over a guardrail and do a
>> little work on a slope they wanted us to spend $32,000 on a "safety
>> class" that would teach them to be safe on unstable ground. We had to
>> spend $4000 with a hazardous waste company to dispose of 50 pounds of
>> zeolite, which had been tested for asbestos and came back clean just
>> because "maybe your sample missed the asbestos". The whole safety
>> culture has gone well past the point of absurdity.

>Sounds like the law in NY requiring ALL Firefighters to have a bail out
>rope kit. The law was put in place after some NYFD guys got trapped in a
>building and couldn't get out.
>
>At the time NYFD didn't "require" the crews to have bail out ropes, it
>was STRONGLY encouraged though. This crew didn't bother.
>The result ALL firefighters have to have the ropes or you're in
>violation of OSHA. The kicker, any department that serves a population
>over 1 million is exempt from the law!!!! Care to guess how many people
>live in NYFD jurisdiction... So the people who pushed for the law and
>rammed it through the legislature are exempt from it.
>
>The law has a few things that does allow for exemptions IF you're SOP is
>written a certain way or you don't EVER send someone in the building you
>can get around it.
>BUT if you have interior training you have to have a rope, doesn't
>matter what your current job is either. For instance if you're on scene
>and directing traffic but could possibly be put into the fire then you
>need a rope.
>
>The ropes - 50 feet of special NFPA rope, Carabiner, Descent device,
>belt or harness = About $500.00 each.
>For a device that will likely NEVER be used. You also need a second one
>that is used ONLY for training. the one you carry is a one time use item!

That summarizes gvt stupidity in a nutshell.