Rear wheel drive.

Old January 15th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default Rear wheel drive.

"AMuzi" > wrote in message >
> A Corvair with winter tires will just keep going. Around the
> wrecked super duper automatic this and electronic that.

"Just keep going"?
Most of them didnt

Old February 3rd 11, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> There is, or used to be available accesory gas heaters for aircooled
> VWs.

There was indeed such a heater. I had a gasoline heater in my SAAB
which could be programmed to come on in the morning before I went to
work. It also had electrically heated seats, and was a pleasure to drive
in very cold weather, on snow, ice, or rain.

Old February 4th 11, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Jan 10, 10:33*pm, wrote:
> There is, or used to be available accesory gas heaters for aircooled
> VWs.

on early Porsche 911s there was a compartment in the luggage area for
that purpose. I remember reading an anecdote by Vic Elford about
being stopped and searched by customs somewhere in Europe because he
was driving a 911; the officer doing the search went straight for that
compartment. Apparently it was sometimes used by less than scrupulous
people as a handy place to hide things that they didn't want found.

nate
Old February 4th 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Feb 4, 9:57*am, me at > wrote:

> || m6onz5a wrote:
>
> |> Yeah the Corvair is great in the snow but the heater sucks unless you
> |> have a gas heater.
> |
> | I do have the 'instant heat and lots of it' units installed.
> |
> | Nice in the cold, but more importantly your engine runs much
> | cooler on hot days or at speed without all the lower baffles.
> | * <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> | * Open every day since 1 April, 1971
>
> Please provide a pointer/link so I can get one.

I don't think anyone will sell you a new one anymore for liability
reasons.

used to be "Parts Place" would sell you a box full of used gas heater
parts for an old VW if you asked them nicely but there were all sorts
of legal disclaimers involved. Not sure if they still do that or not.

nate