This is weird....what is this noise?

Old September 13th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default This is weird....what is this noise?

Hope someone might be able to guide me in the right direction:
1993 Honda Civic...had noise in clutch...when I push the clutch, it had
a classic "release bearing" noise" except the weird thing is...the
noise happens when I DEPRESS the clutch pedal, NOT release it....I took
out the tranny, and changed the release bearing...the old one was
obviously bad, sounded like an old roller skate when I spun it, and had
play...I thought for sure that was the problem. When I put it all back
together...EXACTLY the same noise!
Here's the weird part: the noise is ONLY there when the pedal is
depressed in NEUTRAL...no other gears. The only other time you hear is
is while coasting in 1st gear, but not if I depress the pedal in 1st or
any other gear. If I am stopped and idling in any gear with the pedal
depressed there is NO NOISE, if I move the shifter into neutral, the
noise starts...
ANY SUGGESTIONS? Help would be greatly appreciated. Could it be Pilot
bearing? or internal tranny problem?
Thanks

Old September 13th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_5_]

The proper way to test a throwout bearing is to press on it, in the same
direction as when the clutch is depressed, and then turn it. If you don't
load them up a little bit, they will appear loose and can make noise. Pilot
bearings are pretty cheap. Internal transmission problems are almost always
expensive. I am thinking maybe pilot bearing.

Earle

ups.com...

Old September 13th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

wrote:

> Hope someone might be able to guide me in the right direction:
> 1993 Honda Civic...had noise in clutch...when I push the clutch, it had
> a classic "release bearing" noise" except the weird thing is...the
> noise happens when I DEPRESS the clutch pedal, NOT release it....I took
> out the tranny, and changed the release bearing...the old one was
> obviously bad, sounded like an old roller skate when I spun it, and had
> play...I thought for sure that was the problem. When I put it all back
> together...EXACTLY the same noise!
> Here's the weird part: the noise is ONLY there when the pedal is
> depressed in NEUTRAL...no other gears. The only other time you hear is
> is while coasting in 1st gear, but not if I depress the pedal in 1st or
> any other gear. If I am stopped and idling in any gear with the pedal
> depressed there is NO NOISE, if I move the shifter into neutral, the
> noise starts...
> ANY SUGGESTIONS? Help would be greatly appreciated. Could it be Pilot
> bearing? or internal tranny problem?
> Thanks

Probably input shaft bearing. My '83 has a similar noise and I just
turn up the radio a bit...

JT
Old September 13th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

wrote:

> Hope someone might be able to guide me in the right direction:
> 1993 Honda Civic...had noise in clutch...when I push the clutch, it had
> a classic "release bearing" noise" except the weird thing is...the
> noise happens when I DEPRESS the clutch pedal, NOT release it....I took
> out the tranny, and changed the release bearing...the old one was
> obviously bad, sounded like an old roller skate when I spun it, and had
> play...I thought for sure that was the problem. When I put it all back
> together...EXACTLY the same noise!
> Here's the weird part: the noise is ONLY there when the pedal is
> depressed in NEUTRAL...no other gears. The only other time you hear is
> is while coasting in 1st gear, but not if I depress the pedal in 1st or
> any other gear. If I am stopped and idling in any gear with the pedal
> depressed there is NO NOISE, if I move the shifter into neutral, the
> noise starts...
> ANY SUGGESTIONS? Help would be greatly appreciated. Could it be Pilot
> bearing? or internal tranny problem?
> Thanks

Did you change the MTF while you were under there? It's probably the
tranny, and a fresh bath of MTF might be the cheapest way of finding
out.

'Curly'
Old October 3rd 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Heh... Now all I hafta do is convince the rest of the world..

<G>

JT