Airbox has to go?

Old June 14th 05, 10:43 PM
Andy

Default Airbox has to go?

Hi Everybody,

I got a great deal on a Quick Air 3 and attempted to install it and gave up.
I have an 01 TJ six cyl. and the air box has to go if I want to put this in
the engine compartment, and I do.. I'm really not interested in K&N or
other devices. I have seen nice setups with a chrome air cleaner on top of
the intake. Anybody know what air cleaner and filter I could use? Off of a
certain vehicle? I off road a lot so ingestion dust/dirt is something I am
concerned about.

Thanks

Andy
2001 TJ

Old June 14th 05, 11:11 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

What wrong with under the seat?
http://www.ok4wd.com/product.asp?id=172 I'd do a lot of looking before I
screwed up a perfect induction system.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 14th 05, 11:18 PM
Earle Horton

http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=547

This mounts a K&N one piece air cleaner right on top of the engine, where
not much dirt or water can get at it. I don't much care for the price, but
I didn't have a tubing bender that would accommodate that diameter, and my
welding skills aren't so good.

Earle

Old June 15th 05, 01:13 AM
Jerry Bransford

Trueflow makes a filter that will fit onto the air tube after cutting it
off just like the K&N does. The difference being that the Trueflow
actually does a good job of filtering the air, unlike K&N's. I
installed an OBA into my Jeep and it also took up the airbox's space so
that's why I'm running the Trueflow.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old June 15th 05, 03:53 AM
Ed J.

This does the same thing as the turbocity and it's only $30.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/m...y_Code=PER_AIR

Been running this tube with a K&N for about 2 years. I've never seen
dirt inside the airtube or TB. It is an open filter, but it's a couple
inches higher than the stock aibox inlet. If you get in that deep,
you're going to have problems regardless.

-Ed

Old June 15th 05, 05:37 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And it still runs?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 15th 05, 07:54 AM
Jerry Bransford

The TurboCity air tube does literally NOTHING that the factory air tube
doesn't do. I started with cutting off my factory air tube to mount the
K&N air filter but had to replace it with the TurboCIty air tube so I
could pass the visual inspection for California's semi-annual smog
system test. The TurboCity had the required CARB (Calif. Air Resources
Board) sticker of approval, that's what I needed to pass.

Was there any difference in performance with TurboCity's hollow steel
tube and the plastic factory air tube I had been using? Of course not,
what a rip-off... $80 for their lame air tube just so I could get that
required CARB approval sticker. Damn.

Jerry

Old June 15th 05, 04:08 PM
Earle Horton

It put the K&N on top of the engine, further away from the dust and the
water than the stock air box in my '95. It came with a spiffy "Rock-It"
sticker. It made room for a tool box or anything else you can dream up for
the stock air box location. I don't think you're being fair when you say it
does "NOTHING" that the stock air tube doesn't. ;^)

Earle

Old June 15th 05, 08:44 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Earle,
In the past you've said there's no dust in the pipe, proving
de'Nile is not just a river in Egypt. Do it one more time, just so as I
may say, I told you so.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 15th 05, 08:51 PM