A child seat in the back seat of a 98.

Old May 11th 05, 04:49 PM
Mikepier

I would beef up the side of the seat with a rolled up blanket or
towel. I remember when I had a rear facing seat I had the same problem.
The foam at the side of the rear seat is not as firm as in the center.

Old May 11th 05, 05:09 PM

As I said, Been there, done that. Not a good solution.
oups.com...

Old May 11th 05, 08:47 PM
351CJ

That may well be true but if you had 2 or 3 child seats, it would be a
totally mute point.
Other than the safest spot issue the lopsided seat seams much more
bothersome than the reaching issues...

Good Luck with your dilemma.

On a totally unrelated tangent.
If indeed you had more than one child seat, how would you pick which child
got the center seat? Would you have to say to the outboard children that
they were not worthy? If it were a side impact, wouldn't the opposite side
actually be the safest spot? Where is the truly safest spot? (the boy in
the plastic bubble movie pops into mind here) Hey maybe the drivers seat
should be in the center...

I apologize in advance, My mind just went into hyper-speed when I read "the
safest place for the child seat is the center" line...

Old May 11th 05, 11:24 PM

Well, you have to agree that the most protected place is the center spot.
Less chances of getting hit or hitting the inside of the vehicle in case of
an accident.

And at the moment I only have one kid so I will try to protect him as much
as possible. When I have two kids I guess the older one will move to the
side spot.

newsjtge.25133$dw1.13459@trnddc02...

Old May 12th 05, 12:09 AM
Rob

Since you don't want to put anything on the seat or use another part of it,
then the next logical solution would be to buy another car or truck to
transport your child.

Old May 12th 05, 12:16 AM
Rob

Or let all of the air out of the tires on the right side. That should level
it.

Old May 12th 05, 12:46 AM
Bill Hall

If you don't have a solution as yet, give me a call. I think I have a
solution (and the parts)

Bill

Old May 12th 05, 12:55 AM

u following me ?

newsPwge.23926$hh6.6470@trnddc01...

Old May 12th 05, 01:48 AM
Ratbert

OK then, cut your board slightly larger than the base of your car seat.
Make sure that on the 1/3 side, the board actually rests on the
other seat. Perhaps that will support it better.

Your Explorer isn't equipped with the LATCH system is it? Using that
might help some.

Borrow different car seats from your friends and see if any of them work
any better. They may have wider bases, or they may just fit better in
your vehicle.