Engine shuts off when coming to a stop

Old April 30th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Engine shuts off when coming to a stop

My '90 Miata, which I have owned for one month has 91,500 miles on it.
It runs great except when it's warmed up and I am coming to a stop, the
engine shuts off. I can restart it and it starts and runs fine, tach
steady at about 750 rpm, then I take off and when coming to the next
stop, it will shut off again.

I'm thinking maybe a new gas filter. Anyone had this problem or knows
how to fix it. I've looked at the Miata Enthusiast's Manual and
haven't found the answer. Thanks, Wileyman

Old April 30th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

While I have a Miata, I have not had that, or ANY, problem with it.

I DID, however, just have and fix that exact same problem with my Chevy
chassis RV. About 2 years ago, I had a very similar problem with my GMC
Suburban.

Both vehicles suffered from bad, in-the-tank, electric fuel pumps. The
Chevy chassis RV only had the problem when the gas tank was less than 1/2
full..

After replacing the pumps and ALL in-line fuel filters, I have had no
problems.

Please let us know what it is.

Tim

oups.com...

Old May 1st 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

At idle--
Fuel usage is low, and the voltage to the fuel pump may also be low.

A failing pump may quit at a lower than nomal input voltage. (Usually a sign
of a battery or alternator problem.)

I'd jumper the tens pin, and see what happens.
Since this is a 90, a lot of things are suspect, based upon age and miles.

Old May 2nd 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

If all else fails, have the compression (include blowdown) checked.
Miata engines may be worn to the point that the compression is down and it's
remotely possible that the oil rings are still OK.
Usually, oil usage is a good key, even if no smoke is noticed.
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> I think a good check over the vacuum lines might be a good idea, if

they're
> looking old and dry with some cracking maybe you should replace them.

Maybe

Old May 2nd 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I have a 1990 Miata that I've owned for eight years and that has started
to exhibit the same problem, along with occasional difficulty changing
gears. It's in the shop at the moment, and it's looking as if the problem
was a leaking clutch slave cylinder. Apparently, the leak resulted in the
clutch not being fully disengaged when I pushed down the clutch pedal. The
mechanic is going to install a new component, to see if that takes care of
the problem. However, not having the clutch completely disengaged would
explain why the engine would occasionally stall when I was coming to a stop,
and why the gears would grind when I was changing them.

See http://www.miata.net/garage/slavecyl.html for more details.