Squeal under the hood

Old September 30th 04, 10:22 PM
Joe Fugazzi

Default Squeal under the hood

Hello

I have a 95 318ti and it has recently developed a squeal under the hood that
only occurs after the engine has warmed up. I have about a 20 minute drive
from work and it starts up quiet but by the time I get home it sounds like
there is a flock of birds under the hood. I tried to find the source of the
sound but I can't pinpoint since it seems to come from everywhere. I'm sure
its either a belt or tensioner pully but which one would be silent when cold
but start making noise when hot?

Thanks

Joe Fugazzi

Old October 1st 04, 03:47 PM
Jeremy

Joe Fugazzi wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a 95 318ti and it has recently developed a squeal under the hood that
> only occurs after the engine has warmed up. I have about a 20 minute drive
> from work and it starts up quiet but by the time I get home it sounds like
> there is a flock of birds under the hood. I tried to find the source of the
> sound but I can't pinpoint since it seems to come from everywhere. I'm sure
> its either a belt or tensioner pully but which one would be silent when cold
> but start making noise when hot?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe Fugazzi

Start by changing the belts and saving the used ones for an emergency,
it cannot hurt and will illuminate one potential cause.
You could try spraying some belt dressing, but if the belts have been
polished, it is just better to change them out.

As for an answer to your question, there is a list of things that may be
causing the squeal, inclujdung bet not limited to: old/hard belts, bad
tensioner, bad bearings in any of the belt accessories. bad water pump,
cracked mounting plate on the alternator, airlock in the cooling system.

JJ
Old October 3rd 04, 04:53 PM
CRWLR

Of the two, I would suspect the idler pulley bearings getting hot.

Replace the belt, and while it is off, check the idler pulley, it should
roll smoothly - if a little bit tight. It is rolls too easily, or has any
roughness, it needs to be replaced. Of course, you can take the idler off
too, and take it with you to the Parts Counter you like to visit, and
compare the feel of the old one with the feel of a new one.

I suspect that your '95 idler pulley is worn out by now.

Old October 4th 04, 02:16 AM
keith

"CRWLR" > wrote:

>Of the two, I would suspect the idler pulley bearings getting hot.
>
>Replace the belt, and while it is off, check the idler pulley, it should
>roll smoothly - if a little bit tight. It is rolls too easily, or has any
>roughness, it needs to be replaced. Of course, you can take the idler off

- snip

defnitely an idler pulley or the like... symptoms exactly the same
in my wifes car ( volvo, but pretty much the same when it comes to
this) noise was so loud it was hard to pinpoint.
if it was the water pump, that makes a lower grinding noise.

keith