cheap Miata for sale near here

Old November 18th 04, 12:19 AM
tonyrama

Default cheap Miata for sale near here

I was out and about today and I went down into a wholesale lot looking for a
vehicle for my mother, and what did I see but an M1! I couldn't believe they
had one there, so I pulled in to see it. It's a '95, it looked green under
the lights but the guy there said it was blue, it had a tan top with black
interior, power windows, power antenna, newish rubber on nice alloys,
automatic tranny. When I saw it was automatic I didn't look over it much
longer, but I almost had her convinced when I got home that it was a viable
buy for a winter car. The price on it was $3600, but they guy said they'd
probably take $2500. It's not inspected, and the tag on the window said it
was because of the directionals, and the drivetrain, whatever that means.

So my questions are these: First, what could be wrong in a Miata drivetrain
that would negate a sticker? Second, I know that a lot of people here drive
their Miatae in the snow, but my mother is the little old ganny in a minivan
type. More of a point and steerer than a driver, what's the likelyhood that
she'd get herself into more trouble with a Miata than a FWD minivan? With
decent snowtires, of course, but she drives 50-60 miles a day round trip to
work, and needs something she can count on to get through New England
winters. What do you all think?

Tonyrama

Old November 18th 04, 01:15 AM
Natman

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:19:03 -0500, "tonyrama" > wrote:

>I was out and about today and I went down into a wholesale lot looking for a
>vehicle for my mother, and what did I see but an M1! I couldn't believe they
>had one there, so I pulled in to see it. It's a '95, it looked green under
>the lights but the guy there said it was blue, it had a tan top with black
>interior, power windows, power antenna, newish rubber on nice alloys,
>automatic tranny. When I saw it was automatic I didn't look over it much
>longer, but I almost had her convinced when I got home that it was a viable
>buy for a winter car. The price on it was $3600, but they guy said they'd
>probably take $2500. It's not inspected, and the tag on the window said it
>was because of the directionals, and the drivetrain, whatever that means.
>
>So my questions are these: First, what could be wrong in a Miata drivetrain
>that would negate a sticker? Second, I know that a lot of people here drive
>their Miatae in the snow, but my mother is the little old ganny in a minivan
>type. More of a point and steerer than a driver, what's the likelyhood that
>she'd get herself into more trouble with a Miata than a FWD minivan? With
>decent snowtires, of course, but she drives 50-60 miles a day round trip to
>work, and needs something she can count on to get through New England
>winters. What do you all think?
>
>Tonyrama

I strongly suspect that the biggest plus feature of the Miata, the
handling, would be lost on your mother, and that she would find it
noisy, cramped, rough riding and uncomfortable. She' d probably object
to the lack of trunk and storage space.

Have her take it for a test drive and see, but I bet she'd be happier
with a nice FWD sedan.

Be sure to find out IN DETAIL what's wrong with the drivetrain before
you part with any money.

Old November 18th 04, 01:16 AM
Chief_Wiggum

As much as I'd like to reccommend it, granny is better off with the minivan!

Although, I must say that a friend of mine's 60 yr old mom has a 95 that she
only recently traded off for a PT cruiser.(yeah, yeah.. I know.... At least
she got the TURBO PT !)

Besides everthing else, just the fact that the car sits on the ground she'd
probably need a crane to follow her around to get out of the thing!

Let it go.!

Old November 18th 04, 02:57 AM
tonyrama

> I strongly suspect that the biggest plus feature of the Miata, the
> handling, would be lost on your mother, and that she would find it
> noisy, cramped, rough riding and uncomfortable. She' d probably object
> to the lack of trunk and storage space.

She indeed might. She's said in the past that she wants something that she
can just slide into like her T&C, but when I brought it up, she was all over
it. She liked that I told her she'd get really good gas milage. She rides in
mine often enough so that she's not scared by high-G corners anymore and is
used to the ride, and mine has over 100,000 miles on origninal shocks.

> Have her take it for a test drive and see, but I bet she'd be happier
> with a nice FWD sedan.

The hard part is she says she's not picky, but she kind of is, she just has
no idea what she wants.

> Be sure to find out IN DETAIL what's wrong with the drivetrain before
> you part with any money.

Absolutely, but I'm not aware of any common problem that might plague Miata
drivetrains. I will definately drive the thing before I'd ever buy it.

Tonyrama

Old November 18th 04, 03:47 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-11-18, tonyrama > wrote:

> She indeed might. She's said in the past that she wants
> something that she can just slide into like her T&C, but when
> I brought it up, she was all over it. She liked that I told
> her she'd get really good gas milage.

But she won't. Miata's don't get really good gas milage.

> She rides in mine often enough so that she's not scared by
> high-G corners anymore and is used to the ride, and mine has
> over 100,000 miles on origninal shocks.

You need new shocks.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm not available
at for comment...
Old November 18th 04, 11:49 AM
tonyrama

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message
> On 2004-11-18, tonyrama > wrote:
>
> > She indeed might. She's said in the past that she wants
> > something that she can just slide into like her T&C, but when
> > I brought it up, she was all over it. She liked that I told
> > her she'd get really good gas milage.

> But she won't. Miata's don't get really good gas milage.

The way she drives, she will. She gets 25 MPG out of her 3.8 liter V6
hauling around 5000 lbs of metal. I average high 20s with occasional low 30s
with my Miata. I figure if she's not going to rev it, she should get at
least that.

> > She rides in mine often enough so that she's not scared by
> > high-G corners anymore and is used to the ride, and mine has
> > over 100,000 miles on origninal shocks.

> You need new shocks.

I know I do. I'm working on that.

Old November 18th 04, 04:20 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-11-18, tonyrama > wrote:

>> But she won't. Miata's don't get really good gas milage.

> The way she drives, she will. She gets 25 MPG out of her 3.8
> liter V6 hauling around 5000 lbs of metal. I average high 20s
> with occasional low 30s with my Miata. I figure if she's not
> going to rev it, she should get at least that.

Ah. You're definition of "really good" is quite a bit
different than mine. If I were told a car got "really good"
mileage, I would expect at least 40-45 mpg.

Does the Miata A/T lock up when cruising? If so, she should
get pretty much the same mileage that a manual does.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... I see TOILET
at SEATS...
Old November 18th 04, 06:20 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

I have to go with the chief on this one. Unles your moms is trying to 'pick
up guys' it's highly unlikely the miata will be a good choice for her.
Something like a used Sentra or even 323 / Protege' makes allot more sense
and will probably get quite a bit better mileage (Sentra at least).

Soft tops are impractical in serious winter situations too. If you are car /
convertible crazy, that's one thing but otherwise, it's just too much of a
handicap. Remember, if she (or anyone with her) goesto scrape the ice / snow
off the rear window, you have instant minor disaster. Hardtop changes allot
though.....

Chris
92BB&T

Old November 18th 04, 07:44 PM
bgt

If the Lady wants to have fun let her. You guys are a bunch of kill joys.
Maybe she's young at heart and would enjoy it. We have an 60+ year old lady
that comes out to some of our AutoX events in her BMW and enjoys it
immensely, what if you guys got a hold of whoever was encouraging her? If
she wants a Miata let her have fun. Jeez!

Old November 18th 04, 10:48 PM
tonyrama

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message
> On 2004-11-18, tonyrama > wrote:
>
> >> But she won't. Miata's don't get really good gas milage.

> > The way she drives, she will. She gets 25 MPG out of her 3.8
> > liter V6 hauling around 5000 lbs of metal. I average high 20s
> > with occasional low 30s with my Miata. I figure if she's not
> > going to rev it, she should get at least that.

> Ah. You're definition of "really good" is quite a bit
> different than mine. If I were told a car got "really good"
> mileage, I would expect at least 40-45 mpg.

Well, really good is relative. She's getting 25 now, so 30 is good. Her
other option is my father's V8 F-150, that gets...I don't even know, but
it's bad.

> Does the Miata A/T lock up when cruising? If so, she should
> get pretty much the same mileage that a manual does.

No idea on that.

Another Miata Owner Ken Lyons Mazda 4 November 13th 04 05:38 AM
2002 Miata SE Paint Problems David G. Nicholls, P.Eng., P.E. Mazda 1 November 8th 04 07:48 PM
Miata as a toad FredC Mazda 5 November 7th 04 10:07 PM
Ok...I've got a little over a year to think this one over... Anthony Mazda 9 October 13th 04 04:15 AM
Miata gas milate srides Mazda 2 September 11th 04 02:39 PM