One foot over the line

Old January 4th 05, 03:36 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote
> He & Stern are right. If you're gonna play this game, you gotta play
> it *right*. That means parking so damn close that the original space
> hog won't even *think* of getting in on that side. That means as close
> as the thickness of their door. so when it's opened, the door panel
> doesn't clear the opening. On a good day, I can get close enough so
> they can't *walk* on that side.

I once found the only place left; between two line huggers. I aimed it
up, got out and pushed it into the parking place, nailing two at once.
Anyone beat that?

Floyd
Old January 4th 05, 03:39 AM
Nate Nagel

fbloogyudsr wrote:

> "Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote
>
>> He & Stern are right. If you're gonna play this game, you gotta play
>> it *right*. That means parking so damn close that the original space
>> hog won't even *think* of getting in on that side. That means as close
>> as the thickness of their door. so when it's opened, the door panel
>> doesn't clear the opening. On a good day, I can get close enough so
>> they can't *walk* on that side.

> I once found the only place left; between two line huggers. I aimed it
> up, got out and pushed it into the parking place, nailing two at once.
> Anyone beat that?
>
> Floyd

I guess you weren't driving a hatchback...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 4th 05, 03:39 AM
Nate Nagel

Old January 4th 05, 03:44 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Nate Nagel" > wrote
> fbloogyudsr wrote:
>> "Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote
>>
>>> He & Stern are right. If you're gonna play this game, you gotta play
>>> it *right*. That means parking so damn close that the original space
>>> hog won't even *think* of getting in on that side. That means as close
>>> as the thickness of their door. so when it's opened, the door panel
>>> doesn't clear the opening. On a good day, I can get close enough so
>>> they can't *walk* on that side.

>> I once found the only place left; between two line huggers. I aimed it
>> up, got out and pushed it into the parking place, nailing two at once.
>> Anyone beat that?
>>
>> Floyd

> I guess you weren't driving a hatchback...

'61 Ford Falcon 2-door.

Floyd
Old January 4th 05, 03:44 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Nate Nagel" > wrote

Old January 4th 05, 06:07 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
fbloogyudsr > wrote:

>I once found the only place left; between two line huggers. I aimed it
>up, got out and pushed it into the parking place, nailing two at once.
>Anyone beat that?

Can't beat it, but I did something similar at work once -- 1/4 mile
long nearly-full parking lot and a line-crossing Lincoln Town Car
(which didn't belong to any of MY bosses) right up front. Parked in
the space and climbed out the top.
Old January 4th 05, 06:07 PM
Matthew Russotto

Old January 4th 05, 06:48 PM
C. E. White

Years ago a friend and I met at a theater to attend a late
movie. We arrived in separate cars. The theater had nice
wide spaces. Some turkey in a Porsche split the line and
consumed two spaces near the entrance. Fortunately for us,
there was enough room on either side for our cars. My friend
had a BMW 2002 which he was able to get out of via the door
on the side opposite the Porsche. I had an Austin Healey
Sprite. I just climbed out the rear (top down). When we got
out of the late movie the Porsche was still there. I have no
idea whether or not the owner wanted to leave before us -
but he didn't. I suppose if he had wanted to leave he could
have pushed my Sprite out of the way (no locks on those
cars) and climbed in through the Porsche's passenger door,
but he didn't.

I really don't care if people want to park in two spaces as
long as there are plenty of spaces and they park far out in
lot. Taking two spaces near the door is a no-no. It is a
good thing for some people that I don't run a mall or
shopping center. I'd keep a tow truck on stand-by to haul
off inconsiderate people who park in two spaces, the fire
lane, or in handicap spaces (without justification). I've
decided that illegal parking is some sort of inverted bell
curve in relationship to the value of the vehicle. People
with very expensive and very crummy cars are far more likely
to be inconsiderate parkers than people with mid priced
cars.

Ed

Old January 4th 05, 06:48 PM
C. E. White

Old January 6th 05, 08:01 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2005 12:07:58 -0800, "Motorhead Lawyer"
> > wrote:
>
> >> Also, how many BMW drivers do you uppose would risk cutting off a

'72
> >> Fury in traffic?

> >Having spent several years behind the wheel of a much 'lighter' and
> >'nimbler' (laughably relative terms, of course) '68 Fury III, I can
> >tell you: *I would!*

> You're a fool. My mom used to have a Fury station wagon of early 70s
> vintage. Their 4-wheel drum brakes were pretty lousy. Come to think

of
> it, so were the brakes on my Durango; must be a Chrysler trait.
>
> Anyway, if you cut one of these beasts off, don't count on them being
> able to stop (even if the driver wants to).

Sorry; you misunderstand. When I 'cut off' someone in traffic, it's in
the sense that I move into their lane closer ahead than most people's
'comfort zone'. I *do not* force nor expect them to brake in any way.
If that were the case, I wouldn't make the move. In fact, I am usually
accelerating into the lane or already moving 5-10 mph faster than they
are. Did you not notice I am well aware of the 'nimble' handling and
braking of old Mopars? Let me give you a list: '61 DeSoto, '62
Chrysler wagon, '63 Chrysler, '64 Dodge wagon; and those are just the
ones I owned. Add three '61 Chrysler 300s, '60 Imperial, '64 and '68
Furies, '61 Lancers, and a '70 Coronet, and you've covered most of the
Mopars I've driven. *All* had brake drums seemingly made of butter ...

> >Second, you're assuming the Plymouth would actually *catch* me in
> >traffic.

> If traffic is heavy, unless your 535is can FLY, the Fury will catch
> you easily (and smush you between it and the SUV in front of you).

Ummm, what's the point of taking *one* hole when there isn't *another*
hole available shortly thereafter? Ain't no Fury gonna catch Da Red
Dog.
--
C=2ER. Krieger
(Been there; done that)