Dang Furriners

Old January 3rd 05, 05:56 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
fbloogyudsr > wrote:
>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:02:38 GMT, DTJ > wrote:
>>>Racism is bad. Reverse racism is just as bad, if not worse, because
>>>it perpetuates racism.

>> But dem ribs is dayam good!

>Scott, you and others (although I have DTJ blocked so I shouldn't
>complain about him) are ****ing me off with all this crap. Please
>stop. You can't tell by looking at someone who is a foreigner, you
>can't tell by listening to them, you can't tell from their driving habits,
>etc., etc., etc.

With 100% certainty, no. But you can, in fact, tell with some degree
of accuracy, at least by looking and listening. Claiming that's
"racist" is oversensitivity. Besides, the people of the ethnicity that
stereotypically (and not, IME, without basis in fact) makes some "dayam good"
ribs aren't usually foreign at all.

>There have been some many racist comments on this ng that I'm
>almost to the point of un-subscribing because the general tone is
>so abhorrent to me.

Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out.
Old January 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
223rem

{STP} wrote:

> If you can't tell someone is a foreigner by listening to him, I suggest
> you unsub and spend more time in the real world.
>
> {STP}

Really. Can you detect a Toronto accent?

It's not the accent, it's the behavior. A German or a Swiss will be
much less foreign to US than, say, a Congolese or a Chinese.
Old January 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
223rem

Old January 3rd 05, 07:26 PM
Geoff Miller

Skip Elliott Bowman > writes:

> Um, I think "reverse racism" is called Tolerance

Uh, no. Tolerance is the *absence* of racism. Reverse racism
is when minorities are prejudiced against the majority.

If you took issue with this, why didn't you quote the original
poster (DTJ) rather than somebody who agreed with him (me)?

Geoff

--
"All my father wanted to do was make a toaster
you could really set the darkness on -- and
Old January 3rd 05, 07:26 PM
Geoff Miller

Old January 3rd 05, 07:46 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
The Real Bev > wrote:
>"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:
>> More than once I've grabbed a comment card and sent it in at my
>> earliest convenience. I doubt it has any real effect, though - for
>> example, I told Micro Center to get rid of the highlighter-wielding
>> Goombahs in the exit vestibule of their Tustin store; they responded
>> by buying the guy a chair to sit in and a security guard jacket to
>> wear.

>That's very different from reporting an incompetent employee -- striking
>at the heart of the system takes more than a postcard!

You can't strike at the heart of a successful system, unless you wield
a lot more power than it does. The only way at the heart (aside
from main force) is to become part of the system, and by the time you
get close enough, you're co-opted by it.

In this case, the built-in armor against change is there. The guard
is there to prevent shoplifting. Ipso facto, anyone who complains
about it is a shoplifter and should be ignored.
Old January 3rd 05, 07:46 PM
Matthew Russotto

Old January 3rd 05, 07:47 PM
Geoff Miller

Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> writes:

> Personally, I don't appreciate having to NAG lazy clerks to do their
> jobs. I would rather walk out and take my business somewhere where the
> employees understand that how well they take care of the customers has
> a direct relationship to their own livelihoods.

I don't appreciate *having* to do it, either. But given that I sometimes
do, I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of providing the feedback
that such people clearly need. I'm a guy, after all, and fixing things
is what we do. Passively leaving the store in silence would be a female
sort of response, since conflict avoidance is *their* prime directive.

And if the miscreants take offense at being corrected, so much the better.
I find that when adults are called on poor behavior that, with proper
upbringing, they'd have been disabused of as children, they invariably
fly into a rage. This can be quite entertaining, and useful as well
-- especially in the sort of situation where they're obligated to be
polite to customers, since it can be used against them when management
is summoned.

: I find that with the quality of service going down everywhere, I
: have to exert such "guidance" more and more. And I discovered
: that the more I did it, the easier and more natural it felt.

> So what you're saying is that good service is completely nonexistent
> in the Bay Areas.

How do you infer that from the text of mine that you quoted above?

Geoff

Old January 3rd 05, 07:47 PM
Geoff Miller

Old January 4th 05, 04:53 AM
The Real Bev

Geoff Miller wrote:

> Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> writes:
>
> > Personally, I don't appreciate having to NAG lazy clerks to do their
> > jobs. I would rather walk out and take my business somewhere where the
> > employees understand that how well they take care of the customers has
> > a direct relationship to their own livelihoods.

> I don't appreciate *having* to do it, either. But given that I sometimes
> do, I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of providing the feedback
> that such people clearly need. I'm a guy, after all, and fixing things
> is what we do. Passively leaving the store in silence would be a female
> sort of response, since conflict avoidance is *their* prime directive.

HAH! We only avoid conflict with those we care about, and storedroids
don't qualify.

Somebody in some book described the perfect job: You wander up and down
the halls, observing and asking questions. Whenever you encounter it,
you are empowered to point at it and yell BULL**** BULL**** BULL****
BULL****... until somebody comes and fixes it.

--
Cheers, Bev
I can picture a world without war, without hate. I can picture