Add Navigation System After Purchase

Old September 4th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Add Navigation System After Purchase

Because of the rapidly shrinking pool of 2006 Honda Civics in my
neighborhood, I ended up getting one yesterday w/o a navigation system,
although I really wanted one with it. The salesman said that the nav
systems come from the factory - it's not something you could upgrade
later. I'm not so sure... Although Crutchfield says you can get some
that *technicall* will fit, you have to fabricate your own mounting
brackets, and significantly change the look of your dash, so I don't
like that option.

Is it possible to get a Navigation System after delivery, and then just
replace the audio console along with the radio? Is this completely
insane, or has someone done this before?

Thanks!
Chris

Old September 6th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul G

Not sure about the '06, but I added a nice Kenwood touch-screen unit to
my wife's '04 Civic. Just pulled out the factory CD player and
attached storage bin, slid in the vehicle-specific kit (it had to match
the stereo opening, which wasn't square), and we were ready to go.

Try a local car audio shop or electronics chain; I know Best Buy sells
the unit I bought. If going with a local store, look for one that is
consistently busy and has the product in stock, will show it to you,
etc.

Old September 7th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dr Nick

I LOVE the honda in dash navigation system. (I have an accord so it's slight
different than the civics)

that being said, from what ive' read about puting in the factory nav after
it's built, it's is definetly NOT worth it. it will cost you approx 2,000
for all the parts, plus time and aggrivation, I'd say spend half of that and
get a good indash navi if you'd like (pioneer makes a good one, not sure of
the model)

I'd also recommend getting a portable unit like a garmin or tomtom. the
obvious advantage is you can take it from car to car.

As good as the honda unit is, it's deifnetly not worth the time or effort to
put in after the fact. trust me on this.

-N
oups.com...

Old September 9th 06, 09:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
televascular

It's true. The Honda Navi retrofit requires a great deal of knowledge
about car electronics, as well as the balls to gut your interior. It's
even more work if you decide to swap steering wheels to add the Voice
Navigation button feature. You pay a couple grand, and the stock navi
doesn't support DVD movie playback.

Dr. Nick, I think the [equally expensive] Pioneer navi you're thinking
about is the AVIC-Z1. It features a great deal more features than the
stock navi, and has gotten stellar reviews. However, the cost of the
unit, dashboard, harness, and installation will definitely run upwards
of $2500 or more. Unless you can find a killer deal.

Basically, it's not worth retrofitting unless you're REALLY willing to
shell out the cash. But chances are, if you're not afraid to blow money
on something like this, you can afford to sell your car and swap out
for a navi-equipped model.

Old September 9th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
BRaymond

I just bought a portable unit, the Garmin Nuvi. It is extremely small.
The entire unit is a 3.5" screen, about 1" thick. It was $500 on
eBay, and a much better value than getting the factory nav system.

Bud.

BMW X5 navigation system jane BMW 4 July 8th 06 04:00 PM
'04 4Runner: Aftermarket DVD Navigation system suggestions Leon 4x4 5 April 30th 06 08:18 PM
'00 Voyager Compressor questions bruce Chrysler 15 April 19th 06 11:10 PM
BMW Navigation System & iDrive Mack BMW 13 December 28th 05 09:45 PM