2004 BMW 525i- please help me with question

Old September 21st 04, 12:03 AM
KOS

Default 2004 BMW 525i- please help me with question

Hi, I am thinking of buying a 2004 BMW 525i (without sport package),
I was just wondering if anyone knows if Consumer Reports or some
automagazines have reviewed this car and what type of rating it
received?

I was a little concerned about the steering, that active system.. Is
that standard in all 525s? Does it take getting use to? is it awful?

Is the I-system or whatvever its called- the joystick controller, is
that confusing? I am looking for something simple to operate.

I like the style of this car but if anyone can lead me to some links
about reviews of this vehicle I would appreciate it immensely.

Thanks SO MUCH!
KOS
Old September 21st 04, 12:27 AM
bfd

"KOS" > wrote in message
> Hi, I am thinking of buying a 2004 BMW 525i (without sport package),
> I was just wondering if anyone knows if Consumer Reports or some
> automagazines have reviewed this car and what type of rating it
> received?
>
> I was a little concerned about the steering, that active system.. Is
> that standard in all 525s? Does it take getting use to? is it awful?
>

> Is the I-system or whatvever its called- the joystick controller, is
> that confusing? I am looking for something simple to operate.
>
> I like the style of this car but if anyone can lead me to some links
> about reviews of this vehicle I would appreciate it immensely.

Instead of buying based on "reviews" or "ratings", why not go down to your
nearest BMW dealer and test drive one? Then you will find out if you like
active steering, whether idrive is easy to use and if you really want to buy
one without the sport package.

Since the E60 is new for 2004, there is no reliability record. So CR and
other publications won't have this info. Further, with idrive and things
like active steering and active suspension, the electronics on this car is
alot more complex than the older E39 and thus, that car is not a good
comparison for reliability. Instead, I would look to the E65/66 7 series to
judge its reliability since it came out in 2001 or 2002 and there is at
least a couple of years of history.

Old September 21st 04, 02:44 AM
shango

Active steering is only included in the sports package.So you don't need to
worry about that. As far as the I-drive is concerned, you don't need the
I-drive to drive the car. Basically all you're really going to use it is to
pre-set your radio stations. Once you do that, use the scroll buttons on the
steering wheel to change stations and/or CD tracks.

Old September 21st 04, 03:19 AM
bobukcat

Why skip the sport package?? - it's the only way the 25 is drivable in my
opinion. I test drove a couple with and without the sport package and also
have had a non-sport 25 as a loaner when the 45 I bought was in for the
engine managment system recall and I think it's total dog off the line. At
least with the sports package you can chuck it through turns a lot faster
and the active steering is something you will quickly miss if you drive
something else after you are used to it; mainly while parking. The big
attraction (for me anyway) is the roll stabilization, it is truly amazing in
the way it holds the car flat through the twistys and off / on ramps, etc.

The IDrive system gets way too much publicity, unless you are a total
techno-phob you will get used to it in no time flat and, unless you get the
nav system too you will hardly ever use it once you get the presets
programmed.

Old September 21st 04, 09:19 AM
Andrew Thomas

"Why skip the sport package??"

Because it (in the US, anyway) includes crap tyres, weird steeri and a
strange chassis. (I note that the new M5 eschews all that electronica
- the chief engineer was quoted as saying "we don't do stupid
gimmicks"). Certainly 5ers equipped with Dynamic Drive and Active
Steering (the Sport pack here is unrecognisably different) have been
derided in Europe because of their trashy ride, odd roll response and
weird, feel-free steering.

"I... also have had a non-sport 25 as a loaner when the 45 I bought
was in for the engine managment system recall and I think it's total
dog off the line. "

Of course it is, compared to your "45". (Isn't that a Rover?) Maybe
assume that the guy *isn't* coming from a $60k, 333 bhp 'bahnstormer?
Old September 21st 04, 02:18 PM
Dotcom Computers

In om,
Andrew Thomas > typed:
> "Why skip the sport package??"
>
> Because it (in the US, anyway) includes crap tyres, weird steeri and a
> strange chassis. (I note that the new M5 eschews all that electronica
> - the chief engineer was quoted as saying "we don't do stupid
> gimmicks"). Certainly 5ers equipped with Dynamic Drive and Active
> Steering (the Sport pack here is unrecognisably different) have been
> derided in Europe because of their trashy ride, odd roll response and
> weird, feel-free steering.
>
> "I... also have had a non-sport 25 as a loaner when the 45 I bought
> was in for the engine managment system recall and I think it's total
> dog off the line. "
>
> Of course it is, compared to your "45". (Isn't that a Rover?) Maybe
> assume that the guy *isn't* coming from a $60k, 333 bhp 'bahnstormer?

By 'crap tyres' do you mean the runflat jobbies?

Can these be changed for normal rubber or are the rims specifically designed
for run flats?

Jason Russell

Old September 21st 04, 07:03 PM
Ramone Cila

"Andrew Thomas" > wrote in message
om...
> "Why skip the sport package??"
>
> Because it (in the US, anyway) includes crap tyres, weird steeri and a
> strange chassis.

I agree with this in part. I have owned a 545 for about 9 months and before
buying, during my test drives found the run-flats and AS pretty much
ridiculous. What you get is a bad ride, quirky steering, muddled feedback,
and as a result of the Dynamic Drive, little tactile feel of the chassis. In
my opinion the only way an E60 feels like a BMW is no AS, no DD, No
run-flats....it is only then the superb chassis (this is where I disagree
with Andrew) identifies itself. It's better than the E39, but you won't get
to know that unless you do without the options I mention above.

I just don't get what it was BMW was thinking about when the offered these
cars with run-flat tires, Active Steering and Dynamic Drive. The good part
is you can indeed get one of these cars the way it should be. My 545 does
without these options, and it is a better car, or at least a better BMW, for
it.

Old September 21st 04, 10:05 PM
Andrew Thomas

"Dotcom Computers" > wrote in message >...
> In om,
> Andrew Thomas > typed:
> > "Why skip the sport package??"
> >
> > Because it (in the US, anyway) includes crap tyres, weird steering and a
> > strange chassis. (I note that the new M5 eschews all that electronica
> > - the chief engineer was quoted as saying "we don't do stupid
> > gimmicks"). Certainly 5ers equipped with Dynamic Drive and Active
> > Steering (the Sport pack here is unrecognisably different) have been
> > derided in Europe because of their trashy ride, odd roll response and
> > weird, feel-free steering.

> By 'crap tyres' do you mean the runflat jobbies?

Yup. AIUI the US-only Sport package uses bigger wheels with run-flat
tyres. (This is also the case with the M Sport package just launched
in Europe, and also every factory 17"18"/19" wheel option). As a
result of those incredibly stiff sidewalls, the ride goes to pot.
Same with the 1 series, 6 series, Z4 and X3, all of which have been
lambasted for their duff ride quality when so equipped.

Despite BMW's lament that their chassis (chassises?) are designed
around run-flats (there is plenty of evidence to suggest that they
aren't), it is perfectly possible to rip off the run-flats, fit a new
set of "real" tyres and save on chiropractor's bills. But (a) you
have to know this and (b) you have to spring for a new set of tyres
when the car rolls off the lot. The only upside is you can keep the
original ones and stick them back on the car when you sell it.