how far can you drive bmw without stopping?

Old August 17th 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Default how far can you drive bmw without stopping?

it's a fair question, i think. could someone point me in the right
direction?

i'm gonna be moving home for good. it's a 12.5 hour drive (roughly 850
miles). so, i'd like to know if there's a recommended way of handling
the drive.

i have a 1999 323i.

if this has been covered somewhere else already, could you post the
link here please? or you could directly email me:

Thanks.

Old August 17th 06, 04:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

> wrote
>
> i'm gonna be moving home for good. it's a 12.5 hour drive (roughly 850
> miles). so, i'd like to know if there's a recommended way of handling
> the drive.
>
> i have a 1999 323i.

If you're planning on doing it in 1 day, get a second driver to help you
out. I've done 900 miles in one day (took about 15 hours), and it can be
tiring, regardless how much you love driving. If you don't have a second
driver, split it in two days - your drive will be much more enjoyable, not
to mention safer.

Cheers,

Pete

Old August 17th 06, 04:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

This depends more on your bladder than the car. It doesn't need to stop.

You might though.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old August 17th 06, 04:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Oh boy. If i'm asking a question about how "I" want to handle the
drive, then why the #@$#@$#@ would I post it in "alt.autos.bmw"?

Since i got 3 replies- and none of you got my question, I'll take the
blame for not articulating the question properly.

So, here it is: Will there be any problems with my '99 323i car if I
drive it continuously for almost 13 hours/roughly 850 miles? There,
that's better. Thanks.

Still, I take credit for the post-question- "how far can you drive bmw
without stopping?" it wasn't "how far can you drive without stopping?"
now, was it???

-A

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html

Old August 17th 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Actually, I think Richard Sexton got it.
I'll definitely need to stop- for every 3 hours. At least for food. ;-)

Old August 17th 06, 04:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom Sanderson

> wrote:
> how far can you drive bmw without stopping?

> it's a fair question, i think. could someone point me in the right
> direction?
>
> i'm gonna be moving home for good. it's a 12.5 hour drive (roughly 850
> miles). so, i'd like to know if there's a recommended way of handling
> the drive.
>
> i have a 1999 323i.

Well, when I had to go cross country with my '97 318i, I could get 600 miles
per tank if I sucked it nearly dry. That's on open Internstate,
cruisecontrol at 70 mph the whole time.

If your 323i has an instantaneous fuel economy display, get yourself in a
nice level open road, put it in cruise at the speed you're going to do your
trip, and see what you're getting. Then just multiply that by your tank
capacity and you should be close.

Tom.

Old August 17th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

> wrote

> So, here it is: Will there be any problems with my '99 323i car if I
> drive it continuously for almost 13 hours/roughly 850 miles?

In that case, no.

Pete

Old August 17th 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
joe_tide

Richard did get it right.

I've driven straight through from Pennsylvania to Alabama (about 900 miles /
13 hours) - non-stop except for restroom stops and gas. The car seemed to
want to go on, but I was getting a little tired by then. ;-)

ups.com...