Single Bulb to Dual Bulb

Old May 25th 05, 03:11 PM
Andy

Default Single Bulb to Dual Bulb

Does anyone have any detailed directions on how to rewire the headlamps
from single bulb to the dual bulb headlights? I have a '97 Golf with
the plain looking single bulb design and am looking at converting them
to the much nicer looking dual bulb headlamps, but have no idea where
to start, and am not the most experienced auto electrician. So, I'm
looking for some help and directions.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's help.

Andy

Old May 25th 05, 07:51 PM
Joseph Meehan

Andy wrote:
> Does anyone have any detailed directions on how to rewire the
> headlamps from single bulb to the dual bulb headlights? I have a '97
> Golf with the plain looking single bulb design and am looking at
> converting them to the much nicer looking dual bulb headlamps, but
> have no idea where to start, and am not the most experienced auto
> electrician. So, I'm looking for some help and directions.
>

> Thanks, I appreciate everyone's help.
>

> Andy

I suspect the wiring it going to be the lesser of your problems. For
the wiring I suggest you start with a shop manual which will show you want
you now have in the wiring diagram section and then try to find the closest
thing that has dual lamps and see how they are wired.

Are you getting some sort of kit? If so I would expect it to address
the electrical issue. If not how are you going to attach those new lights.
Duct Tape?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 25th 05, 08:03 PM
Nathan Lucas

i'm asuming that it is this shape golf and these are the headlights you are
talking about
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...em=45506513 8
0&rd=1

if so, as far as i'm aware they are a direct swap, and have the same wiring
connector on them

oups.com...

Old May 25th 05, 10:56 PM

Andy,

One problem you will have when changing from a single H4 type bulb to
2x bulbs is that with the single bulb when driving on dipped beam only
one filament in each bulb is on; when you change to main beam the dip
beam filament switches off and the main beam one comes on.

With seperate bulbs, you need both bulbs to be lit (i.e. the dipped
beam and main beam circuits) when main beam is on.

This was the problem I came across recently when upgrading to xenon
lights.

A simple way to work around this is to connect the headlight power
supply wire from the rotary light switch directly to the dip beam wire
from the column switch (normally this supplies the 'input' side of the
column switch) so that the dip beams are constantly on when the
headlights are on. The column switch now only controls the main beams.
The flash facility will work as normal without any modification needed.

You need to join the wires between the column switch and the fusebox as
they seperate to the left and right hand fuses in the fusebox.
Also make sure you join the wires, do not cut the circuits as you still
need a supply to the column switch for the main beam part of the
system.

Hope this makes sense, if not drop me a line.

Dave.

Old May 26th 05, 02:23 AM
Matt B.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Andy,
>
> One problem you will have when changing from a single H4 type bulb to
> 2x bulbs is that with the single bulb when driving on dipped beam only
> one filament in each bulb is on; when you change to main beam the dip
> beam filament switches off and the main beam one comes on.
>
> With seperate bulbs, you need both bulbs to be lit (i.e. the dipped
> beam and main beam circuits) when main beam is on.

Not necessarily. Some cars are wired like that and some are not.

> A simple way to work around this is to connect the headlight power
> supply wire from the rotary light switch directly to the dip beam wire
> from the column switch (normally this supplies the 'input' side of the
> column switch) so that the dip beams are constantly on when the
> headlights are on. The column switch now only controls the main beams.
> The flash facility will work as normal without any modification needed.

Another solution is found he
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/pro...ber=1H6998531E

It's not so much the headlamp switch, but the jumper that comes with it. If
you don't already have this switch you might want to look into it anyway
because it gives you controls for front and rear fogs if you decide to add
those later.

Old May 26th 05, 02:31 AM
Matt B.

"Nathan Lucas" > wrote in message
> i'm asuming that it is this shape golf and these are the headlights you
> are
> talking about
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...em=45506513 8
> 0&rd=1
>
> if so, as far as i'm aware they are a direct swap, and have the same
> wiring
> connector on them

it really depends on if this is a euro-spec or a US/Canadian spec Golf. The
US/Canadian lamps had the connectors at each bulb whereas the Euro ones have
one connector on the outside of the lamp and all the wiring to each bulb was
taken care of inside the lamp shell between the back of the lamp and the
back of the reflectors themselves. The Euro one would be a direct swap but
the US/Canadian would require minor rewiring.

Also if it's a US car, you might want to consider this swap...to dual-bulb
Euro units:
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/pro...%2E651%2D66 1

That same site shows the dual-bulb US units as $120/side (so $240 total) and
these Euro units are $325. So for just $85 more you get the superior
Euro-spec lamp units anyway. Looks like it's plug-n-play as a kit too
except for minor modification to the radiator support (the Euro and US cars
had a difference here that affected the lamp mounting).

Old May 26th 05, 08:34 PM

Matt B. wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Andy,
> >
> > One problem you will have when changing from a single H4 type bulb to
> > 2x bulbs is that with the single bulb when driving on dipped beam only
> > one filament in each bulb is on; when you change to main beam the dip
> > beam filament switches off and the main beam one comes on.
> >
> > With seperate bulbs, you need both bulbs to be lit (i.e. the dipped
> > beam and main beam circuits) when main beam is on.

> Not necessarily. Some cars are wired like that and some are not.

Maybe not, but VWs are.

Old May 27th 05, 03:42 PM
Matt B.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Not necessarily. Some cars are wired like that and some are not.

> Maybe not, but VWs are.

what i'm getting at is it's not any type of requirement law-wise in the US
to have to keep the lows on with the highs on a quad-lamp car so you don't
*need* to modify the wiring to have them stay on, as someone indicated.

Old May 27th 05, 09:34 PM

I understand, but if the dips go out, you lose the light immediatley in
front of the car and are only using a longer narrower beam so
illumination is impaired.
Although it may not be law, I think it is necessary from a safety point
of view.

DAve

Old May 28th 05, 08:52 AM
Matt B.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I understand, but if the dips go out, you lose the light immediatley in
> front of the car and are only using a longer narrower beam so
> illumination is impaired.
> Although it may not be law, I think it is necessary from a safety point
> of view.

depends. if I need to see long-range, having a lot of light close in front
of the car to me is actually somewhat distracting. if I need to see 800
feet down the road with high beams on, that's where my eyes are focused
anyway and I really don't need a lot of light 75 feet in front of my bumper.

Single Bulb to Dual Bulb [email protected] VW air cooled 3 May 25th 05 03:21 PM
Bulb output degradation Daniel J. Stern Technology 0 March 24th 05 09:42 PM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
Will dual chamber GTI Headlights fit single bulb? Nathan Lucas VW water cooled 1 January 12th 05 03:23 AM