Copy of email to [email protected]

Old March 3rd 05, 08:48 PM
Julian Edge

"SteveH" > wrote in message

> It's even funnier when you find out he paid several grand over the odds
> for a heap of ****e ;-)

I guess I'm not smart like you.

How much do you think?

<tumbleweed>

Old March 3rd 05, 08:58 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

No doubt we are all eager to find out what reply you get.

DAS

---

"Julian Edge" > wrote in message
> Sirs
>
> I am writing to you to explain the reasons behind my bitter disappointment
> with BMW.

[...]

Old March 3rd 05, 09:07 PM
Adrian

IT'S A EURO-ROVER, OLD MAN! ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

>> That's what you get for buying an E36 I'm afraid.
>>
>> They're the biggest heap of ****e ever to wear the BMW badge.

> Arguable. Don't forget the 'Compact', not to mention the stuff they're
> pushing out since.

Who said "X3" and "1-series"?

>> Steve H 'You're not a real petrolhead unless you've owned an Alfa Romeo'

> <LOL!> Bin there! I'd rather have the Beamer ;0

Bin there. Two E36s, a 155 and a 75. Sorry, Munich. I'm in Milan.
Old March 3rd 05, 09:14 PM
Alex Buell

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:13:52 -0000, "Julian Edge"
> wrote:

>A 'phone call from the dealer informed me that the inspection had been
>paused, since the engineer had discovered problems requiring immediate
>attention, incurring a cost of approximately =A32,000.00! (Please =

understand
>that all previous services have been carried out at a cost of between
>=A3300.00 and =A3500.00.)

I'm shocked it was that much for a car that's only done 65,000 miles,
and now you're writing it off. I'm due to pay =A31,309 for my latest
service plus MOT and repairs on my Audi 2.6 V6 cabriolet, and she's
done 187,000 miles.=20

Cheers,
Alex.
--=20
http://www.munted.org.uk
Old March 3rd 05, 09:24 PM
Peter Corlett

Alex Buell > wrote:
[...]
> I'm shocked it was that much for a car that's only done 65,000 miles,
> and now you're writing it off. I'm due to pay £1,309 for my latest
> service plus MOT and repairs on my Audi 2.6 V6 cabriolet, and she's
> done 187,000 miles.

I plan to pay about £300 for my next car, and I'll be driving it until
the engine blows up and the bodywork finally rusts away completely.

--
A friend of mine once phoned the NOC at the far end of a link, having seen
packet loss increasing, and was told "It's the monsoon season here, and we just
Old March 3rd 05, 09:27 PM
Jeff Strickland

Good luck with this. You are on your own.

Your car was manufactured in 1996, so it must be a 1997 model, or I suppose
it could be a late model '96. Given we are in '05 now, this makes the car 9
years old, give or take a few months. I would expect a long list of rubber
and plastic parts are looking at replacement now or soon.

What you need to do is go over the list and buy some of the parts and
install them yourself, or pay the dealership to put them on. Either way,
move on.

"Julian Edge" > wrote in message
> Sirs
>
> I am writing to you to explain the reasons behind my bitter disappointment
> with BMW.
>
> In April 2001, I purchased an 'Approved' 318i from a dealership near High
> Wycombe.
>
> The vehicle was originally manufactured in 1996 and was clearly well cared
> for, having a full service history with the dealer and so I thought that

it
> would be prudent to continue this arrangement.
>
> During my four years of ownership, I have remained faithful to the
> dealership and ensured that the vehicle has received regular servicing,
> including a 'full service' of the air conditioning system in 2003.
>
> Thankfully, there have been no major problems with the vehicle, with the
> exception of a blown head gasket, which your staff assured me was due to

'a
> dodgy gasket - a million to one chance'!
>
> Today, my car was presented to the dealer for its '65,000 mile service'
> (which, I am assured is low mileage for a BMW of this age; to quote your
> staff again: 'These cars run for ever').
>
> A 'phone call from the dealer informed me that the inspection had been
> paused, since the engineer had discovered problems requiring immediate
> attention, incurring a cost of approximately £2,000.00! (Please understand
> that all previous services have been carried out at a cost of between
> £300.00 and £500.00.)
>
> When I naturally enquired after the nature of the work (expecting the
> engineer to immediately inform me of some major impending disaster) I was
> treated to an exhaustive list of trivial issues, beginning with 'The wiper
> blades need replacing' and including 'The air conditioning belt is about

> split'. Apparently, the air conditioning belt is not inspected during a
> 'full service' of the air conditioning system.
>
> I was then informed that it would cost about £1,000.00 to simply repair

the
> car to a roadworthy condition. After establishing that the vehicle is only
> valued at the cost of the service, we finally agreed that I would pay
> £340.00 for the 'work carried out so far'. (This included replacing the
> screenwash; if the engineer had bothered to open the boot, he would have
> found a full bottle of screenwash to the right.) In short, I paid £340.00
> for a piece of paper telling me that my car is a pile of crap. This may
> sound dramatic, however your staff agreed wholeheartedly with my analysis.
>
> At this point, I would like to congratulate you on the impeccable

standards
> that you continually maintain in the manufacture of motor cars!
>
> This is my first BMW, after many years of driving vehicles originating

from
> Germany, Japan, USA and the rest of Europe. The unbelieveble experience of
> comfort, control and freedom that I associate with driving your cars
> compensates abundantly for the patronising attitude of your sales staff

from
> Windsor to Worthing ("Have you driven a BMW before?")
>
> I will continue to drive my beautiful 318i for as long as I can. However,
> unlike yesterday, I cannot continue to support or recommend your products

in
> any way. Basically, I wouldn't buy a new one if you begged me to; at least
> not until somebody can adequately explain how such a wonderful machine can
> become a 'write-off' in the space of twelve months.
>
> I am certain that the fact you are opening a new dealership at the end of

my

Old March 3rd 05, 09:32 PM
Cockburn

"Julian Edge" > wrote in message

> Sirs
>
> I am writing to you to explain the reasons behind my bitter disappointment
> with BMW.

Oi, Huge! What was that link again?

Old March 3rd 05, 09:33 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> No doubt we are all eager to find out what reply you get.
>
> DAS

I just got done telling him he is on his own, I couldn't care less what kind
of response he gets unless they offer to buy the car back and give him a new
one as a replacement. Barring that, I don't care what they say.

Old March 3rd 05, 09:36 PM
Andrew Thomas

SteveH wrote:
> Julian Edge > wrote:
>
> > Sirs
> >
> > I am writing to you to explain the reasons behind my bitter

disappointment
> > with BMW.
> >
> > In April 2001, I purchased an 'Approved' 318i from a dealership

near High
> > Wycombe.

> That's what you get for buying an E36 I'm afraid.

Argh! Chippy Brit alert!

My E36 was a model of reliability, as were the E36s known to me owned
by friends.

> They're the biggest heap of ****e ever to wear the BMW badge.

You've obviously never tried an E23

Old March 3rd 05, 09:37 PM
Julian Edge

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message

> No doubt we are all eager to find out what reply you get.

<C/P>
Thank you for contacting BMW Customer Service. One of our executives will
look into your enquiry to be able to provide you with the necessary reply.